Thai Retirement Visa application in London UK

I am considering applying for a Retirement visa when back in UK to avoid the 65k/month or 800k THB here in Thailand. Their is a requirement for 800k THB equivalent to be held in UK account but the embassy online instructions do not state for how long it should be held. I emailed a question but got an automated reply with no answer. It seems as though just one month may be long enough to comply but I wonder if anyone has followed this UK route and if their are any pitfalls to avoid?

• Thanks 1

The Embassy requires you to have reserves of about £20,000 or an income for the coming year or £1500 per month and proof of that is all the embassy needs, On entry you will be given permission to stay for three months.  Before your Permission to stay expires you need to show that you have had access to Bt 800,000 from a Thai bank or have been able to transfer Bt 65,000 during your time in Thailand if you intend to request remission to extend your stay for a year.     

Edited by tgeezer

Did it on line forget trying to email them although it is on website, it’s never replied to, appt next Thursday ,all docs went thro online and I take originals on Thursday......two months bank statements.....plus bank letter

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

##For the Combo income + Deposit (it would seem) my understanding at this time ...

The income stream needs to be in an account  and show original statements (maybe a summary of the Income credits may help). Example I used was 55000THB a Month income  i.e. >£1500 a month @36.75 (total £ 18000).

The deposit amount has to be in another account (no or minimal "in/out" transactions) and cannot be the same account as the income stream. e.g. 140000THB ~ >£3800, on deposit. approx >£21800 total!

Marked up extract, from Non-Immigrant O-A (website)

3. Financial evidence : a [guarantee letter from the bank]* and a copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 THB or an income certificate with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB ##or a deposit account plus a monthly income in total not less than 800,000 THB

*If using a Thai Bank you need a letter from the bank, passbook is not enough! (don't know how old that letter could be though).

If deposit funds are in Thailand could they be in a >3 month fixed deposit +letter from the Thai bank, as getting a letter for a normal deposit account the letter may be 4 weeks old by time of application, don't know this yet!

With reference to # 5 above, it would seem there is a view formed that;-

Everything is online, people are just not reading it, it is all there online...when you phone, ask questions, it draws resources away from processing the VISAs.... 

To be sure the statement of deposit or income is acceptable they would have to see it, cannot confirm over the phone (or perhaps even by e-mail). Of course it maybe you have to open an account intended to support this application, and hope for the best!

Guest jonzboy

Agree with "one month" although I recall being on the UK Embassy website a few months ago and don't recall it being there then.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months. A suggested template of medical certificate can be downloaded here for your doctor.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

4 hours ago, jonzboy said:

Agree with "one month" although I recall being on the UK Embassy website a few months ago and don't recall it being there then.

They seem to have tweaked the rules on this again. A couple of years ago it was only necessary to show a current balance showing the 800k equivalent, whereas in April this year it was necessary to provide a bank statement showing it had been held on account for three months. This has evidently been relaxed again, possibly when they introduced the e-visa in June. 

• Like 1