Buying a new laptop :should I wait till they come with 5G

thecyclist

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

Completely wrong.

I can see that you like yo boost your technical knowledge. If it might be that you have any, then you would also know that many people are novices when it comes to computers. Otherise they would not need to ask online questions about specific areas. You can state your opinion, but you should not tell me that I am completely wrong in the direct manor that you just did. That vecause I am not. 

I am going to tell you that when 5G is fully rolled out, that is a system that is going to be optimized for mobile use, and not have the same new functions and effect like it has for mobile users on laptops. Therefore my information is not wrong, and many people will not see much of a difference in speed just using the eye. Not saying that you not going to see it. I am speaking about the common user, that is not into tech nerdamania.

After that, feel free to come with morw specification to show off. I was pointing my post to the OP, and was trying to help him/her in an easy to understand manor.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You mix things up.

Wifi frequencies can 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz.  But that is completely different than 4G or 5G for mobiles.

Spot on, but it is confusing. With a name so close, it’s easy to get confused. 5G is cellular service like your smartphone uses. And 5 GHz refers to the wireless spectrum your Wi-Fi router can use. You can’t take your existing Wi-Fi router and connect it to 5G cellular service. And you can’t take this device and connect it to your existing home Internet provider to give your house Wi-Fi.  You need 5G service in your area to take advantage of this device.

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

JamJar, why do you think my post was adressed to you in particular? 

Sorry, I didn't go further in reading your post, much too long and technical. 

It hardly matters to whom it was addressed. You posted it, so anyone can reply.

Seems a bit pointless you joining the thread, since you don't appear to understand anything at all Nor do you appear to have a wont to understand it.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I can see that you like yo boost your technical knowledge. If it might be that you have any, then you would also know that many people are novices when it comes to computers. Otherise they would not need to ask online questions about specific areas. You can state your opinion, but you should not tell me that I am completely wrong in the direct manor that you just did. That vecause I am not. 

I am going to tell you that when 5G is fully rolled out, that is a system that is going to be optimized for mobile use, and not have the same new functions and effect like it has for mobile users on laptops. Therefore my information is not wrong, and many people will not see much of a difference in speed just using the eye. Not saying that you not going to see it. I am speaking about the common user, that is not into tech nerdamania.

After that, feel free to come with morw specification to show off. I was pointing my post to the OP, and was trying to help him/her in an easy to understand manor.

Everything that you wrote was and is completely wrong.

First of all, the average user can and will see the difference. That is because the average user will stream and download video of one form or the other.

People are not so stupid that they cannot see when something is downloading much faster than before.

That is for mobile usage alone.

But there is another aspect; Fixed Wireless Access. 

This, as opposed to usage for mobile phones, is a way to supply fast broadband to homes using mobile wireless technology, as opposed to copper wire/fibre.

5G FWA rivals fibre broadband networks for speed. So areas not currently covered by fibre can have a 5G FWA network supplying them with Fibre like speeds.

So once again, in this case, the people who are currently on 17 Mbps ADSL2+ will certainly notice a difference in downloading and streaming on a 100 Mbps connection.

These things(FWA networks) are happening right now, in the USA and in the UK.

http://telecoms.com/497826/three-enters-the-5g-fracas-with-fwa-offering/

These are normal people, not technological wizards. They will notice the difference.

So I stand by my statement that you are completely wrong.

26 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Everything that you wrote was and is completely wrong.

First of all, the average user can and will see the difference. That is because the average user will stream and download video of one form or the other.

People are not so stupid that they cannot see when something is downloading much faster than before.

That is for mobile usage alone.

But there is another aspect; Fixed Wireless Access. 

This, as opposed to usage for mobile phones, is a way to supply fast broadband to homes using mobile wireless technology, as opposed to copper wire/fibre.

5G FWA rivals fibre broadband networks for speed. So areas not currently covered by fibre can have a 5G FWA network supplying them with Fibre like speeds.

So once again, in this case, the people who are currently on 17 Mbps ADSL2+ will certainly notice a difference in downloading and streaming on a 100 Mbps connection.

These things(FWA networks) are happening right now, in the USA and in the UK.

http://telecoms.com/497826/three-enters-the-5g-fracas-with-fwa-offering/

These are normal people, not technological wizards. They will notice the difference.

So I stand by my statement that you are completely wrong.

Sure, you do that, nevermind. What about my part of the post that stated it was depending upon how much he was in need of a new laptop? Was that also completely wrong?

After this I am not going to bother about you no more. Clearly more people see that you just try to stand above everybody else. Then they get irritated and write something against the forum rules and have their posts removed. Not going to happen with me.

it really is not an issue! Any electronic item you purchase will breakdown! (Fact).

I have had numerous TVs, Washing Machines, Mobile Phones, PCs and Note Books over the years and ALL broke down! To that end pay your money and take your chance!!!

I would not Recommend "Samsung!"

17 hours ago, shady86 said:

There is only a handful of laptops with built in WAN, mostly business laptops targeting users who need all time connectivity.

5G for WiFi is already supported by most modern laptops.

4G network will stay for at least 10 years, same as 3G which is still around now.

I think some folks are getting confused here between two entirely different things:

--5 GHz WIFI, which simply is a newer band of regular wifi that can be faster and less crowded than the more common 2.4 GHz wifi band. 

vs.

--5th Generation (abbreviated to 5G) mobile (cellular) data technologies, which aren't even commercially available in Thailand yet, for which they are VERY few compatible mobile phones right now, and which will be the next step in mobile data beyond the current LTE standard.

Since the OP mentioned wifi, presumably he was asking about actual 5 GHz wifi. And as another poster mentioned, any decent laptop these days should come with a wifi adapter that's capable of receiving wifi data on the 5 GHz band, which is available but still not so common in Thailand among wifi routers to transmit and portable devices (like phones and laptops) to receive.

Yes, these days, if I was buying a new phone or laptop, I'd want it to be dual band (meaning 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi capable) and preferably of wifi AC standard, although there's also slower 5 GHz wifi available on older N standard wifi devices. But these days, for 5 GHz wifi, AC standard wifi is the way to go.

With a mobile phone, you're stuck with whatever wifi hardware comes with the phone you buy -- you can't upgrade it later. But with a laptop, you can add newer, better wifi technology to even an older laptop by buying and using a new wifi adapter (with dual band AC technology) that simply plugs into an available USB port. And then you select to use it, and disable the laptop's older, built-in wifi adapter in settings.

4 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Spot on, but it is confusing. With a name so close, it’s easy to get confused. 5G is cellular service like your smartphone uses. And 5 GHz refers to the wireless spectrum your Wi-Fi router can use. You can’t take your existing Wi-Fi router and connect it to 5G cellular service. And you can’t take this device and connect it to your existing home Internet provider to give your house Wi-Fi.  You need 5G service in your area to take advantage of this device.

You're basically correct...

The G in 5G cellular/mobile data service stands for "generation", meaning the 5th gen next evolution of mobile data after the current 4G/LTE standard.

The G in 5 GHz wifi stands for the "Gigahertz" frequency band that that particular type of wifi transmits on.

Two entirely different and unrelated things that, confusingly, both happen to get referred to in shorthand by some as 5G

Right now, AFAIK, there is no 5G mobile data service commercially available in Thailand, though the various mobile carriers are testing it and working to begin rolling it out soon.

At any rate, for a laptop...

--right now, you can easily buy a 5 GHz capable wifi adapter, either as a built-in device or as an external, USB connection adapter.

--however, that's an entirely different device from a future 5G mobile data modem/adapter that laptops in the future could use to connect to 5G cellular data services. That kind of PC modem isn't even commercially available yet in Thailand, nor are the 5G mobile data services that would feed it.

A 5 GHz WIFI adapter does NOT enable its device to receive future 5th Gen mobile data services.

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, you do that, nevermind. What about my part of the post that stated it was depending upon how much he was in need of a new laptop? Was that also completely wrong?

After this I am not going to bother about you no more. Clearly more people see that you just try to stand above everybody else. Then they get irritated and write something against the forum rules and have their posts removed. Not going to happen with me.

The fact is that your reply was completely wrong.

I have no problem in explaining why.

Let us look at what the OP actually wrote;

I am not very tech-savvy, so not even sure this question makes sense. I have made do with just a smartphone for 2 years, but it's about time to get a laptop again. But with the roll-out of 5G networks, which are supposed to be 100 times faster (downloading /streaming), in the works, I was wondering whether I should wait till new computers that can connect to 5G wifi become available, or is this something that applies only to smartphones and mobile data connection :obviously my current 4G smartphone will not be able to connect with 5G networks.

and then let us look at what you wrote;

To make a very long irrelevant thread shorther. To OP: I guess that depends on how much you need a new laptop. The differens from4G to 5G will not be visible for the unprofessional eye anyway.

You completely missed the point. The OP did not want some wildly expensive laptop with an Gigabit capable LTE modem within. They just wanted to understand whether it was something that he needed to consider when looking at new laptops.

The answer was no. 802.11ac wireless protocol is all that he needs for WiFi, 

So your statement of it being dependent of how much he needed a laptop was rendered totally irrelevant. The irony of your trying to state that the other posts on the "long" thread were irrelevant should not be lost on you.

Your second statement of the difference between 4G and 5G "not being visible for the unprofessional eye" is also not based on any kind of fact and subsequently, quite wrong.

I just post the facts on the matter, I do not concern myself with subjective opinions, nor yours nor anyone else's emotional state.

33 minutes ago, JamJar said:

The fact is that your reply was completely wrong.

I have no problem in explaining why.

Let us look at what the OP actually wrote;

and then let us look at what you wrote;

You completely missed the point. The OP did not want some wildly expensive laptop with an Gigabit capable LTE modem within. They just wanted to understand whether it was something that he needed to consider when looking at new laptops.

The answer was no. 802.11ac wireless protocol is all that he needs for WiFi, 

So your statement of it being dependent of how much he needed a laptop was rendered totally irrelevant. The irony of your trying to state that the other posts on the "long" thread were irrelevant should not be lost on you.

Your second statement of the difference between 4G and 5G "not being visible for the unprofessional eye" is also not based on any kind of fact and subsequently, quite wrong.

I just post the facts on the matter, I do not concern myself with subjective opinions, nor yours nor anyone else's emotional state.

Thank you for making fat text at the obvious. 

it's about time to get a laptop again.

and

I was wondering whether I should wait till new computers that can connect to 5G wifi become available

Because of that I was stating that it was depending on how much time to get a laptop again he had. In that case it´s depending on in how big need of a laptop he was.

If you can´t understand that, then I can only feel sorry for your overfilled ego, like other posters also comment about.

However, maybe they will delete my post too, and let your arrogant attitude fill this thread.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

JamJar you seems to have a full of yourself attitude. 

He is just sweeping aside the garbage in an attempt to keep useful contributions under the spotlight. Many topics clearly show his intentions are good although probably best avoided by those who argue without back up knowledge. Computer topics can be difficult and best resolved with minimum cloud.

Thanks for your expert replies:Looks like something I won't have to worry. It's definitely not going to be a high-end device :15000 Baht is the  limit for me. 
15k is hardly a war chest for the latest spec laptop. Or even current spec. However, if what I had was ready for the bin, what would I do assuming I am in Thailand and want something portable with 15k burning a hole in my pocket. Well Ok I could buy some old model Lenovo sitting on the shelf at Power Buy. I would seriously consider getting a Samsung Tab A and a bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

15k is hardly a war chest for the latest spec laptop. Or even current spec. However, if what I had was ready for the bin, what would I do assuming I am in Thailand and want something portable with 15k burning a hole in my pocket. Well Ok I could buy some old model Lenovo sitting on the shelf at Power Buy. I would seriously consider getting a Samsung Tab A and a bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

I wouldn't. I would buy a solid second user business device, as opposed to some toy that can break if you look at it too hard.

Try servicing it yourself to see how far you get.

Too many people rushing at the latest technology, are simply wasting their money.

Solidly made business device will likely last for years to come and will be easily configurable. Increasing RAM and/or SSD.

I'd put my money on something like this any day of the week; https://www.blackmoreit.com/laptop-laptops/beis7250-dell-latitude-7250-laptop-core-i5-5300u-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-12.5-windows-10-.html  over a Tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard.

It's just not a serious suggestion.

For 15k you can buy a serious business quality device; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-7280-Laptop-Core-i5-6300U-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-12-5-Win-10-Pro/233290488340 with many other options, including Lenovo Business, not consumer devices.

https://www.blackmoreit.com/e7450256gb-ssd-dell-latitude-e7450-core-i5-5300u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-display-windows-10.html

I wouldn't. I would buy a solid second user business device, as opposed to some toy that can break if you look at it too hard.
Try servicing it yourself to see how far you get.
Too many people rushing at the latest technology, are simply wasting their money.

Solidly made business device will likely last for years to come and will be easily configurable. Increasing RAM and/or SSD.

I'd put my money on something like this any day of the week; https://www.blackmoreit.com/laptop-laptops/beis7250-dell-latitude-7250-laptop-core-i5-5300u-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-12.5-windows-10-.html  over a Tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard.

It's just not a serious suggestion.

For 15k you can buy a serious business quality device; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-7280-Laptop-Core-i5-6300U-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-12-5-Win-10-Pro/233290488340 with many other options, including Lenovo Business, not consumer devices.

https://www.blackmoreit.com/e7450256gb-ssd-dell-latitude-e7450-core-i5-5300u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-display-windows-10.html

I think your example is from ebay UK. I was more referring to someone buying a machine in Thailand for 15k baht in line with the OP's spec

With second hand devices you are never sure what you are getting. A second hand bicycle I would know what to stress-test and able to make a fair estimate of its value. With a computer I wouldn't know where to start :You might be getting something that is as good as new or something that's in end stages of its durability. Even worse with something bought on the web :You can't do any tests before purchase. 

28 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

With second hand devices you are never sure what you are getting. A second hand bicycle I would know what to stress-test and able to make a fair estimate of its value. With a computer I wouldn't know where to start :You might be getting something that is as good as new or something that's in end stages of its durability. Even worse with something bought on the web :You can't do any tests before purchase. 

When you buy from a reputable seller, they stand by their product. 

When you buy a high standard business device, you can expect it to be solidly built. You get a lot of device for a fraction of it's original price.

Assuming I was in Thailand I guess any consideration of a second-hand machine would be a hands-on walkaround of what's on show in TukCom. There might be one or two worth considering. More of a market there in second-hand phones and tablets. Don't know how it is in Bangkok.

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Assuming I was in Thailand I guess any consideration of a second-hand machine would be a hands-on walkaround of what's on show in TukCom. There might be one or two worth considering. More of a market there in second-hand phones and tablets. Don't know how it is in Bangkok.

Would not consider anything there to be great value. Nor would I be keen on buying a one-off device, unless from a reputable vendor.

Better to get a friend to bring one with them. 

Unlikely that you would get a laptop comparative in value and quality in Thailand.

Would not consider anything there to be great value. Nor would I be keen on buying a one-off device, unless from a reputable vendor.
Better to get a friend to bring one with them. 
Unlikely that you would get a laptop comparative in value and quality in Thailand.

I'm lucky enough to be able to go shopping in Hong Kong, though there are occasional models on sale at Power Buy which are competitively priced.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I'm lucky enough to be able to go shopping in Hong Kong, though there are occasional models on sale at Power Buy which are competitively priced.

I just don't buy laptops for myself that often. I've had an unused laptop in it's original box for the past ten years, as I'm still using another similarly old laptop.

Upgraded them both with more RAM and SSD, then put the unused one straight back into it's box.

Have only purchased one laptop new, ever. Twelve years ago in Thailand, for a girlfriend. 

That one is still in use too. Upgraded it with a dual core processor, 4GB of RAM and an SSD, at the tremendous cost of 1500 baht inclusive of labour(at current exchange rates).

Leave that one in Thailand, so I don't need to take a laptop with me when I visit.

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

I just don't buy laptops for myself that often. I've had an unused laptop in it's original box for the past ten years, as I'm still using another similarly old laptop.

Upgraded them both with more RAM and SSD, then put the unused one straight back into it's box.

Have only purchased one laptop new, ever. Twelve years ago in Thailand, for a girlfriend. 

That one is still in use too. Upgraded it with a dual core processor, 4GB of RAM and an SSD, at the tremendous cost of 1500 baht inclusive of labour(at current exchange rates).

Leave that one in Thailand, so I don't need to take a laptop with me when I visit.

Hey JJ while you're on the topic of upgrading, I'd like to know if I could get more power under the hood, that is RAM and CPU, on this notebook: https://notebookspec.com/notebook/5911-HP-PAVILION-11-N026TU-X360.html .

1 hour ago, somchaismith said:

Hey JJ while you're on the topic of upgrading, I'd like to know if I could get more power under the hood, that is RAM and CPU, on this notebook: https://notebookspec.com/notebook/5911-HP-PAVILION-11-N026TU-X360.html .

If you have already fitted an SSD, there's not much else you can do.

If you haven't fitted an SSD, then you should. 

Like many consumer devices, it is more difficult than it needs to be. Though it is still something that you can do yourself.

Here is another video that shows a bit more if you are wanting to change the battery etc

But the first is specifically for changing the HDD. Probably best to watch both before proceeding.

Upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, will bring a lesser benefit than fitting an SSD and clean installing the operating system to it.

Plus, the RAM upgrade is potentially more expensive than the cost of an SSD; https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/memory/8gb/ddr3-1600/sodimm-ddr3/sort/price/asc/

So SSD first. Then, maybe, RAM afterwards. CPU, you likely cannot do much if soldered to the Motherboard.

You can see the difference between just a RAM upgrade or just an SSD upgrade or both RAM and SSD upgrade.

SSD upgrade makes the biggest difference. Adding RAM to an already upgraded to SSD makes a small difference. Adding RAM without fitting an SSD is a waste of money;

HP have such a bewildering array of devices, many of which have no discernible maintenance manuals, that you'll have to confirm if your device has screws on the underside or whether it is the much easier slide off version.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The bootup time video you shared is impressive.

Perhaps initially I should have explained that I'm going to be using a program called ManyCam on the notebook, which requires plenty of power to reach its full potential.

For me a clean install is such a great deal of work, reinstalling software, changing settings, finding usernames/passwords and so forth.

11 hours ago, somchaismith said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. The bootup time video you shared is impressive.

Perhaps initially I should have explained that I'm going to be using a program called ManyCam on the notebook, which requires plenty of power to reach its full potential.

For me a clean install is such a great deal of work, reinstalling software, changing settings, finding usernames/passwords and so forth.

You don't have to clean install, you can just clone. but you aren't going to get more processing power.

That thing just won't cut it.

Better to pick up a cheap second hand tower unit with an i3/15 CPU for perhaps 3k and start afresh.

Example; https://www.thailandallit.com/product/8/dell-optiplex-7010-รุ่น-top-pc-dell-มือสอง-pc-dell-ราคาถูก at a minimum.

5.png.50de9c2431208dc3d1720b02b754179e.png6.png.ac14b9448f75886a975c6c7175903056.png

Another example;

https://www.thailandallit.com/product/38/acer-m2-series-2

7.png.d970172a6a362107fd54757105c3d763.png

So that is the kind of processing power you need to get the best from the software.

More examples: https://www.thailandallit.com/category/9/computer-brandname/

Archived