What to make of this ?

Andrew Dwyer

Had a visit from some shifty Thai guy the other day and am confused by his motives .

I live in a moobahn , a sub soi, very quiet, 6 houses , a cul-de-sac and I live at the end.

I was in the lounge and my gf was sitting on the porch when this old car reversed into the soi and parked in front of the empty house opposite.

The guy gets out, 70’s hairstyle and very large sunglasses, looked like a used car salesman !!

Calls to my gf and started telling some tale and gesturing over the end of the soi ( 2 metres no mans land then a row of town houses ). Said he lives over there .

The gf calls me and repeated his story :

He is married to a Brit ( from Derby ) and has a child with her, both are in the uk at the moment.

He had “ intercepted “ some texts to her from a farang talking bad about him and using a gps traced the texts to the proximity of our house.

He retrieved a small tablet from his car and tried to find the texts ( but couldn’t [emoji848] ) and asked what my name was, I told the gf not to tell him and ask him what was the name on the texts.

He couldn’t remember [emoji848]

At this point I told the gf to tell him that her brother was police and she would pass it on to him .

He gave a couple of wai’s and drove off.

I regret not grabbing my phone and taking a photo of his face, also his car, blatantly .

So, the guys story was vague, to say the least, but what was his angle ?

Casing the joint ?

Undercover Immigration officer ( [emoji51] )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

odd situation. Can't make much of it. How someone will get the GPS coordinates of the originator phone, I'm not too sure.

If you have their google play account name and password you can view the phone owners movements in google.

https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone?pli=1

(Google locate, then maps timeline)

It's quite detailed, lists all the shops and address you stopped at.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you have their google play account name and password you can view the phone owners movements in google.

yes ….  but you would need to know the google name & password or the sender … correct  ??

not very easy to get.

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ….  but you would need to know the google name & password or the sender … correct  ??

not very easy to get.

My gf can never remember hers, I always have to set it up for her.

Not that I care where she goes in the day.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

This is extremely suspicious, I would get your wife to mention it to her brother if I were you, unless of course you told her to fib and her brother isn't really a policeman, in which case I would still ask your wife to mention it a local policeman. Sounds like he was fishing for your personal details.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

This is extremely suspicious, I would get your wife to mention it to her brother if I were you, unless of course you told her to fib and her brother isn't really a policeman, in which case I would still ask your wife to mention it a local policeman. Sounds like he was fishing for your personal details.

Was a lie , gf has already mentioned it to the headman of the moobahn.
There is cctv but nobody man’s the barrier, I believe the cctv is monitored by another moobahn gatehouse next door.

Spotting before burglary.

In your place, I would install without waiting a monitoring device. Then I will declare this visit to the nearest police station with a faithful description of the person and the details of the discussion.

With a little luck, this individual is already known.

My gf talked to two of her brothers about this and they both said “ spy “ ( spotter as you said ).

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I am aware of what you mentioned. That is different to learning the GPS coords of the originator phone from an SMS.

how the guy would have got the username and password is anyone's guess and not what the OP suggested.

I am aware of what you mentioned. That is different to learning the GPS coords of the originator phone from an SMS.

how the guy would have got the username and password is anyone's guess and not what the OP suggested.

Yes, just to clarify:

The guy stated he was monitoring his wife’s text messages to a farang, from the farangs messages to her he determined, via gps , that the farang lives in the proximity of our house !!

All this while she is in the uk .

Doesn’t seem plausible, together with the fact that he couldn’t locate any messages on his tablet or even hazard a guess in remembering the farangs name he didn’t appear to be the brightest banana in the bunch .

Seems to me like a cunning plan ( that even Baldrick would be ashamed of ) hastily concocted to enable him to approach the house .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No worries about Immigration, or cops. There are some idiots around who are trying to blackmail some people by telling some lies.

Yes, you should have taken some photos of them, the car and even recorded the speech. I'd also have called the cops. 

They knew that there's a foreigner and they were trying to milk you. That's all.

A bit more could happen if you stop and ask for the way to your hotel when driving out of the airport in Miami. 

• Like 2

Asked the Wife about her views on this - and her thoughts are that this is a growing issue for Thai's and Foreigners, and there's discussions about it on Thai social media.  She used the name "Mee-cha-cheep" to describe a type of cheap con-artist.  

They drive around looking for someone they can start a conversation with, and they target older people and tell them a vague, complex tale, then depending on their reaction that find an angle to get money.

This may be a hard luck tale, or a threat, or if the person looks nervous an attempt at blackmail.

By coming across as confident he's probably decided to try his luck elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

You saw the car?

He said he lives in the row of townhouses nearby?

Me, I would go and take a look around that row for the car. If you find it, it could put your mind at rest.

Regarding the suggestioins about cameras, reports to the police, etc. - can't do any harm.

I tend to think think the guy may possibly have been truthful about his reasons for being in your soi - why else would someone confess to being married to a Derby lass?

• Like 1

Asked the Wife about her views on this - and her thoughts are that this is a growing issue for Thai's and Foreigners, and there's discussions about it on Thai social media.  She used the name "Mee-cha-cheep" to describe a type of cheap con-artist.  

They drive around looking for someone they can start a conversation with, and they target older people and tell them a vague, complex tale, then depending on their reaction that find an angle to get money.

This may be a hard luck tale, or a threat, or if the person looks nervous an attempt at blackmail.

By coming across as confident he's probably decided to try his luck elsewhere.

Yes I’m not sure where he was going with the conversation, he told his story to the gf and when he went back to his car to get the tablet she called me outside and quickly ran through his story with me.

He could probably tell from my reaction that i was having none of it and asked him to show us the messages, when he couldn’t produce or remember the guys name I asked the gf to tell him “ your brother is a policeman and you will pass this on to him to see what he can make of it “

He then apologised for the intrusion and made his exit.

Hopefully it was no more than a misunderstanding, but if he does live where he says he does “ over the fence in the townhouses “ , then tomorrow i plan to have a drive over and see if he lives there and get photos of him, i looked over the fence and saw a car that looks like his in the distance.

If his story is somewhat true then he should have come with all guns blazing when he realized a farang lives in the house the gps indicated but instead he was chatting away pleasantly , almost apologetically, with the gf .

I still think his story was some concoction to approach the house and check it out , after all not difficult to spot a farang round here, not so many in this area and everyone sees me out and about daily.
  • Like 2

Hi Andrew,
You saw the car?
He said he lives in the row of townhouses nearby?
Me, I would go and take a look around that row for the car. If you find it, it could put your mind at rest.
Regarding the suggestioins about cameras, reports to the police, etc. - can't do any harm.
I tend to think think the guy may possibly have been truthful about his reasons for being in your soi - why else would someone confess to being married to a Derby lass?

Yes, my house is the last in the soi, then there’s a sort of no mans land ( full of rubble and thorny trees) about 2 metres wide then a tall fence ( 3 metres ) before a soi of town houses continues .

Standing on my garden wall this evening I could see, what looked like, his car in the distance.
Tomorrow I plan to have a drive round to check it out.
  • Like 1

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, my house is the last in the soi, then there’s a sort of no mans land ( full of rubble and thorny trees) about 2 metres wide then a tall fence ( 3 metres ) before a soi of town houses continues .

Standing on my garden wall this evening I could see, what looked like, his car in the distance.

Take care.

If it is the right car, that would indicate that his story (however unusual) was true.

Just get the plate number and pass it on to the police. Let them do the rest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As weird as your experience was it might actually have been a legitimate story. I reckon you just need to be more vigilant for a few weeks, but otherwise don’t be concerned about it. 

• Like 2

Take care.
If it is the right car, that would indicate that his story (however unusual) was true.
Just get the plate number and pass it on to the police. Let them do the rest.

Yes probably the best approach.

Go to the police with his address and car license and report him making accusations with no proof whatsoever.