Thai-American US senator meets PM Prayut

rooster59

Thai-American US senator meets PM Prayut

supawadee wangsri

de1b56993b7fc1653b88dcc036c652e7_small.jpeg

BANGKOK, 24 August 2019 (NNT) - Tammy Duckworth, the first Thai-born Senator of the United States, has visited Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. She expressed admiration for the political and economic development of Thailand and noted her confidence that both countries will continue to promote comprehensive bilateral cooperation.

Ms Duckworth paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha during her official visit to Thailand from August 21-23, 2019.

Gen Prayut said he was honored to meet the first Thai-born female member of the US Senate. Gen Prayut said that she was an example of a strong military officer who had inspired many people.

Ms Duckworth said she saw important developments in Thailand and was impressed with its political and economic development. She was confident that the two countries that have a longstanding friendship, will maintain their close ties in all regards.

Thailand as the Chairman of ASEAN is ready to play a major part in building a creative relationship with the United States, and helping solve regional problems such as the situations in Rakhine State; on the Korean Peninsula, and in the South China Sea, to maintain stability.

The Prime Minister also invited the United States to establish concrete cooperation with ASEAN and create connectivity with sub-regional cooperation pacts, such as ACMECS.

Ms Duckworth was first elected an MP in 2012. She served as an MP twice before running for a Senate position in 2016. She is the first disabled person to be elected a US senator and the first US senator born in Thailand, to a father who was an American veteran, and a Thai mother.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-08-25

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Another naive American politician who believes Thailand is now a “democracy”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

She’s a senator in Chicago, Illinois. All of the governors of her state in recent history have been sent to prison on corruption charges. I doubt she’s as naive as you think. Just playing the game.

Good job by Khun Prayut, and as the senator indicated …. 

' she saw important developments in Thailand and was impressed with its political and economic development. '

but sadly, some tv farang appear so blinded, they just can't see the forest for trees.

image.png.29d145a7ae52fed743eb3d8f577b4714.png

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How about an American who marry a Thai, gets Thai citizenship and becomes a Thai top politician?

I was thinking the same thing.

In the US, people can become a citizen and be elected a Senator - a Thai, or even a Muslim woman born in Somalia. People complain about US politics, but it's fair, diverse and democratic....and the people vote their President in....then they whine about it.

In Thailand, however...

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

' she saw important developments in Thailand and was impressed with its political and economic development. '

but sadly, some tv farang appear so blinded, they just can't see the forest for trees.

They cut down the trees long ago. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Which hospital do you get your weed, Steven? That’s some good stuff. 

So whats the purpose of the visit? Just say hi to pm? Pr for pm? Close weapons deal? Did any other PM, president publicly congratulate Mr P yet?
I think she's a historic figure in the context of her ethnicity. It's normal for her to pay a diplomatic visit when she's visiting Thailand. I don't understand why people are ragging on her.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I doubt that she’s as naive as some of you might think she is. A double amputee, injuries sustained in a combat theater makes me suspect that she’s tough. Perhaps she’s using diplomacy in dealing with the current Thai administration. Perhaps she has to use diplomacy to get things done in the U.S., also. At least she didn’t complain about not wanting to serve in the military due to bone spurs.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Oh good grief, how mind numbingly stupid.  Nobody has gone broke underestimating the taste of the American people.  This one is a shining example of that.  She is a disgrace to Thailand and America.  

In what way is she a disgrace to Thailand and America?

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She expressed admiration for the political and economic development of Thailand and noted her confidence that both countries will continue to promote comprehensive bilateral cooperation.

Not her whole statement:

Thai-American United States (US) Senator Tammy Duckworth on Friday urged Thais to be patient with the "messy" nature of democracy  - "Real democracy is messy... I understand the frustration of those who want things to move faster in Thailand and I agree with you."

https://theaseanpost.com/article/us-senator-hails-messy-thai-democracy

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In what way is she a disgrace to Thailand and America?

"Ms Duckworth said she saw important developments in Thailand and was impressed with its political and economic development."

Sorry, Thailand has known peace for decades and is falling behind Malaysia and Vietnam due to military interference.  I see that is genuine apple polishing and sending the wrong signal from the American people to the average Thai person. 

Archived