Advice for iPad repair required.

Andrew Dwyer

I did post a similar thread in the Apple Forum but didn’t really get any definitive answers so having another go here.

I have a problem with my iPad ( iPad Air 2 ) display in that the blue, red and green colours are all exaggerated and cause photos or web photos to be dark and distorted. Have done all the hard reset and software adjustments possible to no avail

The problem appeared for a couple of weeks, rectified itself but then went off again after a couple of days.

Googling has brought up: “ a loose display connector or failing lcd “

Either way if a few slaps on the back don’t cure it then the screen needs removing to investigate.

I’m north of Bangkok (Ayutthaya) but am willing to travel into “ the big city “ if necessary.

Any recommendations of any places that can do this without risk ??

without risk ??       of what nature??

Yeah, what I meant was someone who can remove the display, analyse the problem and fix it without the “ risk “ of it failing again 2 days later or the discovery that some other aspect of the iPad does now not work.

Is the screen bulging from inside? If so then it's the battery, this is common for the types of batteries they use these days.

The first sign of any problems tends to be screen image distortion. It's what happens when the 'modern' batteries reach their end of life.

Your device is designed to be disposable and you're meant to pop out and buy a new one. This is their plan.

Is the screen bulging from inside? If so then it's the battery, this is common for the types of batteries they use these days.

The first sign of any problems tends to be screen image distortion. It's what happens when the 'modern' batteries reach their end of life.

Your device is designed to be disposable and you're meant to pop out and buy a new one. This is their plan.

No sign of any bulging, googling it seems to point to a loose connection inside.
The battery time still seems good although it is getting on for 5 years old now.

Pop out and buy a new one ??
On my pension !! [emoji51]

I’m hoping to get another couple of years out of it, actually working perfectly except for the screen colour distortion.

Here’s a couple of pics:

iPad

IMG_2598.JPG

iPhone
IMG_2599.JPG

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Apple products in my opinion are specifically designed to fail in one way or another to force you to purchase a new one. Next time choose a better brand that appreciates their customers.

Absolute tosh... I'm nether an Apple Fan boy or an Apple Hater, but it often seems that those who don't like Apple products spout some absolute rubbish for some unknown agenda. 

I've had a MacBook for 5 years - no issues. 

My Son has the iPad Mini (its my old one) its over 6 years old and has been treated as a kid treats treat stuff, i.e. Dropping it etc - no issues. 

In fact we have had lots of apple stuff. 

Apple TV, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, MacBook, 3 iPads (Wife, Son and I), Wife and I have iPhones - we don't buy this stuff because we love Apple - I really couldn't care less for Apple, or Samsung or any of the others, I'm really not interested in any of it - I just want something thats reliable, easy to use and works all of the time without fail - hence - we have bought Apple kit - It just works !

To be honest the new Apple Card (apple Credit card) makes me kind of hate the company - but it still makes the best kit IMO.

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolute tosh... I'm nether an Apple Fan boy or an Apple Hater, but it often seems that those who don't like Apple products spout some absolute rubbish for some unknown agenda. 

I've had a MacBook for 5 years - no issues. 

My Son has the iPad Mini (its my old one) its over 6 years old and has been treated as a kid treats treat stuff, i.e. Dropping it etc - no issues. 

In fact we have had lots of apple stuff. 

Apple TV, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, MacBook, 3 iPads (Wife, Son and I), Wife and I have iPhones - we don't buy this stuff because we love Apple - I really couldn't care less for Apple, or Samsung or any of the others, I'm really not interested in any of it - I just want something thats reliable, easy to use and works all of the time without fail - hence - we have bought Apple kit - It just works !

To be honest the new Apple Card (apple Credit card) makes me kind of hate the company - but it still makes the best kit IMO.

Well, as I said that was my personal opinion. My wife has owned many Apple products, all now kaput whilst my non-Apple products are going strong. I even had an issue with a 7-year old Samsung laptop and after asking for advice from them, they fixed it for free and paid the shipping. Try getting that from Apple. Oh and by the way, I paid under $400 for that laptop.

I'm sure Apple are great for people who don't understand advances in technology and are happy to spend loads on not only the products, but also the ludicrous repair estimates that they give. Good luck to them.

In my personal opinion, Apple are the biggest rip-off going and wouldn't be surprised if students in the future read about their appalling business model in economics textbooks. People are waking up to the way they behave as a company, I would be very worried if I owned (very overvalued) Apple stock right now. Customer service should be at the forefront of any successful business and that is something that Apples lacks in spades. Watch some Louis Rossman videos on YouTube if you don't believe me, that guy makes an incredible living from repairing Apple products and is not scared of telling viewers how badly engineered their products are.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yeah, what I meant was someone who can remove the display, analyse the problem and fix it without the “ risk “ of it failing again 2 days later or the discovery that some other aspect of the iPad does now not work.

Apparently removing the screen is a fairly serious matter on an iPad.   I  had an iPad2  (not air) that  had an issue with removing the sim card.   I was in Singapore at the time and paid around  85 sng to get it repaired.   I now understand it is a less than simple process.

I would take it to Amarin Plaza next to Chidlom station. There's Apple repair centre there and they are considered one of the best in Thailand.

Talk to them and see what they can do, or else they might send it for service (all official service is done in Singapore so it takes a week or 2 to get it back).

So far when they were under warranty and looked perfect on the outside, they tend to just replace the device instead of servicing it.

I took the opportunity to go to Zeer at Rangsit ( bil buying a used laptop ) and asked at a few places.
Some were obviously not familiar with the problem and were not pushed any further.
On recommendation from the laptop guy took it to a place who instantly recognised the problem and quoted me 3,900 baht ( £100 ), taken aback by this I said I’ll think about it !!

Found another spot who obviously worked on iPads and phones in this manner ( all the gear laid out on a workbench ) who quoted me 7,900 baht ( £200 ) !!

Am visiting the uk in 3 weeks time and via a FB group in my hometown have sourced a couple of places who , going on recommendations , are capable of this work.

Soo, if I can get it fixed in the uk for a reasonable price I will, if not will have a run into Bangkok and check out the places recommended on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this .

So I took it to a couple of places in my old hometown and they basically both said the same thing.
“ you lucked out with the iPad Air 2 as Apple changed the internal configuration making any screen/lcd changes more expensive “
They would tackle the job but warned that it could, depending on what is found inside, run into several hundred £’s .
The information on this site confirms this :

https://www.iphonerepairleeds.com/pages/ipad-air2-repair.html

Sooo, looks like my options are not good.

1) Pay £240 ( probably ) to repair it here in the uk.
2) Back to LOS and go with recommended places on here, expecting to pay a premium for the Air 2 configuration.
3) Source a new or recent used one here.

My next steps are :

Check out a 2018 model today ( owner upgraded ) I found on the net.
Run by the repair shop ( above link ) to confirm cost of repair.
Attempt a repair in BKK to keep as a spare or donate to a family member.

Archived