Have the IOs at Suvarnabhumi calmed down now about visitors with lots of tourist visas?

58 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

I’d say will probably be ok. Have your return ticket available and Thb 20,000 or equivalent in cash on you. Oh, and don’t turn up looking like a beach bum....

good luck

The OP indicated that he would be returning on an METV.

FYI > With an METV there is no need for having a return-ticket when entering Thailand. 

I am not sure if the equivalent of 20,000 THB in cash is needed.  I have never been asked to show any cash when entering on an METV, which is also quite logical as you need to demonstrate that you have sufficient cash on your bank account when applying for an METV in your home-country.  However, it is surely not a bad idea to bring sufficient cash as the exchange change rate at the various SuperRich agencies is (much) better than any other method for getting THB. 

Good luck from my part too!

I (48y/German) am living in Thailand for more than 10 years on tourist visas.

My last 15-20 entries on METV (8 METVs back to back).

3 times got interviewed by an IO but fortunately was allowed to enter the kingdom.

But never had problems when passing in the FAST LANE (1200 paid for this service or arrived on C-Class ticket)

• Like 2

Airports of Thailand (AoT) are cracking down on the use of the so-called ‘fast lanes’ and the hawkers profiting from the reselling of the service.

Only first and business class passengers, plus passengers with special needs, will be permitted to use the Premium Lane services at Suvarnabhumi International Airport from July 1

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/suvarnabhumis-fast-track-scam-exposed-aot-crackdown-on-thailands-biggest-airport

1 hour ago, thailandjo said:

3 times got interviewed by an IO but fortunately was allowed to enter the kingdom.

But never had problems when passing in the FAST LANE (1200 paid for this service or arrived on C-Class ticket)

Wow, 15-20 entries on tourist visas!  I was getting nervous after 3 back-to-back visas, especially after reading the postings of crackdowns on 'not genuine' tourists.  In your case - especially in the current crackdown climate - I would be prepared to be refused on entry, and therefore would consider flying in from a neighbouring country to avoid being sent back to Europe.

Also, the moment you become 50 years I would apply for a non-immigrant OA visa which allows you to stay 1-2 years and can be extended afterwards for a full year.  Hope you can sing it out in the mean time on METVs.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Do you think it would help avoid an over zealous IO?

Didn't help me at all. I was using the fast track when the IO bailed me up for using the 'wrong' passport. After a supervisor intervened I was told I could only enter Thailand using the passport with the retirement extension and re-entry permit in it and could no longer use my other visa-less passport for a visa-exempt entry. They had BOTH passports in their system, probably had been since 2005 but this was the first time they were being linked. I know this because the IO was talking to the supervisor about my having a Thai wife and living in Udon. That was from data on his screen about a long-expired previous passport when I used marriage extensions and not either one of the two they had in their hands.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:17 AM, madmen said:

Have a friend doing exactly the same from ireland for many years in his 50's and no problems at all.  

The owner of Key Visa Co in Pattaya said a couple of days ago that between 40 and 100 persons are denied entry every day at the airports in BKK. Their problems might depend on where they came from.

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The owner of Key Visa Co in Pattaya said a couple of days ago that between 40 and 100 persons are denied entry every day at the airports in BKK. Their problems might depend on where they came from.

They can be from anywhere really from

US - Europe - Canada. Doesn't matter.

They are mostly stopping people who haven't gone back home, and "living" in Thailand on back to back Tourist visas by leaving for 1 week and coming back with a new Visa. 

Can't see how anyone who goes back to their home country for 3 months and comes back would ever have a problem.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The OP indicated that he would be returning on an METV.

FYI > With an METV there is no need for having a return-ticket when entering Thailand. 

I am not sure if the equivalent of 20,000 THB in cash is needed.  I have never been asked to show any cash when entering on an METV, which is also quite logical as you need to demonstrate that you have sufficient cash on your bank account when applying for an METV in your home-country.  However, it is surely not a bad idea to bring sufficient cash as the exchange change rate at the various SuperRich agencies is (much) better than any other method for getting THB. 

Good luck from my part too!

I doubt 20,000 makes any difference. Recent reports indicate that if they decide to deny you entry, they're going to anyway and waving 20,000 baht at them makes no difference. 

10 hours ago, Percy P said:

Ok but what's wrong with you getting a Visa then there's no hassle.

surely your not short of the price of a TV .It you are your the type of person who is making  your own problems together of others.

Having a Visa is no guarantee to be allowed entry. It's entirely up to immigration. 

6 minutes ago, acenase said:

Can't see how anyone who goes back to their home country for 3 months and comes back would ever have a problem.

I went back to the UK for one month, picked up an METV in the UK. I flew to Thailand directly from the UK and was denied entry. Clearly my one month is not the OP's 3 months but the stated reason for denial was "over 50% of time in Thailand". So, the OP is at risk of denial.

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Comment on last sentence, which is not fully correct >

When you have an METV there is no need for having a return-ticket when entering Thailand.  An METV is meant for those who use Thailand as 'home-base' when visiting surrounding countries, and it allows to stay in Thailand up to 9 months (in chunks of 2 months + possible extensions of 1 month).

Immigration at the airports in BKK doesn't care a bit about what you need to show back home. Almost every rule has changed this year in BKK. They come up with new stuff all the time. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, edwardandtubs said:

You're wrong.

If you fly to CNX via Bangkok you will go through passport control at Bangkok (Suvi wotsutit) airport. Customs at CNX. This was last February. Better to fly direct from international destination to CNX if you can.

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

Yes you are wrong. He will need to fly with a airline that has a code share with say Bangkok Airways they will send him thru the backway at swampy to his gate you never leave air side. On arrival CM you go thry there immigration desk

I usually go to CNX from international via Bangkok airways and ALWAYS have to go through immigration in Bangkok. No special arrangement as far as I'm aware. Sign is clear - transit to CnX is via immigration.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thailandjo said:

Well good for you. I am on the 5th btb METV (also Germany) and will switch it next year. If I was single, I would still play this IO-game with strategies, 2X land borders per year etc. But what if you get refused once coming directly from Germany? It`s not necessary the money for the direct return ticket, but your lacking plan B. After 10 yrs you will have your life here, so you just can`t move on. A plan B will take months. You are 48, so close to the magic number of 50. Wish you all the luck, that it might work out for you until you get 50.

In the Fast Lane you chances are much better, but after what I experienced I couldn`t live with that constant risk anymore. It`s pure luck in my opinion.  In FEB this year the IO at the Thai Business/First Class lane even smiled saying *seems you enjoy Thailand a lot*, whereas in July i got grilled and humiliated.  

• Thanks 1

I got almost denied in the fast lane using a VIP service but I was coming in on another exempt after having been here almost 3 years on tourists visas/exempt stamps. The fast lane worked very well the first 2 times when I used it in 2018. Guess my entries added up since.

The third time the officer almost denied me and the vip guy by my side smiled awkwardly like he’d seen it before, shrugged, and said there’s nothing he can do. Then he stepped away until the officer finally let me in.

I think with a tourist visa, especially metv, I may have avoided the grilling. 

Edited by Brad103

29 minutes ago, Brad103 said:

I got almost denied in the fast lane using a VIP service but I was coming in on another exempt after having been here almost 3 years on tourists visas/exempt stamps. The fast lane worked very well the first 2 times when I used it in 2018. Guess my entries added up since.

The third time the officer almost denied me and the vip guy by my side smiled awkwardly like he’d seen it before, shrugged, and said there’s nothing he can do. Then he stepped away until the officer finally let me in.

I think with a tourist visa, especially metv, I may have avoided the grilling. 

"but I was coming in on another exempt after having been here almost 3 years on tourists".

I would say that's a good reason to be denied entry.