Report: Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (Thai spouse) from HCMC

Ask the hotel to get you Grab taxi.

We always stay in district two on the riverside. Used a few places and normal taxi to the embassy, district 1, is around 180,000 - 200,000, each way.

Grab was 150,000 round trip.

Ok it's not a bank breaker in the first place but if you smoke and like a beer on your room balcony with cigs

( Marlboro Gold ) at 25,000 a pack, 240,000 a carton and Tiger/Heineken at roughly the same price it feels like freebies ????????

This time was the first I have seen ( at pick-up ) in the consulate a small pile 4 or 5 passports to one side and one person being told their application had been rejected, not sure what visa or nationality being denied but the person was told 'if you take your passport you will have to re-submit and it will take another two days or you can leave your passport, return tomorrow and talk with someone about it'.

Just picked up my Non-O (1 year multiple entry) this afternoon, fairly easy process as already outlined by OP poka513 but have a few points to add in.

* I stayed in district 1 on Ly Tu Trong street, situated between the old Presidential Palace of Sth Vietnam and Ben Thanh Market.

* From the main gate of the old Presidential Palace SVN in a North Westerly direction you find about 1km away the Thai Consulate, about 100m  before on the same road is the Japanese  Embassy. The area seems to be main diplomatic area and high end housing.  From where i was staying I walked to the Thai consulate, weather was fine, the streets are classic french bouluvard wide foot paths very green took about 20mins.

* When applying for Non-O my wife did the letter on basis of seeing/staying with her and the kids.  If you are going to indicate thai children ensure you take the kid's birth certificates & copies incase they want to see it.  In this case they did also ask to see the kids birth certificates and took the copies I had as well.  For further verification on the children the ask if I had their passports which i did, the embassy staff looked at the passports to  cross verify details with the children's  birth certificates.  Luckily I have been in the habit of taking all the kids docs with me when applying for Non-O - previously I had been going to Savannakhet.

*  I did also have the original & copy of the wife change name documents when we got married, just incase they did ask for it.

* I drop off my application on Thursday morning at around 9am no que walked straight , in the 10mins i was there about 6 people making applications of sorts.

* pickup today from 1.30pm - i arrive 5 mins beforehand and wait with about 12 people in/out 5 mins.

* 1 thing I noticed with the Non-O visa i received today  they indicated in hand-writing on the visa label in the "remarks" section  the visa is for staying with wife (loosely translated by my wife) and they wrote her name  - different to what they do  compared to Savannakhet which they never indicate anything in remarks.

All in all less stressful process here in HCMC - interesting city to visit relatively cheap, more scooters than thailand that's for sure!   Oh ATM's aren't abundant and not all accept foreign cards but it seems to be getting better for ATMs. Bring plenty of cash and get a mixture of Vietnamese Dong and US$ in small bills - US$ is widely accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Regarding Multi Entry O visa based on marriage, I understand you must leave Thailand every 90 days. How long do you need to be outside of Thailand before getting back in for an additional 90 days? Would you be able to leave for one night and re-enter and be good for another 90 days? 

1 hour ago, regularguy said:

How long do you need to be outside of Thailand before getting back in for an additional 90 days?

Just long enough to be stamped in and out of another country before returning to Thailand.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I note that the OP did the process in two days. Submitted Thursday, collected Friday. However, the website for the consulate advises two working days. So not sure if I should plan to stay for two nights. I was planning to fly TG arrive 9.15 am on a Tuesday, go straight to the consulate to submit papers, then collect the visa next day after lunch. Then return to BKK on the 8.10 pm flight on the Wednesday

On 8/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, poka513 said:

I now have a one year multi-entry visa based on marriage and except for TM-30s, do not have to deal with local Immigration, but do need to do a border run every 90 days. The family is already thinking about where we will go for future holidays every 3 months.

Not strictly correct.

You can obtain a 60 day extension to each 90 day entry, making a border run after 150 days.

If used to it's maximum potential you can stay in Thailand for almost 17 months before applying for a new Visa, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, poka513 said:

now have a one year multi-entry visa based on marriage and except for TM-30s, do not have to deal with local Immigration, but do need to do a border run every 90 days. The family is already thinking about where we will go for future holidays every 3 months.

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Not strictly correct.

You can obtain a 60 day extension to each 90 day entry, making a border run after 150 days.

If used to it's maximum potential you can stay in Thailand for almost 17 months before applying for a new Visa, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions.

Actually, to get the extension, would require trips to the local immigration office.   So if the office staff aren't friendly or are too far away, the border run might be preferred.

Granted, the 60 day extension is much easier to obtain than the 1 year extension for visiting Thai family.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to give this thread a slight bump...

For those of us married to Thais, but having been here for years on extensions for retirement, sourced from original Non Imm O-A visa -- we're now faced with switching to a married extension or getting a Non Imm O visa, from which to continue our retirement extensions (to avoid Thai health insurance). For me, switching to the married extension, with the Kor Ror 22 goatroap (with trips to US Consulate, translator, MFA interface, then Amphur), followed by trip to Immigration, then again in 30 days, photographs of couple in bed (whatever), visit by the gendarme  to our house, witnesses, wife needed at Immigration, blah blah.  -- is NOT superior to getting a Non Imm O visa.

And, by all reports, a small vacation to Saigon (which would be interesting after 40 years) to get a Non Imm O visa, based on being married to a Thai, would seem stress-free (easy air connections, nice hotels, efficient consular operations, etc). Then, no multi visits to Immigration -- just apply (after 60 days back in country) -- with a one time visit, for a retirement extension (being optimistic the health insurance lunacy hasn't spread to Non Imm O visas). Oh, and no worry about what to do in later years, should I become a widower, with no more married extension option, and with physical restraints on travel....

Anyway, just want to keep the Saigon option front and center. So, any new speed bumps since this thread was previously updated? Or (hopefully), more kudos?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my first one year multiple Non O at HCMC last week. I normally do this in the UK but no longer available. Everything went OK apart from a minor issue. My current Non O expires 29 March and they initially said they could not issue a new Non O while the old Non O was still valid. Then then asked me to write a letter asking them to cancel the old Non O and explaining why I was applying for a new Non O in HCMC. I just wrote that I was on business in HCMC and was taking the opportunity to update my visa while I was there.

One piece of advice. While sitting in the waiting area I overheard a conversation between a very frustrated visa applicant and the officers. He was complaining that he could find no where with free wifi and the photocopy shops they recommend are no longer in business. If you go to HCMC for a Non O, get a data bundle and stay at a hotel nearby where you can get any copying done.  And a Grab account. Very cheap and plenty of cars available. 

Edited by pj123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pj123 said:

they initially said they could not issue a new Non O while the old Non O was still valid. Then then asked me to write a letter asking them to cancel the old Non O and explaining why I was applying for a new Non O in HCMC

Hmmm.  I wonder if that would work for applying for a Non O with a couple of weeks left on my extension of stay, still alive because of a valid re-entry permit?   Did you really have to push the issue -- or were they accommodating? Thanx.

stay at a hotel nearby where you can get any copying done.

Any recommendations?

They initially said it was a problem but I asked them nicely if they could help. She spoke to someone in the back office and then returned to advise if I could write a letter explaining the circumstances that should be OK. They gave me a sheet of paper and a scribbled a quick Dear Sir ...... 

I stayed at the Sila Urban Living. https://www.silaliving.com/

10 minutes walk to the consulate. 4,000 THB with breakfast.