Australia - Having baby with Thai wife/defacto covered by Medicare?

bbi1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, bbi1 said:

Is it an easy process to register the baby as an Aussie citizen by descent in Thailand at the Aussie Embassy and get the baby an Aussie passport? What type of things will they require and roughly how long does it take?

Very easy. My wife had a c-section for out son 16 years ago at Ratchathewi hospital (Victory monument). The delivery went fine and was pretty much free, We did give an 6000 baht to the doctor though, even though we didn't have to. Government hospitals have many births per day, so they are good at what they do. My wife is also a nursing college director now so she watched them like a hawk lol

When my son was 18 months old we went to Australia but had to get him a tourist visa. We planned to be there 4 weeks but had to cut it short because they would only grant him 3 weeks. We managed to rebook our flight for an earlier return.

After that, we decided to get him the citizenship by descent. I recall needing my passport, wife's ID and marriage certificate. There was probably other stuff, but you will find it on the Australian embassy website. 

It's really easy for him to travel now - leave Thailand on the Thai passport and then enters OZ on the Australian passport. No visas necessary. 

My wife also has a 2 year (or 3?) year tourist visa for Australia. One just needs to she that your wife needs to return to Thailand for their job or other pressing reasons. We got that early last year and plan to travel again before her visa expires. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, MAF666 said:

Nothing wrong with C section birth in Bangkok. My son was born C section in the public hospital in Nakhorn Pathom 12 years ago. Excellent experience. Cost THB1100.

Once you have applied for an Oz PR you will get a blue medicare card, which gives you all the entitlements of a regular green medicare card.

When they are granted PR status, they will be issued the regular green medicare card.

Should you not be applying for Oz PR you will be charged full cost.

If you are not going the PR route, best to stay in Thailand for the birth.

My mrs got hers well before being granted PR Just after we got married I seem to recall( maybe on the prospective spouse visa..not 100% sure as it was a while ago) PR didn't come through for another 2 years. She had the boob check, the internal lady bits thing all on the blue card.

Archived