Accepting shipment with work permit

I have just moved to Bangkok and had some of my personal items sent with FedEx. I was told to include my work permit with my my shipment so as not to be charged the duty taxes when bringing stuff into the country (as this is classified as a "relocation". I'm not sure what happened- however FedEx cleared customs without any knowledge or proof of the work permit, and now are charging me 22,000 thb in duty fees (it should have been a mere fraction of this). Is there any way to rectify this? They are holding it at the FedEx facility at the moment. 

Thanks for any help or advice you have. 

Andrea

Edited by alschmutt

First of all, you must understand that the thing is that we are talking about "personal effects" and what Thailand customs are considering to be personal effects, and that isnot much more than just a few various items....

Do you have stuff like electronics? eletric? or other utensils, than you/we are screwed in this country..... But try to contact Fedex and present to them your workpermit and explain. And see what will happen.

Good luck

glegolo

Did you make sure that Fedex offers to clear customs in the way which you described?

Here in Thailand the couriers like FedEx (also DHL, UPS etc.) always try to take you out, so the general advice is to not use them, welcome to Thailand.

35 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you make sure that Fedex offers to clear customs in the way which you described?

Here in Thailand the couriers like FedEx (also DHL, UPS etc.) always try to take you out, so the general advice is to not use them, welcome to Thailand.

+ 1 so true