Plan for staying another 5 months

Hi all.

I think I can do this, but thought I'd ask just in case.

I'm here on a 60 day visa (obtained in my home country, Ireland) which I extended by 30 days. I want to stay another 5 months.

Is this feasible?

Border hop to Cambodia for 30 days visa exempt.

Extend for another 30 days at immigration.

Laos, for a another 60 days tourist visa, and extend for another 30 days.

I've no history of obtaining visa's outside of my own country.

Fly to Kuala Lumpur for a tourist visa (60 days plus 30 days extension). Then do a border bounce, by land, perhaps at one of the crossings into Myanmar. (visa exempt entry of 30 days plus 30 days extension). Should be no problem in your case if done in that order. It will become trickier when and if you want to stay longer than that.

Your plan sounds pretty good - get the visa exempt entry first, which will no doubt be allowed. Don't try and do a same day re-entry from Cambodia, stay a night or two and have fun, and avoid the Poipet land border crossing. Re enter and get another 30+30 days. Then go to Savannakhet next to get a new tourist visa 60+30 days. Take a bank statement. Definitely do-able, but don't forget to carry enough cash when re-entering and hotel bookings even if for one night.

However, if you have extensive history of visiting Thailand or have had any kind of issues in the country, it may not be this simple.

Edited by SteveK

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Re enter and get another 30+30 days. Then go to Savannakhet next to get a new tourist visa 60+30 days. Take a bank statement. Definitely do-able

Would getting a 2nd SETV+Extension first, and then a 30+30d be better or worse? Why?

57 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Would getting a 2nd SETV+Extension first, and then a 30+30d be better or worse? Why?

IMO getting setv first the best idea. Border entry visa exempt save for later. You can have 2 border entry  per calendar yr. 

Edited by DrJack54

Update:

I spoke to a visa run agent today, and they advised against going to Laos for a visa. Said they are having big problems right now.

I'm just going to do the 30+30 border hop to Cambodia, and fly home for a few weeks.

I was previously doing 3 months in Thailand, and 2/3 months at home, without any issues. Now I'm looking to spend most of the year in Thailand, so it's probably time to cough up for the Elite visa.

42 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Update:

I spoke to a visa run agent today, and they advised against going to Laos for a visa. Said they are having big problems right now.

I'm just going to do the 30+30 border hop to Cambodia, and fly home for a few weeks.

I was previously doing 3 months in Thailand, and 2/3 months at home, without any issues. Now I'm looking to spend most of the year in Thailand, so it's probably time to cough up for the Elite visa.

Doing border runs in combination with extensions and even a new 60 days TR in a neighbouring country,and start over again was doable just a year ago. BUT,starting this year there has been so many denials to enter Thailand in both airports and landcrossings because of to many Visa Exempts and even in combination with tourist visas. They sometimes ask you to show at least 20000 baht in cash. The owner of Key Visa Co in Pattaya said a couple of days ago there are 40-100 persons getting denied to enter Thailand every day at the airports in BKK. They are also quite tough if you enter from Malaysia. 

4 hours ago, SoonOh said:

Why use parasites agents? 

Follow Thaivisa members  good advise and you will be fine. 

Well, I've seen so many "advises" here,and I wouldn't say they're always good. Advises from people only traveling on tourist visas and visa exempts and some are always saying "I use to do like this". Totally useless in many cases,and sometime even completely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1