What to make of this ?

Andrew Dwyer

As weird as your experience was it might actually have been a legitimate story. I reckon you just need to be more vigilant for a few weeks, but otherwise don’t be concerned about it. 

Yes, his story was somewhat badly thought out, whether it true or a lie he didn’t really plan what he was going to do when approaching our house, I would really like to get to the bottom of this.
If it is somewhat true then I feel for the guy, there is another farang who lives behind the house facing me, close enough for his gps co-ordinates possibly.
Normally I would go and have a chat but this farang doesn’t seem very approachable.

Have ordered a camera and the gf has discussed it with the neighbours so they are aware, will have a run round tomorrow to see if I can identify the car but without actually seeing him I couldn’t be sure.
Him I’d recognise anywhere !!

Reading this from the OP:

"He had “ intercepted “ some texts to her from a farang talking bad about him and using a gps traced the texts to the proximity of our house".

He could have intercepted some texts or even more information of her wife's phone if he installed spyware and still has access to it. Other tricks like mentioned above, google accounts login info, could work too, but in all cases he could only know the location of her wife's phone, never the location of the received text's origin.

To know the location of the supposed farang there are only 3 options that come to my mind:
1) He hacked the supposed farang's phone. Not easy to do from remote.
2) He got the farang's phone number, works for the Service Provider the farang is using in Thailand (AIS, True, DTAC, etc) and traced his location. Or knows someone who could do this for him.
3) The farang sent to this guys' wife his location on a message (WhatsApp or similar). The GPS location error is up to 10m.

Well, the 3 of them seem to me quite unlikely to be true and so the whole story this guy told your GF and you.

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,
You saw the car?
He said he lives in the row of townhouses nearby?
Me, I would go and take a look around that row for the car. If you find it, it could put your mind at rest.
Regarding the suggestioins about cameras, reports to the police, etc. - can't do any harm.
I tend to think think the guy may possibly have been truthful about his reasons for being in your soi - why else would someone confess to being married to a Derby lass?

How many Thais would have heard of ‘Derby’ too or maybe he said Dubai??

Maybe he’s got mental issues and dreamt it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Was a lie , gf has already mentioned it to the headman of the moobahn.
There is cctv but nobody man’s the barrier, I believe the cctv is monitored by another moobahn gatehouse next door.

OP, if your drive-by of what you think is the guys car fails, see if you can get access to the CCTV backup and take a snapshot (or video clip) from it to identify the plates. Possible mug shot of the offender as well.

• Like 1

OP, if your drive-by of what you think is the guys car fails, see if you can get access to the CCTV backup and take a snapshot (or video clip) from it to identify the plates. Possible mug shot of the offender as well.

Then who do you think will be at all interested in it (unless there is money to be made?).

56 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Then who do you think will be at all interested in it (unless there is money to be made?).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a police report. In fact, IMO, you would be stupid if you didn't. Once the report has been filed and the OP has been given his/her copy, it is very hard to get rid of it out of the system.

If, further down the line nothing has been done, and for some reason the OP has to 'protect' himself or his family, the report becomes significant. This is from personal experience.

I suppose interaction by the police depends where you are in Thailand. I have been in the same place for more than 20 years now and personally know of numerous cases that have been closed by the police, from minor road accidents, theft, drugs, snatch & grab through murder.

To me at least, to label all the police like this (only working for reward) is supporting the urban myth. This does not detract from the fact that this behavior does happen by a few............:thumbsup:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a police report. In fact, IMO, you would be stupid if you didn't. Once the report has been filed and the OP has been given his/her copy, it is very hard to get rid of it out of the system.

If, further down the line nothing has been done, and for some reason the OP has to 'protect' himself or his family, the report becomes significant. This is from personal experience.

I suppose interaction by the police depends where you are in Thailand. I have been in the same place for more than 20 years now and personally know of numerous cases that have been closed by the police, from minor road accidents, theft, drugs, snatch & grab through murder.

To me at least, to label all the police like this (only working for reward) is supporting the urban myth. This does not detract from the fact that this behavior does happen by a few............thumbsup.gif&key=3219fd0c065f2af7090c02fcd678f040fbdc10b2d27ca1f7c0b4a8d7a75563ec

I accept your reasoning but feel it’s more than an urban myth (after living/working here for 14+ years and lived in more than a dozen different locations!)

‘By a few’, do me a laugh!!!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I accept your reasoning but feel it’s more than an urban myth (after living/working here for 14+ years and lived in more than a dozen different locations!)

Laugh provided sir.......................:laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Just a myth.

I remember, very specifically, at least three stories that nobody can believe - to the extent I won't relate them except to very close and personal friends - and a couple of others which sound as if I made them up on the spot to prove a point - involving govt offices, rules, and generally extremely strange circumstances and behavior.

Maybe the most interesting one was a strange, casually dressed guy starting to talk as I smoked outside a 7-11 some 15 years ago - which ended up with a major panic, someone ended up driving to his house to recover his passport and get him out of jail... Had we not already discussed this at work, it's quite possible he could have had everyone else included simply by mentioning it.

However, my opinion, even if it's futile, you still need to make the report. There may be another problem here - I don't think the police have any kind of duty, or interest withing gated communities, unless they're being paid.

• Like 1