New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

rooster59

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

283490_241834182515954_3783331_n.jpg?_nc

I would like to think this is a note of admiration without any inference of a "holier than thou" inclination.

Thank you anyway!

A shout out to all those who believe that driving within the law has some element of virtue contained therein.

Shirley you can't be serious?

(And don't call me Shirley)

What a joke..

Farcical.

Another knee jerk attempt at law enforcement by children...

They should have tattoos on their todgers saying,

"Not to be used for breeding purposes"

Start looking at what other countries are doing and replicate it. 

20 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

This is NOT the Uk. Brazil have a similar system for low level drink driving. Points only for a few beers. Have an accident and you are in deep doo doo though. A far more practical and realistic system.

Not everyone who has three beers turns into a homicidal driving maniac as the Western Governments want s to believe and artificially construct social pressure to do support this.

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

many months ago ANT got a whopping fime of 84k G B P and 20 month ban for D U I..

the fine was based on what he earns....

They fine ants for drinking and driving in the UK? Surprised they even notice them.

What do they drive..maserantis?

So they will stay forever so you are likely to have a suspension of you have a license for like 30 years?

Is the point seperate for driver Motorbike and Drive car since it is different? 

Where is the APP?

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

.Hmmm ... 3 or 4 points for drunk driving.

Not in love with Aussie penalties due driving over the set limit ?

Does LOS have alcohol blood limits? Being a non drinker I’m not up to date with whether LOS does or not?

if they don’t they I respectfully suggest they get their collective legislative and judicial <deleted> into gear and make this law and enforce it!

points fir driving drunk what a farce ... suspension fines of significant size and even jail if repeat offender.

0.05 equivalent to OZ for a normal driver. No 0.02 for probationary driver or 0.0 for others such as truck and commercial drivers as far as I'm aware.

Mind you drink driving is a relatively small proportion of accidents these days In Oz and I suspects elsewhere. Speeding, tiredness and the ubiquitous mobile phone usage far outweighs that.

Read a study about a bloke who goes to a barbie after work. gets a few beers into him with his mates and the wife picks him up. All good. But the wife had been up half the night before with a young child, worked all day and got hubbie at 11pm. She was a higher risk of having an accident than the hubbie who was three parts to the wind due to being tired.

Why is anyone even bothering to post on here? Do you know how many Thais are driving without a licence anyway? How may have unlicensed vehicles? How many are not wearing headgear? In all these cases they do not have any insurance. Pathetic law enforcement - why do they even publicise these laws when they do not enforce them? Illegal for breakdown vehicles to show emergency vehicle lights??? Is that an ambulance up ahead - no it is some guy selling spare tyres.

Having said all of that I still live here because it is better than UK and Boris (Trump) Johnson.

How about all those cars on red plates. Red plates are effectively 'trade plates' for test driving only and during daylight hours. Thais get these on new cars until their plate arrives and the car is registered. This can take months in some cases. If these cars are seen going through red lights etc, what'll happen?

It's all quite retarded, isn't it really?

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There are two points for going through red lights, driving the wrong way and driving under the influence of alcohol

Well done, guys.  You've come up with some real deterrents!!!!

This is the second attempt at using a points system.  It didn't work last time (and was abandoned) and there's no reason for it to work this time. The last time points were cumulative to 40 points but the penalties were as ridiculous as they are in this attempt.

The weak link in any existing or new law is corruption. Much like the death rates for motor vehicles, it is not the vehicle (or in this case, the law), but rather the failure of enforcement of existing laws to prevent and catch violators.

Helmet laws? Scoffed at. Speed limits? Ignored. Passenger limits in vehicles? Always room for one more. Positive examples set by those in authority? A hearty laugh. Consequences for breaking the law? Depends on yoyr social status.

The system is broken and all the existing laws, proclamations, photo ops, appeals and threats are meaningless.

22 hours ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

Means do not need to cover one eye to focus (only dangerous because only one hand on wheel). 

Is there an expiry date for the points?

Are they deleted after a certain amount of time? ie after one year.

If not and if a typical driver gets say 3-4 points a year then in 3-4 years half the drivers in Thailand will be banned.

If so it will certainly solve the congested roads.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

This is NOT the Uk. Brazil have a similar system for low level drink driving. Points only for a few beers. Have an accident and you are in deep doo doo though. A far more practical and realistic system.

Not everyone who has three beers turns into a homicidal driving maniac as the Western Governments want s to believe and artificially construct social pressure to do support this.

The idea is to deter people from drinking and driving before they have an accident, not just to penalize them afterwards.

50 minutes ago, 2long said:

How about all those cars on red plates. Red plates are effectively 'trade plates' for test driving only and during daylight hours. Thais get these on new cars until their plate arrives and the car is registered. This can take months in some cases. If these cars are seen going through red lights etc, what'll happen?

It's all quite retarded, isn't it really?

So send the penalty notice to the registered owner, they can either pay up or chase after whoever had the car, the car dealers would know whose car the plates were on.

Same with hire cars.....

Same if you let your son/daughter drive ...

It’s all quite simple really.....

5 hours ago, grahambkk said:

I tried the new APP mentioned in the article. The first problem, written in Thai only. Not unusual so I navigated through that and set up a password. Then the final hurdle was the APP wanted me to take a QR code, presumably from my Thai driving licence. But there is no QR code on the licence! So, the APP looks like it is not useful at all!!

I just downloaded from the Apple Store Apps. OK, agree, I am in Thailand so I am not able to have ease of use. Fair enough. My Love translated the first line request is for Passport Number? 2nd Line? Not sure. Emails address or email Password. Stopped at this point and deleted App. Can try again but no way will I breach my security by voluntarily giving my email password out ... anyone  who can give clear instruction, I welcome being educated on this matter.

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I suppose one can be drunk driving and cause serious injuries or even death, 3-4 times before its game over? Is this a joke or what?

And the game would be over for only 90 days, after which they give you a second chance of serial maiming and killing.

This is beyond a joke. Only a Thai could come up with such a harebrained scheme. 

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I suppose one can be drunk driving and cause serious injuries or even death, 3-4 times before its game over? Is this a joke or what?

My understanding is that this 'point system' would be an extra punishment added to the normal 'punishment' (jail term/fines). Could be wrong though.

Archived