Legacy: Lifeguard ‘founder’ dream for water safety to become standard education closer to reality

rooster59

Legacy: Lifeguard ‘founder’ dream for water safety to become standard education closer to reality

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1566546656_1-org.jpg

A lifeguard watches over tourists at Patong Beach while wearing a black armband as a mark of respect after the death of Phuket lifeguard founder Prathaiyuth Chuayuan last Friday (Aug 16). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The island’s core contingent of lifeguards this week vowed to carry on the work of “founding father” Prathaiyuth Chuayaun in the hope of realising his dream of swimming and surf survival skills becoming a standard element of young children’s education.

Mr Prathaiyuth passed away after a heart attack last Friday morning (Aug 16). He was 57.

Funeral services for him were held at Wat Suwankhiriwong (Wat Patong), with his cremation held at the Laem Petch temple opposite Loma Park on the Patong beachfront on Wednesday (Aug 21).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/legacy-lifeguard-founder-dream-for-water-safety-to-become-standard-education-closer-to-reality-72610.php#jBJI2kO2cxEAkbFS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-24

I hope that Asian countries as well as Thailand can teach people basic water skills. A 19 year old man from India recently drowned here in Canada because he did not know how to swim, but went into deep water in a rubber dingy, then fell overboard. He did not have a lifejacket on as well.

I read of similar stories of Chinese tourists doing this when they go to the seaside beaches in Thailand, and I feel sad that they drowned, because they had no swimming skills.

Geezer

Archived