German man in Pattaya seriously injured after being attacked by an elephant

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Could have been worse, the elephant could have tried mating with him,

There's a video out there showing where an elephant squatted down on the poor caretaker's head.  They had to pull his head out of the elephant's <deleted>.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BestB said:

There is no doubt it is wrong to

use this majestic beasts for tourist entertainment but the knuckle head was told to go away as he was making elephant uncomfortable but of course why would he listen? 

I was wondering if the elephant was out on a public road or the cyclist riding in some park area..... I know Germans can be obstinate but he may well have just wanted to get by rather than turn around and head back the way he came. 

The owner is responsible, as would a dog owner had a dog attacked him on a public road. Elephants are less predictable and this poor one had been dragged across the country.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was wondering if the elephant was out on a public road or the cyclist riding in some park area..... I know Germans can be obstinate but he may well have just wanted to get by rather than turn around and head back the way he came. 

The owner is responsible, as would a dog owner had a dog attacked him on a public road. Elephants are less predictable and this poor one had been dragged across the country.

No the owner would not be responsible even if it was a dog and you were on public road. If I tell you to stop screaming or my dog will

bite you but you refuse and insists on staying , you are 100% at fault and would not win or get anything .

maybe in your imaginary world it works differently, in real world you take responsibility for your actions and there are consequences for failing to do so

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

They have been involved with humans for over a thousand years. 

Involved?

Oh yes!

Used as workforce, transport, warmachine, tourist show, etcetera, etcetera.

That doesn't mean they are tame animals!

The elephant then became more distressed and charged, resulting in serious injuries to his German man’s leg.

The German man received first aid at the scene and was then transferred to hospital for further treatment.

Vets later managed to subdue the elephant by shooting him with a tranquilliser dart.

An investigation into why the elephant attacked the German has been launched.

The elephant had recently been brought to Pattaya to perform for tourists. 

They had to call a vet, so what did Mr. Chang do to others? A rampage? 

A 200 baht fine for the pheleant. ????????

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The elephant then became more distressed and charged, resulting in serious injuries to his German man’s leg.

The German man received first aid at the scene and was then transferred to hospital for further treatment.

Vets later managed to subdue the elephant by shooting him with a tranquilliser dart.

An investigation into why the elephant attacked the German has been launched.

The elephant had recently been brought to Pattaya to perform for tourists. 

A 200 baht fine for the pheleant. ????????

Who will speak for the elephant (in the room) ????

Will it be invited to give a statement??

20 hours ago, SammyT said:

If they didnt bring these animals to put on shows for tourists, things like this would never happen. Common sense seems to be lacking here, what a surprise.

Common sense was lacking in two areas... the elephant brought in only for a public show & the German thinking he knows better than anyone else !

Despite locals and members of staff from the elephant village warning the man to leave the area, he stayed.

Hello! When the locals and the staff tell you the elephant is agitated, and you should leave, why would you stay around? Why take that risk? Why not just turn around and get out of the area? Why was he not using his brain, and being protective of himself? Is he an absolute dunce? An arrogant fool? A stubborn mule? What gives here? What is the lesson in this story? 

19 hours ago, Myran said:

What? A huge and obviously potentially dangerous elephant is by the road, and you're saying it makes sense that the German guy didn't listen to the warnings of other people because "he cycles down that soi every day"?

That's got to be the most brain dead reasoning I've read all week.

Is it a trunk road?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Despite locals and members of staff from the elephant village warning the man to leave the area, he stayed.

Hello! When the locals and the staff tell you the elephant is agitated, and you should leave, why would you stay around? Why take that risk? Why not just turn around and get out of the area? Why was he not using his brain, and being protective of himself? Is he an absolute dunce? An arrogant fool? A stubborn mule? What gives here? What is the lesson in this story? 

He must of been jacko45 friend , claiming it’s public street and he will do what he wants .

2 lessons and both  simple, do not take on an elephant and do not be German ????

Male elephants are periodically in musth with testosterone levels on average 60 to 70 times higher than normal but it can often be as high as twice that elevated average (140 times higher than normal).  It makes them very dangerously aggressive and ready to fight other males (or other anythings) to compete to mate with cow elephants in heat.  It also tends to give them headaches from swellings of the temporal glands, which secrete a sticky liquid that trickles down their faces.  All mahouts and handlers can do is try to keep the animal calm.  Indeed, even mahouts, who have grown up with their elephant, can be attacked and killed.  Any warning from staff should be heeded.  If this particular bull elephant was in musth, in this case, the man very unwisely decided not to take warning.

21 hours ago, BestB said:

There is no doubt it is wrong to

use this majestic beasts for tourist entertainment but the knuckle head was told to go away as he was making elephant uncomfortable but of course why would he listen? 

Perhaps.  But maybe "I told him to go away" is the Mahoot equivalent of "My brakes failed"?

23 hours ago, SammyT said:

If they didnt bring these animals to put on shows for tourists, things like this would never happen. Common sense seems to be lacking here, what a surprise.

He was warned and ignored the warning? I do not understand your response.

They warned him to stay away, but the German wouldn't listen.  So he can only blame himself. 

This video shows how to do it right if you happen to meet an elephant on a bicycle ride. 

19 hours ago, BestB said:

No the owner would not be responsible even if it was a dog and you were on public road. If I tell you to stop screaming or my dog will

bite you but you refuse and insists on staying , you are 100% at fault and would not win or get anything .

maybe in your imaginary world it works differently, in real world you take responsibility for your actions and there are consequences for failing to do so

I don't agree, but we could leave it at that. I can certainly give an elephant more leeway but as far as dogs are concerned, if it attacks someone, on public land, it should not be there. The owner of a dog also has to take responsibility for it's actions and have it under control at all times. That would not apply if a person attacked the owner or was on private property of course.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

They have been involved with humans for over a thousand years. 

General Hannibal crossed the Alps with his elephants into Italy over 2,200 years ago!

Archived