4th month as a tourist - Quite urgent please

Hi,

I am just going out to meet a friend who is asking for help in staying his fourth (and last) month in Thailand, so I need a quick reply if possible, so by the time I reach him I will have a solution to his problem.

Here is the situation.

He is a tourist, EU passport, he is in BKK now. He stayed 2 months and extended another month (he has no previous history of visits to Thailand).

He now has to wait a further 4 weeks for his return flight back home, so he is thinking of a visa run... the cheapest the better.

He has a EU passport, so my thinking is that he can simply go out and come back in same day and get a 30 days visa exempt stamp, right?

Can someone please advise on (1) whether he will have problems coming back in (2) where he should do it (Laos? Cambodia? Malasya? Myanmar?) and (3) whether by land or by air makes a difference (and which of these is best).

Thanks a lot.

Edited by canerandagio

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

depends on passport, depends on where he is, depends on how much $$ he wants to spend

EU Passport, he is in Bangkok. Obviously the cheapest option is best. He prefers to go by land but can fly if required, but only to a neighbouring country. I updated the original post to include all answers to your questions.

Edited by canerandagio

He just go out, come back on Tourist-VISA Excempt and voila have 30 days which can be extended with another 30 if needed... This is both by land or by air whatever he prefers. I do not know about closest or best places to do this, plse wait for another poster...

glegolo

• Like 2

The issue with a tourist visa or visa-exempt entries is that you might encounter some issues trying to re-enter same day, as several posters have mentioned on this site. Maybe if he went to Angkor Wat for a day or two before returning, then I can't see any issues with that, as long as he doesn't use the Aranyaprathet/Poipet land crossing which seems to be giving lots of people headaches.

Of course, I am assuming here that he not on overstay and has not had any trouble in Thailand, in which case it may be different.

Edited by SteveK

There is a thread closest land border crossing. He could search has all options covered.

I know you stated road travel however at least mention to him option of fly DM to Udon Thani and minibus run to friendship bridge. Heck spend night or two in bar area near central plaza. Chilled joint.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The issue with a tourist visa or visa-exempt entries is that you might encounter some issues trying to re-enter same day, as several posters have mentioned on this site. Maybe if he went to Angkor Wat for a day or two before returning, then I can't see any issues with that.

Of course, I am assuming here that he not on overstay and has not had any trouble in Thailand, in which case it may be different.

No issue with visa run agency I mentionned. Of course you can do it yourself and then easily run into issues by using the wrong border. 

Hint most noobs that go to Angkor Wat will come back via Poipet which is the worst land border. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all. He will do the Tesco Lotus visa run. He lives nearby and looks well organized. Thanks again.

Go to Tesco Lotus On Nut before 4am. They go to Myanmar and Cambodia everyday. Myanmar is 2000 and Cambodia I think around 3000. The website is https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

He will get 30 days visa exempt extendable. Max 2 land border run by calendar years. It's not worth it to try doing it yourself [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Thanks to all. He will do the Tesco Lotus visa run. He lives nearby and looks well organized. Thanks again.

There are 2 borders this company uses

Kanchanaburi - This border used to be difficult but has recently relaxed - IMO this is the best place - he also has the added bonus of going with the visa company who should be able to sort out any issues although to be honest he shouldn't really get any anyway

Ban Leam - Not been for a while so not had any first hand experience lately but it used to be easy - again the Visa Company will be able to sort out any issues

Tell him to take the first option - it's a lot quicker also - Ban Leam is a 5 hour trip both ways

Thanks. He will do the Kanchanaburi run indeed. He is here with me now and sends heartfelt thanks. [emoji6]

There are 2 borders this company uses

Kanchanaburi - This border used to be difficult but has recently relaxed - IMO this is the best place - he also has the added bonus of going with the visa company who should be able to sort out any issues although to be honest he shouldn't really get any anyway

Ban Leam - Not been for a while so not had any first hand experience lately but it used to be easy - again the Visa Company will be able to sort out any issues

Tell him to take the first option - it's a lot quicker also - Ban Leam is a 5 hour trip both ways

• Like 1

13 hours ago, canerandagio said:

EU Passport, he is in Bangkok. Obviously the cheapest option is best. He prefers to go by land but can fly if required, but only to a neighbouring country. I updated the original post to include all answers to your questions.

EU passport makes no sense here, each passport is issued by a specific member country and some EU states do not qualify for Visa Exempt. If he comes from a country that qualifies then there is no issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

EU passport makes no sense here, each passport is issued by a specific member country and some EU states do not qualify for Visa Exempt. If he comes from a country that qualifies then there is no issue. 

Interesting thanks. He does qualify for visa exempt.

18 hours ago, canerandagio said:

EU p.port means nothing. Some EU citizens do not get 30 visa waiver.

Go and check online if he is entitled to one.

• Like 1

If you consider yourself a friend have a large drink ready for him when he gets back, visa run in a van = Russian roulette by road.

bangkok to Kuala Lumpur by air is very frequent and if you pick the times very cheap and SAFE

Edited by PJPom
Additional comment

23 hours ago, SteveK said:

The issue with a tourist visa or visa-exempt entries is that you might encounter some issues trying to re-enter same day, as several posters have mentioned on this site. Maybe if he went to Angkor Wat for a day or two before returning, then I can't see any issues with that, as long as he doesn't use the Aranyaprathet/Poipet land crossing which seems to be giving lots of people headaches.

From BKK to Myanmar via Kanchanaburi is probably the quickest and cheapest way to do it.

If money is a real problem,then take the aircon bus to Kanchanaburi (135km). Then just pick any agency along the River Kwai Road and pay for the trip to the Myanmar border and back.

9 hours ago, PJPom said:

If you consider yourself a friend have a large drink ready for him when he gets back, visa run in a van = Russian roulette by road.

bangkok to Kuala Lumpur by air is very frequent and if you pick the times very cheap and SAFE

At one time, I would have strongly recommended doing the border bounce by air. Now that involves a different kind of Russian roulette. When entering by air the same day after a previous tourist entry, there is no guarantee that immigration will grant the visa exempt entry.

Personally, I avoid the vans as much as possible, and would take a bus to Kanchanaburi to avoid the most dangerous part of the journey. However, I can understand why some want to take the easy (if slightly risky) visa run. If in one of those vans, try not to look.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

At one time, I would have strongly recommended doing the border bounce by air. Now that involves a different kind of Russian roulette. When entering by air the same day after a previous tourist entry, there is no guarantee that immigration will grant the visa exempt entry.

Personally, I avoid the vans as much as possible, and would take a bus to Kanchanaburi to avoid the most dangerous part of the journey. However, I can understand why some want to take the easy (if slightly risky) visa run. If in one of those vans, try not to look.

Yes,take the aircon bus to Kanchanaburi from the southern bus terminal. Then go to a travel agency for the trip to Myanmar and back. New freeway all the way,and the vans are not that bad. 

Thanks to all answers. As from my earlier posts (1) He does qualify for visa exemption and (2) he will do the visa run from tesco lotus on nut as advised above. He'll leave in a few days so I will post here how it went. Just curious... when doing the Kanchanaburi visa run one enters Myanmar with a special day pass, which I guess doesn't allow to stay in Myanmar more than a day, nor it does allow to travel anywhere else other than the border area... if my assumption is right, how could one be refused to enter Thailand again? If that was possible that part of Myanmar would be a refugee camp of no failed visa runners... see what I am saying?

I did it the day you made this thread. It was my second time at this border. Now they don't even bring you in Myanmar anymore (no more duty free shopping), only the passport. I asked the same question to the owner of the visa run company and he said they don't let you cross the border if you can't come back. 2 girls slipped thru by error because they already had 2 border run this year. In that case they cancel the exit stamp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canerandagio said:

Thanks to all answers. As from my earlier posts (1) He does qualify for visa exemption and (2) he will do the visa run from tesco lotus on nut as advised above. He'll leave in a few days so I will post here how it went. Just curious... when doing the Kanchanaburi visa run one enters Myanmar with a special day pass, which I guess doesn't allow to stay in Myanmar more than a day, nor it does allow to travel anywhere else other than the border area... if my assumption is right, how could one be refused to enter Thailand again? If that was possible that part of Myanmar would be a refugee camp of no failed visa runners... see what I am saying?

You were talking about an easy border run from BKK,and that's what the advises going from Kanchanaburi are about. You said nothing about staying in Myanmar. 

Hi Max. I think my last message was misunderstood... there us no question about staying in myanmar, my curiosity was on how one could do if he was not allowed back into Thailand, as he could not be in Myanmar either...
This curiosity was satisfied by tahayut's latest post.
Tx

You were talking about an easy border run from BKK,and that's what the advises going from Kanchanaburi are about. You said nothing about staying in Myanmar. 

1 hour ago, canerandagio said:

Hi Max. I think my last message was misunderstood... there us no question about staying in myanmar, my curiosity was on how one could do if he was not allowed back into Thailand, as he could not be in Myanmar either...
This curiosity was satisfied by tahayut's latest post.
Tx

Yes,as he said,you don't really enter Myanmar,you just get across the border,and then back again with your 30 days exempt visa. If you haven't been in Kanchanaburi before,stay there a couple of days. It's a really nice place, especially if you stay next to the River Kwai,and it's really cheap there. I used to stay there. 

12 hours ago, canerandagio said:

There is a universal policy at all border crossings to Myanmar when entering with a border pass that Thai immigration will not stamp you out of Thailand without first verifying that you are eligible for re-entry. There could, I suppose, be an issue if you managed to lose your passport during the border bounce. I am unsure how that is addressed, but I do not think you are forced to remain in no man's land for the duration.

57 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is a universal policy at all border crossings to Myanmar when entering with a border pass that Thai immigration will not stamp you out of Thailand without first verifying that you are eligible for re-entry. There could, I suppose, be an issue if you managed to lose your passport during the border bounce. I am unsure how that is addressed, but I do not think you are forced to remain in no man's land for the duration.

"There could, I suppose, be an issue if you managed to lose your passport during the border bounce."

What are you talking about? Why lose his passport a few meters inside Myanmar? You seem a bit paranoid. 

On 8/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, jacko45k said:

Which EU state is not VOA?

On 8/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, DrJack54 said:

There is a thread closest land border crossing. He could search has all options covered.

I know you stated road travel however at least mention to him option of fly DM to Udon Thani and minibus run to friendship bridge. Heck spend night or two in bar area near central plaza. Chilled joint.

I think he needs to leave Thailand

Udon Thani is in Thailand as is the Friendship bridge. Are you suggesting he travels to Lao? Which Plaza are you referring to in which country?