Chevy touts ‘built-in quality’ on eve of Captiva SUV debut

rooster59

Chevy touts ‘built-in quality’ on eve of Captiva SUV debut

By The Nation

800_149c0fc6486b3b5.jpg

Production of the new Chevrolet Captiva SUV will commence this month using GM’s globally implemented Built-In-Quality (BIQ) principle and processes at every stage of manufacturing to help assure durability and reliability, General Motors said in a press release on Friday.

The American automaker said its strategic joint venture with SAIC-GM-Wuling (SGMW) will benefit customers.

It said SGMW’s advanced design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities will make it possible for Chevrolet to bring several new models to Thailand and other markets in coming years.

“Partnering with SGMW provides Chevrolet in Thailand and many other markets with a growing portfolio of world-class vehicles leveraging GM’s global scale and presence,” said Hector Villarreal, president of GM Southeast Asia.

“As the first vehicle born from this collaboration, the All-New Captiva has the honour of jump-starting a new era for Chevrolet in Thailand.”

SGMW implements GM’s BIQ principle on all Chevrolet vehicles. At every stage of manufacturing, from stamping and welding to painting and final assembly, BIQ processes give all vehicles the highest level of quality.

According to GM, this is fundamentally different from the way some other automakers operate, only conducting quality inspections before vehicles leave the line or plant. 

GM said this containment approach, known as “quality inspected in”, has several weaknesses. It depends on the ability of quality inspectors to spot problems and requires undoing faults by dismantling and refitting vehicles. To do it that way is time-consuming and costly.

“In the 100-plus years that GM has been producing passenger vehicles, our quality systems and processes have continuously improved,” said Peng Lingchen, SGMW manufacturing operation director.

“Our BIQ principle puts quality in the build process. This ensures that any potential quality issues are addressed in the production process, rather than in the finished product.”

He said a vehicle starts to age the moment the customer takes delivery. How well it ages depends on weather, road conditions, driving style and maintenance, among other variables. Those are parameters no automaker can control.

The Captiva will go on sale soon, starting at less than Bt1 million. GM said it will offer one of the roomiest interiors in the market and be available in five- and seven-seat configurations, topped with a panoramic sunroof.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30375280

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-25

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A quality built American car?

Nuff said

In Aus. called Craptiva :whistling:

Not really Chevy. Used to be Daewoo. Now apparently SAIC and Wuling.

In Indonesia we called Wuling,  Woo-Hoo.

Next they will be trying to sell us Cadillac. 

Now they announce actions to implement quality that have been used by the Japanese automakers for decades?

.....the All-New Captiva has the honour of jump-starting a new era for Chevrolet in Thailand.”

Old-era. Captivas have been jump-starting over highway medians and crashing into oncoming vehicles for years.

40 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Hopefully the chinese Partner stand for the Quality. The US GM "Quality" is not, what its means....

I just asked someone I know who reviews cars in Thailand. I asked him what he thought of it, he responded:

"Everything Thais hate in one car: Chinese branding, Indonesian assembled, Chevrolet resale value and service, plus a CVT tranny"

Loads of Thais buy the MG ZS, so will be interesting to see how this sells. 

We had a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L 4wd SUV and put over 170,000 miles on it driving in some severe conditions in Alaska. 

Never left us stranded.  Regular oil changes, tires, brake pads, batteries, and an alternator was about all we had to do to maintain it for 10 years

Paint and leather seats held up well even after 10 years

31 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Funny comments seeing one poster loves their engine but laughs .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Whilst I do have a passion for Chev V8's I have none for rebadged Asian <deleted>boxes.

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

We had a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L 4wd SUV and put over 170,000 miles on it driving in some severe conditions in Alaska. 

Never left us stranded.  Regular oil changes, tires, brake pads, batteries, and an alternator was about all we had to do to maintain it for 10 years

Paint and leather seats held up well even after 10 years

I had one Chevy in the States.....a 1986 Blazer bought new. A piece of <deleted>.

I also had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler....another piece of <deleted>. 

That was the last US car brand I ever bought until my Thai gf wanted a Ford so I bought her a 2011 Ford Fiesta here in Thailand...another piece of <deleted> with a defective gearbox.

3-zip.....never again

I have driven Mercedes and Toyota since 1990 and never had any problems. Here in Thailand given the outrageous price of Mercs, I will always drive Toyota.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Because they can. Now answer my question..

It seems my comment upset you a little. I apologize.

It was supposed to be at least half a joke.

I met enough people who play around with cars and it seems most of them are not exited about American engineering and American built quality.

But I have to admit I never owned an American car and I never drove one. They might be wonderful and I just don't know it.

I apologize.

And I have to admit long time ago when I was young and innocent I dreamed about a car like that when I am old enough to buy one. ????

6 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Have  had a Chev Pickup here for 8 years. 

Cant fault it for reliability and build.

Dunno what everyone is on about...

Had a chev pickup for several years, fixed it on a monthly basis, worst vehicle I have ever owned period. Never again.

GM went bankrupt, northamerican people bailed them out, what did they do to thank us????

moved to Mexico. 

6 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Have  had a Chev Pickup here for 8 years. 

Cant fault it for reliability and build.

Dunno what everyone is on about...

Also had a Chevy Colorado in Thailand for 6 years, other than scheduled maintenance never had a problem. sold it when I went back to the US for work and thought that  I would not be coming back for a while , and when I did come I would rent,

Big mistake , we ended coming back almost twice a year, rentals cost as an arm and a leg and more than we got for the truck when we sold it. We eventually bought a Mitsubishi Mirage so we would not have to rent when there.    Coming back to Thailand to live full time in a few months and will be looking for another vehicle,  I will seriously consider another Chevy, but I have no brand loyalty, IMO most vehicles in a price range are of relatively similar quality, We will buy the one that best fits our needs, at the best price. 

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

In Aus. called Craptiva :whistling:

Not really Chevy. Used to be Daewoo. Now apparently SAIC and Wuling.

In Indonesia we called Wuling,  Woo-Hoo.

Next they will be trying to sell us Cadillac. 

Then there was the Cadillac Cimarron way back.  It's on more than one worst cars list.

" Here's another selection from the Greatest Hits of Rotten Cars. This time, Cadillac's luxury brand name was losing its luster in the early 1980s. So General Motors figured it would be a good idea to take a Chevy Cavalier, dress it in Cadillac drag and charge twice as much. Now, the Chevy Cavalier was never a great car, but it never pretended to be a great car -- until it became the Cadillac Cimarron. This was not the 1980s movie where the nerd gets a makeover and becomes prom king or queen; oh no, this is more like "Weekend at Bernie's," and the Cavalier is Bernie. And this craptastic Cadillac was supposed to compete with BMWs and Audis? It did not. "

Noted automotive journalist Dan Neil included the Cimarron in his 2007 list of Worst Cars of all Time, saying "everything that was wrong, venal, lazy, and mendacious about GM in the 1980s was crystallized in this flagrant insult to the good name and fine customers of Cadillac."

I grew up in a family that had Chevys for years and years.  I had a nice used 1967 Chevy pickup.  Learned to drive a manual shift in a 1969 Camaro.  I'm mostly had Toyotas and Hondas for ages and ages now. 

If this is priced similarly to the stunning Mazda CX-5 or the not so stunning but very practical and reliable Honda CRV, I just can't see how it will sell. It's not very attractive, with blocky MG elements in it's stying. The interior looks average at best, and then you've got Chevy's less than stellar reputation to overcome. Perhaps with a base price of ~1.1m it might sell.

Archived