Have the IOs at Suvarnabhumi calmed down now about visitors with lots of tourist visas?

I'll be returning to Thailand soon for a long holiday having spent 3 months back in the UK. I've been doing the same for about 3 years now so have about 8 tourist visas and 2 visa exempts in my passport. I got red stamped in Vientiane so I'll be returning on an METV. 

There haven't been many reports recently of people in similar circumstances getting denied entry at Suvarnabhumi. What are my chances of being let in? I know I could fly to Laos or Malaysia and cross the land border but that's a serious hassle with 2 heavy suitcases.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Just entered Thailand on on my 7th visa exempt this year, ( US passport ). Went to the booth, only right finger prints, and was out in less than 2 minutes. As usual got the 30 day visa exempt, and nothing was said to me. Did not ask for anything. 

Your experience is not necessarily indicative, you got the Eagle on Blue. As you probably know, thats a hall pass better than many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mngmn said:

It really is more important for posters to report what they observe while waiting to get their passport stamped. I breezed through on my 5th visa exempt entry this year after spending 5 years in Thailand on a mix of visa exempt and Non O.

However, I observed two people in my immediate vicinity getting hasseled by an IO having a bad hair day.

But were they let through in the end? 

@edwardandtubs

If you are denied entry, you will be sent back on the carrier you arrived on, most probably to the destination you came from. If that is the UK, total extra incurred costs could easily top £1000 and maybe reach £1500 if you decide to have another bash coming in through Laos. 

If you go fly UK to Laos, then fly Udon to Bangkok, extra costs are probably £250.

Calculate the probability and roll the dice.

p.s. my history sounds very similar to yours and I was denied entry coming from the UK on an METV.

30 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

@edwardandtubs

p.s. my history sounds very similar to yours and I was denied entry coming from the UK on an METV.

I recall this happened to you at the peak of the 'crackdown' but there have been no similar reports for months. How long had you been back in the UK for? I think the 3 months should count in my favour.

An alternative would be to fly into Chiang Mai airport which would definitely be less of a hassle but it's not clear if that would be any safer than Suvarnabhumi. 

Edited by edwardandtubs

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

How long had you been back in the UK for? I think the 3 months should count in my favour.

I had been back in the UK for 1 month. Therefore your 3 months certainly puts you in a better position than me.

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

An alternative would be to fly into Chiang Mai airport which would definitely be less of a hassle but it's not clear if that would be any safer than Suvarnabhumi. 

Yes, all the reports on here indicate Chiang Mai as a far better option than Suvannaphum. 

From all the posts I have read here, I think IOs are only refusing entry to people who live here on tourist visa and probably working remotely also. By now they have figured it out who are those people from their entry and visa pattern. As there is no specific laws to deny then entry, IOs use the ruse of not having money to survive.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Dad will have to get.three TVs per year now, don't anticipate any problems, 59 days in Thailand x 3, The rest in the UK or elsewhere...(can't get a non-O ME any more).  Will use up the passport pages quickly though! Obviously not working.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I recall this happened to you at the peak of the 'crackdown' but there have been no similar reports for months. How long had you been back in the UK for? I think the 3 months should count in my favour.

It depends on your personal history.

I would not say Chiang Mai is safer than BKK in general. But that's just my opinion.

Have you been in Thailand more than 180 days in 2019?  If not, then you should be fine.

People being denied entry the IO are denying them based on doing visa runs and being in Thailand more than 180 days in the year on Tourist visas. 

4 minutes ago, acenase said:

Have you been in Thailand more than 180 days in 2019?  If not, then you should be fine.

People being denied entry the IO are denying them based on doing visa runs and being in Thailand more than 180 days in the year on Tourist visas. 

Just under 180. I hope the IO is not forward looking since with an METV it'll be obvious I will soon be over. I do have a history of visa runs including a couple earlier this year but I also have a history of spending 3 months a year back in the UK.

23 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Your experience is not necessarily indicative, you got the Eagle on Blue. As you probably know, thats a hall pass better than many.

Ok but what's wrong with you getting a Visa then there's no hassle.

surely your not short of the price of a TV .It you are your the type of person who is making  your own problems together of others.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Brad103 said:

But I think if you’re flying from the UK to Chiang Mai you’d clear immigration in Bangkok before getting on the Chiang Mai flight. I could be wrong though.

Yes you are wrong. He will need to fly with a airline that has a code share with say Bangkok Airways they will send him thru the backway at swampy to his gate you never leave air side. On arrival CM you go thry there immigration desk

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

Ok but what's wrong with you getting a Visa then there's no hassle.

surely your not short of the price of a TV .It you are your the type of person who is making  your own problems together of others.

I gave you a confused emoji because I don't understand your point.

@sirineou

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2019 at 2:16 AM, jacko45k said:

I would say your odds are good, particularly if you are of 'retirement age'. 

Make sure you have the cash and ticket to show them. 

Comment on last sentence, which is not fully correct >

When you have an METV there is no need for having a return-ticket when entering Thailand.  An METV is meant for those who use Thailand as 'home-base' when visiting surrounding countries, and it allows to stay in Thailand up to 9 months (in chunks of 2 months + possible extensions of 1 month).

I am not sure if the equivalent of 20,000 THB in cash is needed.  I have never been asked to show any cash when entering on an METV, which is also quite logical as you need to demonstrate that you have sufficient cash on your bank account when applying for an METV in your home-country.  However, it is surely not a bad idea to bring sufficient cash as the exchange change rate at the various SuperRich agencies is (much) better than any other method for getting THB. 

56 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Yes you are wrong. He will need to fly with a airline that has a code share with say Bangkok Airways they will send him thru the backway at swampy to his gate you never leave air side. On arrival CM you go thry there immigration desk

There is an immigration desk on air side for CIQ passengers.

Not sure about CM but it is mandatory for Phuket flights.

36 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

... An METV is meant for those who use Thailand as 'home-base' when visiting surrounding countries, and it allows to stay in Thailand up to 9 months (in chunks of 2 months + possible extensions of 1 month). ...

Citation badly needed for that interpretation of who qualifies for an METV and why.