BANGKOK
rooster59

New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So no points for speeding, wish they would stop sending me tickets.

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So no points for speeding, wish they would stop sending me tickets.

I am sure you can think of something to avoid receiving speeding tickets.

A clue: I have never received one - or any other kind of ticket

3 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am sure you can think of something to avoid receiving speeding tickets.

A clue: I have never received one - or any other kind of ticket

283490_241834182515954_3783331_n.jpg?_nc

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Hard but has produced results...

Not only losing one's licence for a minimum of one year but in reality 18 - 24 months or more which often leads to people losing their jobs,  and it has become socially unacceptable to D&D, though I have a friend who lost his licence for being over the limit, he worked for a brewery where it was at the time (30-40 years ago) was accepted as a work related hazard, kept his job, kept his company car and had staff drive him to and from home and to meetings.

Though in the UK the limit is 80mg with the exception of Scotland which is 50mg which is the figure used by most countries in the world, may be time for England, Wales & NI to adopt the 50 limit but be somewhat softer on those falling in the 50 -80mg range.

But just as dangerous is drugs which only the last few years have police had the technology  to test drivers for some drugs.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

Should be automatic ban 

I'm really curious to see how they will do with all these points they want to distribute, the police are virtually invisible and when they set up checkpoints, they don't check.
Small tip, also check the situation of the vehicles, no plates, lights or brakes or even all of them non-existent, etc.!

2 hours ago, grahambkk said:

Has anyone tried using the new DLT APP? It asks for a QR code but my Thailand driving licence does not have one.

I tried it - same problem too. One of the Mrs's 2 licences has a QR code on it though so we are going to try that. For the rest of us - useless app.

I don't see the problem with the alcohol points system. Having one beer, or maybe even two for the hardcore among us, does not make you drunk but it will probably put you over the limit. That's completely different to downing a bottle of whiskey or two and jumping in your pick up. 

Posted (edited)

The Big Joke must be back in action to organize this new system. Yes it is a BIG JOKE. I cannot believe how this new arrangement can be so minor in contrast to other countries. In Newcastle NSW Australia we get charged $250 AUD For a Parking Ticket . This is  like swatting a FLY  with A Feather Duster. PATHETIC to say the least. Surely the Back Handers will continue even though they are more expensive than the "FINE" ???? 

Edited by THE REVERAND

No driving license is a 500 THB fine for Thai. 
A 5,000 THB fine for farang !

Fines for tourists seem to be much to low.
2 days ago in a Chiang Mai checkpoint a backpacker girlie was fined 1000THB for a missing international licence.
She was laughing about the low fine and said that this is the cheapest and easiest way to get permission to drive for 3 days.
She got the tipp about this on a backpacker forum...

I expect to see more police patrolling the roads then . i have seen any for months 

How many points do you get on your licence for not having a licence?   Wait.... let me think about that one again.  😟

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

driving the wrong way

Wow there are  going to be millions of Thais and Policeman affected  by this  one by me, I dont think anyone doesnt drive the wrong way daily.

That said  however I  think there  will be  an usual realaxtion of driving the wrong way on the "hard  shoulder" lane all  over  Thailand when the "unfair" chanting starts from the Thais

Edited by gunderhill

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so best to pay right on the spot then?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

1  point can still walk, 2  points  can only crawl, 3  points  comatose with vehicle  upside down, 4  points same as  above but dead  people  scattered  around.