Health insurance needed for O or O-A visa?

O-A only available own country. You actually get 2 years out of it. Your money can remain in home country. Great option esp given new requirements on extensions based on retirement. Yes some extra things to tick off but grab one. Currently insurance not required. Get your application in

• Like 1

A SE O Visa, valid 90 days, only allows a 90 day entry.

A ME O Visa, valid 1 year, allows multiple 90 day entries.

A O-A Visa, valid 1 year, allows multiple 1 year entries.

Only the O-A Visa will be affected by the proposed Health Insurance requirement.

The O-A is only available from a Thai Embassy/Consulate where you have citizenship or permanent residency.

The O Visa is currently available from a number of Thai Embassy/Consulates depending on varying circumstances.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Medical insurance is not required for either an O or O-A visa.

It would help you get better answers if you told us what country you are from. Also what country are you in now?

Everything you need to know should be available on the website of the Thai Consulate in your home country. You should look at that first and then ask questions if you still have them.

11 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Medical insurance is not required for either an O or O-A visa.

It would help you get better answers if you told us what country you are from. Also what country are you in now?

Everything you need to know should be available on the website of the Thai Consulate in your home country. You should look at that first and then ask questions if you still have them.

From the US, but in Thailand atm.  Have looked...trying to get up to date info..  Thanks.

Also, If anyone knows - Can the 800,000 baht (for type O) be in two different banks (Thai)?  And it has to be in for 2 months prior to Visa - 3 months prior to extension?  Thanks

20 minutes ago, michael888 said:

From the US, but in Thailand atm.  Have looked...trying to get up to date info..  Thanks.

Also, If anyone knows - Can the 800,000 baht (for type O) be in two different banks (Thai)?  And it has to be in for 2 months prior to Visa - 3 months prior to extension?  Thanks

You can only get an O-A from a Consulate in the US. I believe you can get an -O in a Consulate in a nearby country. 

Visas cannot be obtained 'in country' 

(An entry from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa can be 'converted' to that of a Non-Imm O in country is an 'exception')

Many differences between an O and an OA, the former gives either single or multiple 3 month entries, the latter multiple one year entries. In some cases where Visas are obtained 'online', multiple Non-Imm-Os are now not available. 

Only a Non-Imm-OX Visa currently requires Medical Insurance. 

6 hours ago, Martyp said:

I believe you can get an -O in a Consulate in a nearby country. 

I think one can get O (not retirement O) visa for US consulates also if the person has a Thai family (wife, husband, mother, father, sons, daughters)

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Visas cannot be obtained 'in country' 

(An entry from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa can be 'converted' to that of a Non-Imm O in country is an 'exception')

Many differences between an O and an OA, the former gives either single or multiple 3 month entries, the latter multiple one year entries. In some cases where Visas are obtained 'online', multiple Non-Imm-Os are now not available. 

Only a Non-Imm-OX Visa currently requires Medical Insurance. 

But the O can be extended under yearly stay. But it stays an O.

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

But the O can be extended under yearly stay. But it stays an O.

Semantics maybe. The original Non-Imm O Visa is used and expired. The permission to stay gets extended.

The first extension must be based on an original Non-Imm-O permit to stay. 

Edited by jacko45k

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have an O and that is it. So there is no A with my O.

So you are telling me you have a non-Imm O, not an O-A, which I never even mentioned? 

No difference when getting an extension on an expired one.

Perhaps you quoted me erroneously?