Own home and land in Thailand with Thai and US Citizenship ?

Hi,

I own a piece of land in Thailand. My parents gave it to me about 5 years ago. I live in United States. I'm a US Citizenship by Neutralization. I have both Thai and US Passport. The question is if I have 2 citizenship at the moment, Is it legal for me to own a land or a house in Thailand ? I would like to be sure in legal manner. If so, I plan to build a new house on that land as well.

Anyone has some experiences similar to this ? Thank you. AJ

well you are a Thai citizen and a citizen can own land here, so I would imagine that is not a problem. Do you have the title deed in your possession and is it your name?  Even if you do,  before you do anything with that land, I would take proper written legal advice and keep it in your files.  You just never know and a few thousand Baht spent with a good law firm will give you the reassurance that you need. 

Assuming all is ok...Given the nature of the hand down, it would be a good idea to get the land surveyed before building....Someone might have encroached on your land - or maybe it's not correctly layed out now....Best to find out first & avoid possible claims/disputes ... 

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

well you are a Thai citizen and a citizen can own land here, so I would imagine that is not a problem. Do you have the title deed in your possession and is it your name?  Even if you do,  before you do anything with that land, I would take proper written legal advice and keep it in your files.  You just never know and a few thousand Baht spent with a good law firm will give you the reassurance that you need. 

From I understand Thai law does not allow you to have 2 citizens at the same time unless you were born with parents such as my son (half Thai and US). I'm still curious and wondering about this rule.

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Assuming all is ok...Given the nature of the hand down, it would be a good idea to get the land surveyed before building....Someone might have encroached on your land - or maybe it's not correctly layed out now....Best to find out first & avoid possible claims/disputes ... 

Thank you for the advice. I've not thought about it before !

9 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

If you have a Thai ID card  yes you can own land.

If you own the land make cetian you have the chanute.

Can someone take my Thai ID away if they found out I have US Citizen and Thai at the same time? And then can the land be taken also?

7 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

I have chanote. I have Thai ID.

7 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

Then u are gravy. If you need a realtor to work with you to make sure all is on the up and up, I have one who is conveniently dual too.

Consider yourself to be a true winner of the life lottery with your us and Thai citizenship. The eagle and Garuda rule....

32 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Does holding a Thai passport give rights to own land in Thailand? Do you have to be Thai born?

Are you registered on a tabien baan?

Yes. I'm registered in tabien baan where current home and land where my parents gave it to me. When my dad transferred those assets to my name, the official just asked for only my Thai ID. and I have it. But how about in the future? If someone in the village recognize I own (small village) but they know I don't live there and report to the government branch. Would it be a problem ? I DON' KNOW about that. I tried to find information but Couldn't.

1 hour ago, AMichigan said:

Yes. I'm registered in tabien baan where current home and land where my parents gave it to me. When my dad transferred those assets to my name, the official just asked for only my Thai ID. and I have it. But how about in the future? If someone in the village recognize I own (small village) but they know I don't live there and report to the government branch. Would it be a problem ? I DON' KNOW about that. I tried to find information but Couldn't.

I have absolutely no idea but here's my take on it.

If you were actually questioned on the matter producing a Thai ID, passport and chanote with your name on it should shut everyone up. 

If they wished to press the issue that you have a US passport (which they don't actually know). I would think that person would have to (pay to) generate some interest in government offices. Then they would need to act. They would also need proof of second citizenship which you are not obligated to provide.

In the end you can just say....yeah, I'm giving it up or it's 'in process'. My suspicion everyone will drop it.

Even if the troublemaker wanted the land you'd still need to sell it to them. Making problems for you isn't perhaps the best method of getting there ????

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I have absolutely no idea but here's my take on it.

If you were actually questioned on the matter producing a Thai ID, passport and chanote with your name on it should shut everyone up. 

If they wished to press the issue that you have a US passport (which they don't actually know). I would think that person would have to (pay to) generate some interest in government offices. Then they would need to act. They would also need proof of second citizenship which you are not obligated to provide.

In the end you can just say....yeah, I'm giving it up or it's 'in process'. My suspicion everyone will drop it.

Even if the troublemaker wanted the land you'd still need to sell it to them. Making problems for you isn't perhaps the best method of getting there ????

Thank you everyone for the answers and advice. Today I just found information to answer some of my wondering. It's here :  https://www.refworld.org/pdfid/506c08862.pdf?fbclid=IwAR33RC2SrwgHhRTkGZq4kWPBgGuf7bwgo7uMjjpcvz3L_Z4L5wQVrcPEo9s

5 hours ago, AMichigan said:

From I understand Thai law does not allow you to have 2 citizens at the same time unless you were born with parents such as my son (half Thai and US). I'm still curious and wondering about this rule.

My 21 year old daughter is duel nationality Brit/Thai and is a shareholder in our family company. 

7 hours ago, AMichigan said:

Then you have just answered your own question.

As said before building get a local province govt survey to confirm the boundary of your chanote.

Do your perimeter fence first would be my advice.

10 hours ago, AMichigan said:

I answered this on another post.  My Thai/Brit daughter holds duel nationality and she is also a shareholding director in Thailand.  I think that should answer your query.   

On 8/25/2019 at 2:56 AM, AMichigan said:

That is a common misconception but when you come over you will see that there are many Thai holding dual citizenship. Many half Thai actors/actresses that have all the rights of full Thai citizens. Some hold more than 2 passports/nationality.  If you are half Thai you have all the rights as a full Thai including owning land, not needing a work permit or have to bother with visas to stay here. You can even arrive in Thailand on an expired passport as a returning Thai national.

Thailand has allowed multi nationality for about 30 years now, and it doesn't matter if you were born with it or got it by neutralization 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:05 AM, AMichigan said:

Can someone take my Thai ID away if they found out I have US Citizen and Thai at the same time? And then can the land be taken also?

No they can't. They can take a Thai ID/nationality from someone who got it through neutralization but only in extreme situations such as a violent criminal offence. They cannot take nationality from someone who was born as a Thai national.

You can have dual citizenship ( not against the law in Thailand   OR    the US ) 

The confusing part is when you talk about (actually not explain)  how you have Thai citizenship.

One of your parents are Thai ...Yes ?    And you have a bat prachachon    yes ?    And a Thai passport  yes?

And you are on a tabien bahn here,  yes ?     If so then you are indeed a Thai citizen.   Any talk about your US   status in not relevant.   

As for the Chanote.    Your dad changed the name of the owner of the land to YOURS alone by going to the Land Office and doing that ?   If you are only name on Chanote now (as owner)  then it is your land.

Period.     GOOD advice from others here to get LanD Office to measure said property and then you should fence it following the markers they indicate ( or put down if not already there)   

Just have one question:  if you are a Male......how does Thailand view the subject of registering for the Army   ?    I know someone with Thai/ American kids and they had to register for the lottery

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I know a number of Thais with dual citizenship and the only issue any of them have ever reported is IOs at the airport being extremely rude to them if they attempt to enter Thailand on their non-Thai passport

They should always enter in there Thai passport unless they plan to spend thirty days or less

On 8/25/2019 at 4:05 AM, AMichigan said:

No. 

Section 13.17 A man or a woman of Thai nationality who marries an alien and may acquire the nationality of the wife or the husband according to law on nationality of his wife or her husband may, If he or she desires to renounce Thai nationality, make a declaration of his or her intention before the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

Archived