Thai-American US senator meets PM Prayut

rooster59

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who attack her probably due to "follow the leader" (Trump) and anyone who is Democrat is by definition awful.

Bangkok born, half Thai. Thais (and people with an ounce of sense) don't insult hosts as a matter of course (unlike you know who). We have public diplomatic usual statement. We do not know what she may have discussed with PM in private. She is smart enough to know she'll get nowhere trying to make PM lose face. It's not the Kardashians, after all.

She was in House of Reps, not an MP. Slipshod reporting as usual.

If you want evidence, etc about her, here's the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth

She’s a senator in Chicago, Illinois. All of the governors of her state in recent history have been sent to prison on corruption charges. I doubt she’s as naive as you think. Just playing the game.
So other Illinois politicians have been criminally corrupt so that means she must also be criminally corrupt? Wow.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not her whole statement:
Thai-American United States (US) Senator Tammy Duckworth on Friday urged Thais to be patient with the "messy" nature of democracy  - "Real democracy is messy... I understand the frustration of those who want things to move faster in Thailand and I agree with you."
https://theaseanpost.com/article/us-senator-hails-messy-thai-democracy
Thanks for the context. A huge difference. Another example of how editing often greatly distorts.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Somtamnication said:

She is also an example how a farang living in the US can become a productive member of the government. Let's how well that goes in Thailand with their own farangs.

You are confusing life in a First World democracy with being in a Third World banana republic

19 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Do these so called western politicians have any idea what is really going on over here????

It would seem that the answer is no!

I think that they do. I think Thailand is quite low priority for U.S. foreign policy.

As she is supposed to represent the interests of American citizens who elected her to the US Senate, it would have been nice had she spoken up for the interests of Americans living in Thailand and addressed the ever tightening immigration squeeze on Americans doing business and living here.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She is the first disabled person to be elected a US senator

What about?  Bob Dole, Daniel Inouye, Max Cleland, Bob Kerrey, and John McCain???

Really, what idiot wrote this article? In addition to not being an "MP," she doesn't run "for a senate position" but for a senate seat. Complete idiocy. 

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How about an American who marry a Thai, gets Thai citizenship and becomes a Thai top politician?

Only if you start your career with some BBQ chicken you'll have to prepare and sell with your Thai wife. And then.......

14 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Oh good grief, how mind numbingly stupid.  Nobody has gone broke underestimating the taste of the American people.  This one is a shining example of that.  She is a disgrace to Thailand and America.  

She is PhD, rose to the rank 0d Lieutenant Colonel,  became a Helicopter pilot, lost both of her legs in the service of her country ,  and manage to be elected to the Senate of the USA. 

You might not agree with her politics but one has to admire her achievements.

As an American I have the good "taste" to appreciate, and respect  other people's accomplishments. How about you list some of yours, so we can compare them with this "disgrace to Thailand and America"?  

Started reading this thread knowing her history I’m proud of my fellow posters that bring her history to light I’d be proud to vote for her btw she gave Donald his nickname cadet bone spurs she also gave birth in office a quite admirable human beeing imo and a brave one as well

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

She is PhD, rose to the rank 0d Lieutenant Colonel,  became a Helicopter pilot, lost both of her legs in the service of her country ,  and manage to be elected to the Senate of the USA. 

As an American I have the good "taste" to appreciate, and respect  other people's accomplishments. How about you list some of yours, so we can compare them with this "disgrace to Thailand and America"?  

Current achievements and selfless acts aside, yes it was.  Other than her misplaced support for the Thai government and this cowardly general, who is lucky even to meet a true soldier like her, I would agree with you.  She is 100 times the soldier he is.  Why give this coup leader any accolades at all?  It was a blown opportunity and a blunder on her part.  

13 hours ago, yellowboat said:
On 8/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, sirineou said:

Current achievements and selfless acts aside, yes it was.  Other than her misplaced support for the Thai government and this cowardly general, who is lucky even to meet a true soldier like her, I would agree with you.  She is 100 times the soldier he is.  Why give this coup leader any accolades at all?  It was a blown opportunity and a blunder on her part.

One does not become a general in a major country and are subsequent elected to high office without some achievement in their own, but  Please show me where I compared her achievements to that of the General?

On 8/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, rooster59 said:

Ms Duckworth paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha during her official visit to Thailand from August 21-23, 2019.

An "official visit" and she was courteous and diplomatic! She definitely needs to be condemned about that. ????

On 8/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, rooster59 said:

Ms Duckworth said she saw important developments in Thailand and was impressed with its political and economic development. She was confident that the two countries that have a longstanding friendship, will maintain their close ties in all regards.

The above are boilerplate Official visit statements,  please show where she" give this coup leader any accolades " unless you believe that the general is Thailand.

So lets recap , A very accomplished US senator returns to the country of her birth in an official  visit , where she gives a courtesy visit to the Prime minister of the country, is polite, courteous , diplomatic. and Praises the country where she was born.

The Scandal !!   

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

One does not become a general in a major country and are subsequent elected to high office without some achievement in their own, but  Please show me where I compared her achievements to that of the General?

You didn't.  Her achievements and sacrifice far outshine just about any soldier in uniform.  His do not, unless you can offer some insights of coup leader's great heroics.   The point being her meeting looked like a snow job, when she is obviously is 100 times the soldier his is, unless you can again show some insight into cha cha's great successes. 

Archived