BANGKOK
mercman24

criticiizing new restaurant owners

just a  thought, owing to the stupid defamation laws here, one could come under this umbrella. if one dares to criticise, ok no names here goes, i have eaten at this place for years, cheap great food, new owners last week,(INDIAN)? we order fish chips peas oh and a (slice) meaning bread and butter, meal arrives the peas were solid, i kid you not, a small piece of curled up lettuce, i asked where was the bread and butter, , so 3 of us went without not even an explaination, meal advertised at 79 baht i was charged 150, no fans switched on, bloody hot,  no tvs on, friend arrives at 4-45 was told to wait outside until 5 pm. the place is in Jomtien.  i might give them a second chance and see what sunday lunch is like, was always fantastic under the old boss TONY  

• Haha 1

change of boss change of almost everything, they have to recuperate their investment... better look for a new place to eat

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

just a  thought, owing to the stupid defamation laws here, one could come under this umbrella. if one dares to criticise, ok no names here goes, i have eaten at this place for years, cheap great food, new owners last week,(INDIAN)? we order fish chips peas oh and a (slice) meaning bread and butter, meal arrives the peas were solid, i kid you not, a small piece of curled up lettuce, i asked where was the bread and butter, , so 3 of us went without not even an explaination, meal advertised at 79 baht i was charged 150, no fans switched on, bloody hot,  no tvs on, friend arrives at 4-45 was told to wait outside until 5 pm. the place is in Jomtien.  i might give them a second chance and see what sunday lunch is like, was always fantastic under the old boss TONY  

English cafe on Soi 5? Indian guy took it over more than a year ago now. Sits in a corner, at the bar chain smoking and glowering at both staff and customers. The breakfast there has gone from the best in Pattaya, if not Thailand to absolutely the worst. Used to be my go to place in Jomtien, wouldn't set foot in the place now.

The staff knew me as a regular, as i paid my bill, the last time I was there, I told the server that I wouldn't be returning, deliberately pointing at the fat tosser in the corner, who was watching. It was clear that she understood and agreed with me.

Anyway, thanks to another BM (cheers @Jingthing O' Delices wasn't for me but I love Tinnies) I have now descovered Tinnies. No looking back for me.

Oh, Simon's on Soi 5, catch me if you can 555

Edited by DannyCarlton

Posted (edited)

UPDATE i just went past it and it was shut, this place use to do a roaring trade Sunday Roast dinners, had to have more than one sitting, or go in later, this guy got no business sense maybe he opens  at 5pm, when all the farang trade has eaten elsewhere, he was even slagging off the joint of pork he had cooked, (relegion thing i expect) lol, well thats me done , its Simple Simons now for Sunday lunch. i have never noticed he has the other eatery close by

Edited by mercman24

Ah - well if it wasn't Simple Simon's then I know where you are talking about!

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

UPDATE i just went past it and it was shut, this place use to do a roaring trade Sunday Roast dinners, had to have more than one sitting, or go in later, this guy got no business sense maybe he opens  at 5pm, when all the farang trade has eaten elsewhere, he was even slagging off the joint of pork he had cooked, (relegion thing i expect) lol, well thats me done , its Simple Simons now for Sunday lunch.

Sorry I thught you were talking about Simple Simons. See my post above.

Can anyone explain how Indians are being able to take over and own businesses in Jomtien?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Can anyone explain how Indians are being able to take over and own businesses in Jomtien?

Same way as Brits, Germans, Italians, French, etc., used to do in those heady days when there was an actual 'high season' and a sizeable European demographic both visiting and living locally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Same way as Brits, Germans, Italians, French, etc., used to do in those heady days when there was an actual 'high season' and a sizeable European demographic both visiting and living locally.

I mean, how do are they allowed to do it without having Thai staff?

doesn't defamation mean false accusations?

more often than not people are scared to leave truthful reviews worrying about this law

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Yes, but in Thailand I suspect that voicing a negative personal opinion against something or somebody is also taken as defamation, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Yes, but in Thailand I suspect that voicing a negative personal opinion against something or somebody is also taken as defamation, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Strictly speaking yes, but I doubt that it is a problem on an anonymous forum.

So which restaurant was the OP talking about?

Edited by DannyCarlton

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

probably right, even with video evidence...

41 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Not in Thailand.

• Like 1