The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand's pub closing hours: Calling time on the "jukebox casualties!"

rooster59

On 8/27/2019 at 1:49 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I thought it was the Blue Parrot and the Malaysia hotel in Song Ngam Duplee. Alas The Thermae, referred to as Headquarters in The Killing Smile series novels now closes at midnight. I took a school party to the Croydon Advertiser and I lived on Anjuna Beach in Goa in the 70s and went to Manali for the 'rubbing' season. I do feel as evidenced by comments on TV, that since the days of Trink, expats here are now very mediocre and dull.

Ah...what year did you visit the Advertiser? I was there 1979 to 1982 working both in Croydon then in Sutton. Great preparation for a very different life that followed!

I still see three of my ex colleagues from Croydon on visits to the UK every year. One - a former photographer - is hoping to stand for the Tories in the next General Election. 

Rooster

• 2 months later...

Nothing wrong with 2 old guys on a porch reminiscing.

I first arrived in '87 and stayed at the Mermaids Rest on Suk soi 8. Wonderful little Danish hotel with cabins around the pool. Long gone now, replaced by a huge condo but its sister hotel, Stable Lodge is still there. I wonder if Danes still own it.

The Blue Fox on SND is now a 7/11 of course.

Used to watch videos at Woodstock in NEP during the day. There was a restaurant below called The something Rabbit and a Lebanese restaurant on the ground floor. Tilac and Darling were the main bars on SC. The only Micky Dees I knew of were at Amarin Plaza and Siam Center.

Many say Bangkok was better in the old days and while I have great fondness for back then, I think it's better now.

Archived