criticiizing new restaurant owners

mercman24

just a  thought, owing to the stupid defamation laws here, one could come under this umbrella. if one dares to criticise, ok no names here goes, i have eaten at this place for years, cheap great food, new owners last week,(INDIAN)? we order fish chips peas oh and a (slice) meaning bread and butter, meal arrives the peas were solid, i kid you not, a small piece of curled up lettuce, i asked where was the bread and butter, , so 3 of us went without not even an explaination, meal advertised at 79 baht i was charged 150, no fans switched on, bloody hot,  no tvs on, friend arrives at 4-45 was told to wait outside until 5 pm. the place is in Jomtien.  i might give them a second chance and see what sunday lunch is like, was always fantastic under the old boss TONY  

44 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

just a  thought, owing to the stupid defamation laws here, one could come under this umbrella. if one dares to criticise, ok no names here goes, i have eaten at this place for years, cheap great food, new owners last week,(INDIAN)? we order fish chips peas oh and a (slice) meaning bread and butter, meal arrives the peas were solid, i kid you not, a small piece of curled up lettuce, i asked where was the bread and butter, , so 3 of us went without not even an explaination, meal advertised at 79 baht i was charged 150, no fans switched on, bloody hot,  no tvs on, friend arrives at 4-45 was told to wait outside until 5 pm. the place is in Jomtien.  i might give them a second chance and see what sunday lunch is like, was always fantastic under the old boss TONY  

English cafe on Soi 5? Indian guy took it over more than a year ago now. Sits in a corner, at the bar chain smoking and glowering at both staff and customers. The breakfast there has gone from the best in Pattaya, if not Thailand to absolutely the worst. Used to be my go to place in Jomtien, wouldn't set foot in the place now.

The staff knew me as a regular, as i paid my bill, the last time I was there, I told the server that I wouldn't be returning, deliberately pointing at the fat tosser in the corner, who was watching. It was clear that she understood and agreed with me.

Anyway, thanks to another BM (cheers @Jingthing O' Delices wasn't for me but I love Tinnies) I have now descovered Tinnies. No looking back for me.

Oh, Simon's on Soi 5, catch me if you can 555

UPDATE i just went past it and it was shut, this place use to do a roaring trade Sunday Roast dinners, had to have more than one sitting, or go in later, this guy got no business sense maybe he opens  at 5pm, when all the farang trade has eaten elsewhere, he was even slagging off the joint of pork he had cooked, (relegion thing i expect) lol, well thats me done , its Simple Simons now for Sunday lunch. i have never noticed he has the other eatery close by

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

UPDATE i just went past it and it was shut, this place use to do a roaring trade Sunday Roast dinners, had to have more than one sitting, or go in later, this guy got no business sense maybe he opens  at 5pm, when all the farang trade has eaten elsewhere, he was even slagging off the joint of pork he had cooked, (relegion thing i expect) lol, well thats me done , its Simple Simons now for Sunday lunch.

Sorry I thught you were talking about Simple Simons. See my post above.

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Can anyone explain how Indians are being able to take over and own businesses in Jomtien?

Same way as Brits, Germans, Italians, French, etc., used to do in those heady days when there was an actual 'high season' and a sizeable European demographic both visiting and living locally.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Same way as Brits, Germans, Italians, French, etc., used to do in those heady days when there was an actual 'high season' and a sizeable European demographic both visiting and living locally.

I mean, how do are they allowed to do it without having Thai staff?

35 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

doesn't defamation mean false accusations?

Yes, but in Thailand I suspect that voicing a negative personal opinion against something or somebody is also taken as defamation, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Yes, but in Thailand I suspect that voicing a negative personal opinion against something or somebody is also taken as defamation, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Strictly speaking yes, but I doubt that it is a problem on an anonymous forum.

So which restaurant was the OP talking about?

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

probably right, even with video evidence...

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Strictly speaking yes, but I doubt that it is a problem on an anonymous forum.

Depends how you look at it. The person that posts is likely to get away with it but the forum owners, not so much, as they are the one publishing it.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Depends how you look at it. The person that posts is likely to get away with it but the forum owners, not so much, as they are the one publishing it.

Yep. I think there's something in the Forum Rules about that. However, another similar forum with the same software hosts it's servers outside Thailand. Would seem the sensible thing to do.

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yep. I think there's something in the Forum Rules about that. However, another similar forum with the same software hosts it's servers outside Thailand. Would seem the sensible thing to do.

In any case I suspect that in the event of a very derogatory post about Thailand or Thai people, the forum administrators would be held liable on account of them not moderating the forum correctly.

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In any case I suspect that in the event of a very derogatory post about Thailand or Thai people, the forum administrators would be held liable on account of them not moderating the forum correctly.

Derogatory posts about Thailand and Thai people seem to be the meat and veg on this forum. And Brits! Can I sue? 555

Firstly the defamation laws here can't be as bad as farangland surely?

I asked the question about how so many Indians can run businesses in Phuket once.  The local Thai people hate them and they seem to have all of the prime selling areas. Guy told me they are not Indians but 1st and 2nd generation Indians born in Thailand from Indian parents of course. I guess back in the day it wasn't so hard for Indians to come and live here. They had children born in Thailand and so they are Thai nationals with all the rights that go with it.

I live up country in Isaan so I don't know the restaurant you are talking about but I don't know how most businesses here have the hide to hang a shingle on the front of their shops, particularly restaurants. They don't even cook Thai food well. Wouldn't even be considered good home taught cooks. Phone repair shops, motorbike repair shops. None of them seem to have any expertise in what they do. The restaurants up here are particularly bad. I like Thai food and will eat at a roadside restaurant no problem. Have lived here 5 years now in a larger city and better food for sure in the more rural areas. I cook nearly everything at home now and eat like a king. The only place I get excited about going out to eat now is MK and only reason for that is I miss daggy Chinese take away from home lol.  

Tony has gone to live in the jungle. Bob 85 years old with experience has taken over.....no Indians!!! Lets face it, you are never gonna make a living out of 79 baht roast dinners and fish n chips....shoot me down, sue me its <snip>....went once and never again, filthy kitchen, frozen food left on his sam lor for hours in the sun....and worst the people that went there...lets hope Bob dows a good job

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I live up country in Isaan so I don't know the restaurant you are talking about but I don't know how most businesses here have the hide to hang a shingle on the front of their shops, particularly restaurants. They don't even cook Thai food well. Wouldn't even be considered good home taught cooks. Phone repair shops, motorbike repair shops. None of them seem to have any expertise in what they do. The restaurants up here are particularly bad. I like Thai food and will eat at a roadside restaurant no problem. Have lived here 5 years now in a larger city and better food for sure in the more rural areas. I cook nearly everything at home now and eat like a king. The only place I get excited about going out to eat now is MK and only reason for that is I miss daggy Chinese take away from home lol.  

I found a restaurant just outside Ban Phai, across the raiway tracks. Hard to find but was packed when we got there. Had a great meal.

MK (Moo Kata) is basically a Korean barbeque chain. Always a safe bet. The duck served with pickled ginger is a favourite of mine. Real moo kata restaurants are better if you can find a good one. Great for a special event if you are out with a gang.

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Tony has gone to live in the jungle. Bob 85 years old with experience has taken over.....no Indians!!! Lets face it, you are never gonna make a living out of 79 baht roast dinners and fish n chips....shoot me down, sue me its <snip>..went once and never again, filthy kitchen, frozen food left on his sam lor for hours in the sun....and worst the people that went there...lets hope Bob dows a good job

Name of restaurant?

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Name of restaurant?

Its in my post....<snip>....sue me...im off to South Coaat of England Wednesday...never was two sittings, was a filthy dirty place with red nosed alcholics....but at meals for 79 baht suited some...

I strongly suggest you refresh your memories of forum rules, and the law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Any such posts will be removed and the poster may face an immediate ban.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Archived