Jump to content
BANGKOK
AMichigan

Own home and land in Thailand with Thai and US Citizenship ?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I own a piece of land in Thailand. My parents gave it to me about 5 years ago. I live in United States. I'm a US Citizenship by Neutralization. I have both Thai and US Passport. The question is if I have 2 citizenship at the moment, Is it legal for me to own a land or a house in Thailand ? I would like to be sure in legal manner. If so, I plan to build a new house on that land as well.

 

Anyone has some experiences similar to this ? Thank you. AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well you are a Thai citizen and a citizen can own land here, so I would imagine that is not a problem. Do you have the title deed in your possession and is it your name?  Even if you do,  before you do anything with that land, I would take proper written legal advice and keep it in your files.  You just never know and a few thousand Baht spent with a good law firm will give you the reassurance that you need. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

well you are a Thai citizen and a citizen can own land here, so I would imagine that is not a problem. Do you have the title deed in your possession and is it your name?  Even if you do,  before you do anything with that land, I would take proper written legal advice and keep it in your files.  You just never know and a few thousand Baht spent with a good law firm will give you the reassurance that you need. 

From I understand Thai law does not allow you to have 2 citizens at the same time unless you were born with parents such as my son (half Thai and US). I'm still curious and wondering about this rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Assuming all is ok...Given the nature of the hand down, it would be a good idea to get the land surveyed before building....Someone might have encroached on your land - or maybe it's not correctly layed out now....Best to find out first & avoid possible claims/disputes ... 

Thank you for the advice. I've not thought about it before !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you have a Thai ID card  yes you can own land.

If you own the land make cetian you have the chanute.

Edited by Thongkorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

If you have a Thai ID card  yes you can own land.

If you own the land make cetian you have the chanute.

Can someone take my Thai ID away if they found out I have US Citizen and Thai at the same time? And then can the land be taken also?

Edited by AMichigan
not complete question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

Can someone take my Thai ID away if they found out I have US Citizen and Thai at the same time? And then can the land be taken also?

I have chanote. I have Thai ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

I have chanote. I have Thai ID.

 

7 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

I have chanote. I have Thai ID.

Then u are gravy. If you need a realtor to work with you to make sure all is on the up and up, I have one who is conveniently dual too.

 

Consider yourself to be a true winner of the life lottery with your us and Thai citizenship. The eagle and Garuda rule....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Does holding a Thai passport give rights to own land in Thailand? Do you have to be Thai born?

 

Are you registered on a tabien baan?

Edited by inThailand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Does holding a Thai passport give rights to own land in Thailand? Do you have to be Thai born?

 

Are you registered on a tabien baan?

Yes. I'm registered in tabien baan where current home and land where my parents gave it to me. When my dad transferred those assets to my name, the official just asked for only my Thai ID. and I have it. But how about in the future? If someone in the village recognize I own (small village) but they know I don't live there and report to the government branch. Would it be a problem ? I DON' KNOW about that. I tried to find information but Couldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AMichigan said:

Yes. I'm registered in tabien baan where current home and land where my parents gave it to me. When my dad transferred those assets to my name, the official just asked for only my Thai ID. and I have it. But how about in the future? If someone in the village recognize I own (small village) but they know I don't live there and report to the government branch. Would it be a problem ? I DON' KNOW about that. I tried to find information but Couldn't.

I have absolutely no idea but here's my take on it.

 

If you were actually questioned on the matter producing a Thai ID, passport and chanote with your name on it should shut everyone up. 

 

If they wished to press the issue that you have a US passport (which they don't actually know). I would think that person would have to (pay to) generate some interest in government offices. Then they would need to act. They would also need proof of second citizenship which you are not obligated to provide.

 

In the end you can just say....yeah, I'm giving it up or it's 'in process'. My suspicion everyone will drop it.

 

Even if the troublemaker wanted the land you'd still need to sell it to them. Making problems for you isn't perhaps the best method of getting there 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I have absolutely no idea but here's my take on it.

 

If you were actually questioned on the matter producing a Thai ID, passport and chanote with your name on it should shut everyone up. 

 

If they wished to press the issue that you have a US passport (which they don't actually know). I would think that person would have to (pay to) generate some interest in government offices. Then they would need to act. They would also need proof of second citizenship which you are not obligated to provide.

 

In the end you can just say....yeah, I'm giving it up or it's 'in process'. My suspicion everyone will drop it.

 

Even if the troublemaker wanted the land you'd still need to sell it to them. Making problems for you isn't perhaps the best method of getting there 🙂

Thank you everyone for the answers and advice. Today I just found information to answer some of my wondering. It's here :  https://www.refworld.org/pdfid/506c08862.pdf?fbclid=IwAR33RC2SrwgHhRTkGZq4kWPBgGuf7bwgo7uMjjpcvz3L_Z4L5wQVrcPEo9s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AMichigan said:

From I understand Thai law does not allow you to have 2 citizens at the same time unless you were born with parents such as my son (half Thai and US). I'm still curious and wondering about this rule.

My 21 year old daughter is duel nationality Brit/Thai and is a shareholder in our family company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AMichigan said:

I have chanote. I have Thai ID.

Then you have just answered your own question.

As said before building get a local province govt survey to confirm the boundary of your chanote.

Do your perimeter fence first would be my advice.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...