New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

rooster59

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They have to deal with the corruption first, everything else will be nothing but empty words.

So no road safety initiative or similar can possibly take place until all corruption is wiped out. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, grahambkk said:

I tried the new APP mentioned in the article. The first problem, written in Thai only. Not unusual so I navigated through that and set up a password. Then the final hurdle was the APP wanted me to take a QR code, presumably from my Thai driving licence. But there is no QR code on the licence! So, the APP looks like it is not useful at all!!

You can register visa "no QR Code" it's the last option on the  menu, the only issue is when I enter the 6 digit OTP code into the field provided they send in your email address it hangs here (well at least on my iPhone 6) and you cannot hit the Agreed button below to continue as the virtual keypad sits over the top masking of the Agreed button. 

Tried it on my Android Wiko got further but failed with the 6 digit password.....................justs gets locked in a loop of pw not matching?????

Tried another iPhone 6 got a little further but when the App goes to scan the QR code on my Thai licence it says information does not match.

O'h F### me I give up..........................

Well I won't carry on here about useless Thailand software apps as it could be stupid me at this stage................any suggestions welcomed from those that have been success with this app.. 

No QR Code.png

OTP Code.png

59 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Lifelong accepted attitudes and actions need to be changed if this is to happen. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how this change be approached and then implemented.

> well I’m not a politician or police man but I do see danger every time I drive my vehicle which is why I mention the problem. How about starting by using the traffic cameras to capture and fine the riders who drive dangerously and undertake illegally.

59 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

How long do you think it will take for this change to become ingrained in society?

I have no idea how long it would take, why do you ask? 

19 hours ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

Non-severe drink driving that the alcohol content that gives one the "happy aura" when driving....not having a care in the world and not really knowing the speed they are doing. 

Well that will encourage punters to go out and get their licence. No licence = no points lost = no problem! In that case, they should confiscate the bike until said rider produces a valid licence (regardless of whether the rider is the owner of the bike or not). They can make a million laws and nothing will change. 

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There are two points for going through red lights, driving the wrong way and driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). 

In cases where drivers are very drunk or injuries are caused three or even four points can be taken away. 

Losing all 12 points means a 90 day suspension. Repeat offenders who lose their next 12 points will be banned for a year.

3 perfect examples why it will have zero effect !!!!

1: You can go through a red light 6 times & only get a 90 day ban... no deterrent.
2: You can DUI up to 3 or 4 or even 6 times before anything is done.

3: Losing all 12 points means you are a danger on the road... but you only get a 90 day suspension before you can go out and obviously re-offend again !!!!

Watered down to appease the public.

19 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well, we all know the laws in the US and the UK are way, way over the top. Some are good, and some are just ridiculous. This is just part of the reason why living there is such a nightmare in hell. The police have way too much power, and some of the laws and fines are beyond onerous. In the US now, most speeding tickets are 10,000 baht or more. It is just stupid. 

Granted Thailand to date has been just the opposite. The laws have been lax to the point where there is no deterrent at all. Perhaps they can find some sort of balance between the two extremes. One hopes this place does not become as draconian and fascist as the laws back home have become. 

17 minutes ago, berrec said:

You can register visa "no QR Code" it's the last option on the  menu, the only issue is when I enter the 6 digit OTP code into the field provided they send in your email address it hangs here (well at least on my iPhone 6) and you cannot hit the Agreed button below to continue as the virtual keypad sits over the top masking of the Agreed button. 

Tried it on my Android Wiko got further but failed with the 6 digit password.....................justs gets locked in a loop of pw not matching?????

Tried another iPhone 6 got a little further but when the App goes to scan the QR code on my Thai licence it says information does not match.

O'h F### me I give up..........................

Well I won't carry on here about useless Thailand software apps as it could be stupid me at this stage................any suggestions welcomed from those that have been success with this app.. 

No QR Code.png

OTP Code.png

Further investigation seems to be the poor QR scanner quality of the App (when you get to that step); my QR Code on my licence is slightly faded and not knowing what QR standard they used to generate the on-card licence QR code image I am not sure how many places in the QR code information is replicated in the image.

But I can read it with an iPhone scanner app and an alphanumeric string is displayed but seems to bear no relationship to the licence information when I look at it even trying to decode it. (could be just random rubbish data) 

Nice if they provided a textural input option as a failsafe for QR code scans that fail or have a data mismatch reading....

I would think that many people (that have a Thai licence 555) could have faded QR codes due to the plastic card being in their wallets for long periods of time and rubbing against it over many months or years...... o'h well we live in hope.............

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So no points for speeding, wish they would stop sending me tickets.

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So no points for speeding, wish they would stop sending me tickets.

I am sure you can think of something to avoid receiving speeding tickets.

A clue: I have never received one - or any other kind of ticket

18 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Hard but has produced results...

Not only losing one's licence for a minimum of one year but in reality 18 - 24 months or more which often leads to people losing their jobs,  and it has become socially unacceptable to D&D, though I have a friend who lost his licence for being over the limit, he worked for a brewery where it was at the time (30-40 years ago) was accepted as a work related hazard, kept his job, kept his company car and had staff drive him to and from home and to meetings.

Though in the UK the limit is 80mg with the exception of Scotland which is 50mg which is the figure used by most countries in the world, may be time for England, Wales & NI to adopt the 50 limit but be somewhat softer on those falling in the 50 -80mg range.

But just as dangerous is drugs which only the last few years have police had the technology  to test drivers for some drugs.   

I'm really curious to see how they will do with all these points they want to distribute, the police are virtually invisible and when they set up checkpoints, they don't check.
Small tip, also check the situation of the vehicles, no plates, lights or brakes or even all of them non-existent, etc.!

2 hours ago, grahambkk said:

Has anyone tried using the new DLT APP? It asks for a QR code but my Thailand driving licence does not have one.

I tried it - same problem too. One of the Mrs's 2 licences has a QR code on it though so we are going to try that. For the rest of us - useless app.

I don't see the problem with the alcohol points system. Having one beer, or maybe even two for the hardcore among us, does not make you drunk but it will probably put you over the limit. That's completely different to downing a bottle of whiskey or two and jumping in your pick up. 

The Big Joke must be back in action to organize this new system. Yes it is a BIG JOKE. I cannot believe how this new arrangement can be so minor in contrast to other countries. In Newcastle NSW Australia we get charged $250 AUD For a Parking Ticket . This is  like swatting a FLY  with A Feather Duster. PATHETIC to say the least. Surely the Back Handers will continue even though they are more expensive than the "FINE" ???? 

Fines for tourists seem to be much to low.
2 days ago in a Chiang Mai checkpoint a backpacker girlie was fined 1000THB for a missing international licence.
She was laughing about the low fine and said that this is the cheapest and easiest way to get permission to drive for 3 days.
She got the tipp about this on a backpacker forum...

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

driving the wrong way

Wow there are  going to be millions of Thais and Policeman affected  by this  one by me, I dont think anyone doesnt drive the wrong way daily.

That said  however I  think there  will be  an usual realaxtion of driving the wrong way on the "hard  shoulder" lane all  over  Thailand when the "unfair" chanting starts from the Thais

20 hours ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

1  point can still walk, 2  points  can only crawl, 3  points  comatose with vehicle  upside down, 4  points same as  above but dead  people  scattered  around.

Archived