Florida man guilty of manslaughter in test of 'stand your ground' law - reports

rooster59

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So why  has the US  society  become this  way? Surely that is  more the  question than  the simple declared right to  carry arms.

This was  an altercation  about a parking  spot. Progressed to a situation involving violent aggression .

Solution: shoot and kill !  " I have the  right" !

What next ?  " You lookin at me?  I don't  like it. I feel threatened !   "   Bam !

Pathetic !

I dont judge a society on news reports about ass*oles.

This apparently was an ignorant violent ass*at without a gun against an ignorant violent ass*at with one. Two jerkoffs meeting at a moment in time. Happens everywhere. Where you have people, you will also have scumbags. Who will kill, rape, assault and steal from each other. Some folks are just born bad.

And then you get media pushing an agenda.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a brief interview with one of the jurors who said his decision was based on the video that showed the aggressor back away from the shooter.   

I have no idea why this vigilante thought it was his job to be the parking police.   I suspect it has something to do with him carrying a gun and looking for a fight.   

Here is the problem.

A guy witnesses someone doing the wrong thing and should have the right to say so.  However, most people don't like being told that they are doing the wrong thing and if they can they will use the old 'best defence is good offence' logic.  A person should have the right to argue their point without being physically threatened.  That said I do agree that once the physical threat is removed then the defendent should withdraw their defence.  There should be an answer to 'might make right'.

22 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'm the same.  I saw that video when it first came out and sort of sympathized with the shooter.  The black guy should not have shoved him to the ground.  But obviously, he didn't deserve a death sentence for that.  The problem is if Drejka had gotten off, everybody with a gun would be emboldened to use it.  Civilized society can't function that way.

I would argue in civilised society you don't attack others and throw them to the ground.

Once the 'civilised' behaviour is finished on the other persons part, I would shoot to kill.

The whole point of carrying a gun is to shoot people who attack you.

If every aggressor thought they would be shot and killed, they wouldn't start the fight.

"God created man, Sam Colt made them equal"

4 hours ago, rhyddid said:

Racist Trump US, where a white can shoot to death on the back of a black or hispanic human and get free with a very easy sentence.

Shame of US and Florida !

Did you sit on the jury? Did you hear the facts? Do you know how manslaughter is defined?

If you can't answer all three in the affirmative than your childish diatribe is not worth responding to further.

Pathetic. I'll give you a sad emoji

On 8/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, donnacha said:

Scorecard, I'm going to guess that you are a European.

I know this because you take about guns as if you can just magically make all the guns that are already in America disappear.

I have never once found a European who could explain to me how this would actually work. I mean, are we talking about raiding every single American home and pulling up the floorboards in search of weapons?

It just amazes me that so many non-Americans are certain they have the solution, but completely collapse when you simply say "Okay, how would that work? How would you actually remove guns from the equation?"

The same goes for the UK, where people are so snide about the silly Americans and their problems with guns while London is currently the knife death capital of the world.

Your attitude to race is every bit as delusional.

The current situation has very little to do with racism. The overwhelming majority of whites and asians are terrified of the whole issue and just want to avoid it. My advice - to avoid confrontations at all costs - is simply common sense for any human being in a potentially life-threatening situation. Say nothing. Get out of there. Give them the damn parking spot if they want it.

I would give the same advice to British people of any color dealing with white scumbags in any British city: extract yourself as rapidly as possible. This is simply a reality of modern life, it has nothing to do with race.

If you create a cultural situation in which everything is about race, the only sane response for those among us who genuinely do not give a damn about skin color is to avoid getting involved with people who cannot get past your skin color.

In 1996 a 28yo Australian man named Martin Bryant shot dead 35 people. The then priminister (John Howard) started a buy back scheme that resulted in the disposal of over 650,000 weapons resulting in a dramatic decrease in gun related deaths. Surely it's worth some consideration. 

On 8/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Pedrogaz said:

I hope he gets off on appeal. When someone knocks you down you don't know what is going to happen next and clearly the aggressor was a sociopath parking in a handicapped spot.....no regard for anyone else.

Hmm, sociopath?

You know I think the sociopath might be the one who murdered an unarmed man. 

Florida car-park killing: Gunman guilty as 'stand your ground' defence fails https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49459855

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would argue in civilised society you don't attack others and throw them to the ground.

Once the 'civilised' behaviour is finished on the other persons part, I would shoot to kill.

The whole point of carrying a gun is to shoot people who attack you.

If every aggressor thought they would be shot and killed, they wouldn't start the fight.

"God created man, Sam Colt made them equal"

I'd say that the consequence of your insanely flawed argument is that fights would start (and end) with one party shooting the other party dead.  

What is it will Americans and their guns? Must be one of the worst and most dangerous country to live in. People behaving like animals, no wonder all the shooting stories emanate from a very backward country. I wouldn't go there even if you paid me.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:33 PM, Berkshire said:

I'm the same.  I saw that video when it first came out and sort of sympathized with the shooter.  The black guy should not have shoved him to the ground.  But obviously, he didn't deserve a death sentence for that.  The problem is if Drejka had gotten off, everybody with a gun would be emboldened to use it.  Civilized society can't function that way.

The simple and unfortunately better thing that should have been done is the white guy should have filed assault and battery charges for being knocked down.  He would have probably won the case easily.  

On 8/25/2019 at 7:38 AM, Tug said:

I have mixed feelings on this one as well the black couple were behaving badly the black dude did knock him down but when he pulled his gun the black guy retreated so he should have held fire to bad definatly not worth it 

Your correct, and you just saved me from typing it.

If only most of you understood American law.  Self-defense is only lawful and justified if:

One is in danger of immediate death or great bodily harm to the innocent.  Simple as that.  If the threat was no longer there, then he was in no danger and now should face attempted murder charges.

All the nonsense spewed here is just that.   No danger, no reason to defend oneself.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:59 AM, scorecard said:

And if there was no handgun / gun present because it was against the law to carry handguns in daily life scenarios then there wouldn't be a dead person. Not rocket science.

Without the handgun, the black guy would have smashed the white guys head in . Just as easy to say that as what you are implying because there was no backing off by the black until the gun was drawn.

Archived