Precast concrete posts v onsite moulded concrete posts

Huckenfell

I am preparing to build a small ground level house in Sisaket province.  I am concerned with the two different concrete posts types. I know that with the mould on site ones, they have Reo protruding 500 mm from bottom into the steel cage before the concrete is poured. My question is, how are the precast posts fixed at the bottom, do they have Reo protruding to place into the bottom cage before concrete is poured.

Pre cast posts are typically for lightweight structures and of only one storey.

They typically are only 150mm section with an elephants foot at the bottom.

So they are only supported with a mass pour of concrete in the hole.

The rebar very often only 6mm and very prone to rusting due to the poor quality of the post.

If you are just building something simple with a steel roof then its the way to go but remember, hairline cracks are common and will  be exposed if you need to drill for fixings.

The ones I bought for the shed just had a large rectangular base that you dig in the dirt. After you pour the floor around the post.

I had really no weight bearing. The trouble I found was the posts cement was really hard, so the guys laying the QCon blocks could not drill into them. So if you're not watching the walls will crack between post and blocks as they don't install the metal.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

The ones I bought for the shed just had a large rectangular base that you dig in the dirt. After you pour the floor around the post.

I had really no weight bearing. The trouble I found was the posts cement was really hard, so the guys laying the QCon blocks could not drill into them. So if you're not watching the walls will crack between post and blocks as they don't install the metal.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Thanks, more good info !  I intend using Q-Con. just hope i can find someone who knows how to lay them properly.

11 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I am preparing to build a small ground level house in Sisaket province.  I am concerned with the two different concrete posts types. I know that with the mould on site ones, they have Reo protruding 500 mm from bottom into the steel cage before the concrete is poured. My question is, how are the precast posts fixed at the bottom, do they have Reo protruding to place into the bottom cage before concrete is poured.

You have the process for on site construction wrong. This is how it's done.

Precast posts have a foot on them.

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Here is the complete construction it's a little long as it was put together for my classes and included information needed for a quiz.

Note that the hammock rings were precast into the posts during construction at the local builders yard.

After watching your video with precast posts, i ask myself "Is it really worth it"  Thanks for this.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Precast are OK they come in all sizes and can be under-ground tied to foundations or beam ground formations.

https://theconstructor.org/search-2/?search=precast concrete columns&search_type=posts

I think that i have come to the conclusion that onsite manufacture of posts is best for my small project. Many thanks for all the very good replies.

1 minute ago, Huckenfell said:

I think that i have come to the conclusion that onsite manufacture of posts is best for my small project. Many thanks for all the very good replies.

OK but just make sure the concrete mix is correct and it get consolidated properly in the pour.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, nodomino said:

I’ve been living in Thailand for 13 years. I have no idea what the Thai government is going to come up with to solve their nonexistent insurance problem. I throwing in the towel. Im leaving.

Worrying as all hell, i am a fit 84 but try telling that to any insurance company, and the Thai govt  could'nt give a <deleted> !

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Here is the complete construction it's a little long as it was put together for my classes and included information needed for a quiz.

Note that the hammock rings were precast into the posts during construction at the local builders yard.

I enjoyed that. Nice hack with concrete ring, I was waiting to see how they were going to lift it up 3m when the posts were sunk.

You really do need to get some colour on those legs though, even a fake tan is better!

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Worrying as all hell, i am a fit 84 but try telling that to any insurance company, and the Thai govt  could'nt give a <deleted> !

Go for it chip hi to em all good luck to you.????

Archived