I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea – Looking for general advice and suggestions about buying a CPAP mask

tomgreen

Following on from my original past topic ( Angina – Any one have or had my symptoms ) I have now finally discovered what my symptoms are due to. 

Well after suffering a range of symptoms after I went to sleep at night time with regularly being awoken with a feeling that I could not breathe properly / a sensation like some one was sitting on my chest / the sensation of light tingling down the left hand side of my arm and leg but no where else on my body,  I took Sheryl's advice and went to see a cardiologist at a local private hospital.

The cardiologist recommended carrying out several tests including a treadmill stress test and an ultra scan of the heart ( before the treadmill stress test and after ) . The tests were then carried out later that day by a second different cardiologist . The results from those tests showed no issues or heart problems other than some slight thickening of the hearts left ventricle wall due to my age ( 70 ).

I explained to the second cardiologist that I have had an anxiety and ongoing stress issues over the past few years and I wondered if those anxiety and ongoing stress situation may have some thing to do with my current after going to sleep symptoms. 

The second cardiologist agreed that my anxiety and ongoing stress issues could have some thing to do with my current night time symptoms , but first they wanted to rule out the possibility that Sleep Apnea could be the cause of my night time symptoms.  So an appointment was made for me to undergo an over night sleep test at the same private hospital.  

I have just received the results of that over night sleep test and the hospitals Pulmonologist confirmed that indeed I am suffering from Sleep Apnea and they recommended that I now obtain and start to use a CPAP mask .

So I would be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions or experiences about purchasing / using a CPAP mask and if you too have had experience of Sleep Apnea

Tom

Following on from my original past topic ( Angina – Any one have or had my symptoms ) I have now finally discovered what my symptoms are due to. 

Well after suffering a range of symptoms after I went to sleep at night time with regularly being awoken with a feeling that I could not breathe properly / a sensation like some one was sitting on my chest / the sensation of light tingling down the left hand side of my arm and leg but no where else on my body,  I took Sheryl's advice and went to see a cardiologist at a local private hospital.
The cardiologist recommended carrying out several tests including a treadmill stress test and an ultra scan of the heart ( before the treadmill stress test and after ) . The tests were then carried out later that day by a second different cardiologist . The results from those tests showed no issues or heart problems other than some slight thickening of the hearts left ventricle wall due to my age ( 70 ).

I explained to the second cardiologist that I have had an anxiety and ongoing stress issues over the past few years and I wondered if those anxiety and ongoing stress situation may have some thing to do with my current after going to sleep symptoms. 

The second cardiologist agreed that my anxiety and ongoing stress issues could have some thing to do with my current night time symptoms , but first they wanted to rule out the possibility that Sleep Apnea could be the cause of my night time symptoms.  So an appointment was made for me to undergo an over night sleep test at the same private hospital.  

I have just received the results of that over night sleep test and the hospitals Pulmonologist confirmed that indeed I am suffering from Sleep Apnea and they recommended that I now obtain and start to use a CPAP mask .

So I would be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions or experiences about purchasing / using a CPAP mask and if you too have had experience of Sleep Apnea

Tom

Hi I m Keith american I have sleep apnea. From the states and brought my clap machine with me. My usa insurance paired for it. It cost about 1000[emoji845]dollars. With mask and water holder. Many normally is replaced each day months. I really never got used to it. I would get sensation of drowning when I used it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After about with AF, I had a sleep test.

Although the result wasn't too clear, the doctor recommended a CPAP. I really got the feeling he was just trying to sell me one. 

Fairly recently, I took the results to Phayathai 2 and saw Dr Viratch Tangsujaritvijit for a second opinion. He confirmed a negative result and saw nothing that would contribute to AF.

He did, however, mention that some people do find more restful sleep with aCPAP, and that I could rent one for a couple weeks to try it out. In my case, I couldn't sleep at all with the thing. I tried a "nose only" mask and it would either keep blocking my nose, or would blow open my mouth. If I ever tried again, I would go for  the nose/mouth mask.

It only cost 700 baht for the two weeks, at Ramathibodi Hospital. You will need to get a referral from Dr. Viratch.

https://www.phyathai.com/doctor_detail/40326/นพ.วิรัช_ตั้งสุจริตวิจิตร

Their machines are quite expensive. But it will give you a "feel" for what you might like.

It may be that you do need a CPAP machine, but on the other hand doctors seldom offer recommendations that they believe it is unlikely that the patient will follow.  Losing weight for example, which can help with some cases of sleep apnea.  Also, it's worth trying Breathe Right strips (not the cheap Chinese knockoffs, which are useless) at night.  It's like a small, stiff band-aid that you stick on your nose to hold your nostrils open.  Don't know how likely it is to help you, but it might be worth a try.

But losing weight could make a significant difference.

16 hours ago, NightSky said:

I was reading your previous thread about angina symptoms, its good to see the diagnosis is nothing as serious Tom, best of luck with everything.

Thanks for your kind thoughts , I’m hoping that other forum members will be able to put my mind at rest .

15 hours ago, uhuh said:

Lose weight if you are overweight. 

I know it is not easy.  

People have gotten rid of sleep apnea after losing 10 or 20% of their bodyweight. 

Before these current symptoms I was attempting to loose weight and exerciser, but some how now I have found out that suffering from Sleep Apnea can have serious side effects and could be life threatening , at 70 years old my enthusiasm for loosing weight and exercising has suddenly hit rock bottom. ☹️

15 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

ResMed machines are #1 globally. I know because I work in the business. Respironics and Fisher & Paykel are second in the business, but personally, I think they will all work good for you. All of them work very well. Good luck.

Thanks , the Brand  ResMed I keep seeing as being highly recommended .

9 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

After about with AF, I had a sleep test.

Although the result wasn't too clear, the doctor recommended a CPAP. I really got the feeling he was just trying to sell me one. 

Fairly recently, I took the results to Phayathai 2 and saw Dr Viratch Tangsujaritvijit for a second opinion. He confirmed a negative result and saw nothing that would contribute to AF.

He did, however, mention that some people do find more restful sleep with aCPAP, and that I could rent one for a couple weeks to try it out. In my case, I couldn't sleep at all with the thing. I tried a "nose only" mask and it would either keep blocking my nose, or would blow open my mouth. If I ever tried again, I would go for  the nose/mouth mask.

It only cost 700 baht for the two weeks, at Ramathibodi Hospital. You will need to get a referral from Dr. Viratch.

https://www.phyathai.com/doctor_detail/40326/นพ.วิรัช_ตั้งสุจริตวิจิตร

Their machines are quite expensive. But it will give you a "feel" for what you might like.

Several things are now running through my mind , which I'm about to post :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Before these current symptoms I was attempting to loose weight and exerciser, but some how now I have found out that suffering from Sleep Apnea can have serious side effects and could be life threatening , at 70 years old my enthusiasm for loosing weight and exercising has suddenly hit rock bottom. ☹️

I've lost 20 kilos in the last six months simply by eating less. No additional exercising required. My sleep apnea has gone away. I'm 74

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

It may be that you do need a CPAP machine, but on the other hand doctors seldom offer recommendations that they believe it is unlikely that the patient will follow.  Losing weight for example, which can help with some cases of sleep apnea.  Also, it's worth trying Breathe Right strips (not the cheap Chinese knockoffs, which are useless) at night.  It's like a small, stiff band-aid that you stick on your nose to hold your nostrils open.  Don't know how likely it is to help you, but it might be worth a try.

But losing weight could make a significant difference.

Thanks for the information and comment :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, tomgreen said:

My dad had sleep apnea for decades. It didnt cause any issues other than maybe the occasional startled wake up in the night although he did have heart conditions. There are things that you can do to manage sleep apnea though and its only a risk factor. 

You can not suffocate since your body will wake you up.

I suggest not Googling anything to do with medical conditions because Dr Google will have you thinking all sorts of untrue things with your anxiety on level 10.

Instead follow your doctors advice and try to relax. Stress is another risk facor that is likely worse than sleep apnea in my personal opinion.

Millions and millions of people have sleep apnea, its only one risk factor for general health. If you lead a healthy lifestyle you can offset certain risk factors. 

best of luck with it Tom.

PS  -by the way if motivation is lacking try a steady brisk 20 minute daily walk for a bit of excersize maybe?

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I've lost 20 kilos in the last six months simply by eating less. No additional exercising required. My sleep apnea has gone away. I'm 74

The loosing weight subject does seem to play some importance and its some thing I'm going to once more think about:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

My dad had sleep apnea for decades. It didnt cause any issues other than maybe the occasional startled wake up in the night although he did have heart conditions. There are things that you can do to manage sleep apnea though and its only a risk factor. 

You can not suffocate since your body will wake you up.

I suggest not Googling anything to do with medical conditions because Dr Google will have you thinking all sorts of untrue things with your anxiety on level 10.

Instead follow your doctors advice and try to relax. Stress is another risk facor that is likely worse than sleep apnea in my personal opinion.

Millions and millions of people have sleep apnea, its only one risk factor for general health. If you lead a healthy lifestyle you can offset certain risk factors. 

best of luck with it Tom.

PS  -by the way if motivation is lacking try a steady brisk 20 minute daily walk for a bit of excersize maybe?

Your suggestion to stop Googling my symptoms is going to be hard to try and do , but deep down I know your exactly right and me sitting in front of my computer hour after hour , searching for answers to my symptoms I'm sure is only adding to my all ready stressful state.  

Ok this is going to sound like I'm rambling on , but I hope you will stick with me and tell me if I'm missing some thing or just getting unnecessary too worked up ☹️

As suggested by the doctor at the first government hospital I visited .

The cause of my symptoms were possibly due to Prinzmetal's heart variant angina (PVA) or known as Coronary Artery Spasm ( CAS ) . That condition was ruled out after undergoing several tests by the private hospital cardiologists doctor.

Another medical condition that my symptoms may be due to was Nocturnal anxiety attacks ? 

And finally the last medical condition that could be causing my symptoms was Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) . After my in hospital sleep test the results were available they seemed to confirm that my symptoms were in fact due to that condition.

Now below are a few things that I’m still a bit fuzzy about ????

When I told the private hospital cardiologists about my anxiety and stress issues , he then prescribed me a small amount of Lorazepam tablets ( 0.5mg ) and told me to take one tablet before bed time . ( Lorazepam is used for the treatment of anxiety and insomnia )

I took one Lorazepam at bed time and experienced no symptoms and was never woken up all night . I did the same over several of the following nights and the results were the same. 

While listening to the private hospitals Pulmonologist doctor explaining the results of my recent over night sleep test results , the doctor ( who spoke reasonable English ) made the comment that during the sleep test period my oxygen levels indicated that generally they were acceptable and not really of concern  ,but the test also indicated that I awoke at numerous times over the sleep test period ( which I did not remember doing ) . 

Then I happened to mention to the Pulmonologist doctor about my ongoing anxiety and stress issues and I then asked the Pulmonologist doctor if having those current symptoms may in any way relate to / effect / contribute to the final results of my recent sleep apnea test .

The Pulmonologist doctor seemed surprised to hear me describe my current anxiety and stress issues . ( which I think they did not know about ) .  It was at this point I also mentioned that when I previously had described my anxiety and stress issues to the cardiologists who had conducted the past treadmill stress test /heart scan etc , that cardiologists then prescribed to me a small amount of the drug …  Lorazepam ( 0.5mg ) .

I then told the Pulmonologist doctor that in fact I had followed the cardiologists suggestion and had taken over several nights 1 tablet of Lorazepam and that after taking those tablets over a period of several nights the end results were all the same ( experienced no symptoms and was never woken up all night ).

The pulmonologist doctor on hearing that I had all ready been prescribed Lorazepam by the cardiologists and my results after taking the drug seemed to lessen / eliminate my sleep apnea symptoms , I think made the pulmonologist doctor started wonder. 

So if my oxygen levels during the sleep test were generally showing a normal state and the brain did not need to send an alarm signal to wake me up because the oxygen was not being restricted ( like sleep apnea symptoms ) ,what was it that kept waking me up ( possible night time anxiety panic attacks ???? ) .

Then the pulmonologist doctor suggested that I carry on taking the Lorazepam drug , but increase the dose to 1 mg before going to bed , just to see how I felt and what would be my symptoms . So I have now followed the pulmonologist doctor advice and last night I took 1 mg of  Lorazepam at bedtime , and again I slept all throught the night , but when I woke up this morning I could feel a mood change in me, I some how felt a bit disoriented , but I certinally felt less stressed out than normal. To night I am planning to take only 0.5mg of Lorazepam before I go to bed .

The pulmonologist doctor did comment that use of a CAPA mask and machine was in their mind still the best option for my symptoms , were the CPAP considered the gold standard in treating sleep apnea.  If I wanted there was a technician on site that could advise me on which CPAP mask and machine would be the best to treat my condition , after hearing that statement I asked if that technician was employed by the hospital , the answer was no the  technician was a Representative from a local CPAP machine seller.

I declined the invitation to see the technician , but on the way out of the  pulmonologist doctors office I did question them about the cost of  CPAP machine in Thailand being very expensive , the pulmonologist doctors answer with a smile was, try and buy the CPAP machine from out side Thailand.

The cost of the seeing 2 cardiologists + the treadmill stress test + the ultra heart scan + drugs in a private hospital came to 16,200.00  Baht 

The cost of the private overnight sleep test came to 7,900.00 Baht ( including a double room and food ) .

Ive just remember some thing that made me smile ???? when the hospital nurse was attaching endless wires and tubes to my body while preparing for the over night sleep test , the nurse said that if I could not sleep while the sleep test was being conducted , she could give me some sleeping sedative drugs . 

So in some way I'm still feeling a little bit confused about a few things and would appreciate any thoughts or advice on the above. 

Tom 

For cheaper cpap machine try secondwindcpap.com 

They have used and new superseded machines much cheaper than Thailand. Mine cost 20k baht new in the box but will be more now due to <deleted> exchange rates

. You will need a doctors prescription before custom's release it and vat was only 1.5k 

5 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Tom. One of my best friends suffered from sleep apnea, and it took his life. So it is definitely something to take quite seriously and address with whatever device that you can make work. He had the exact same symptoms that you describe, and lived for many years using a CPAP. However, he got lazy about using the machine, and it cost him his life. I wish you the very best of luck.

37 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

So in some way I'm still feeling a little bit confused about a few things and would appreciate any thoughts or advice on the above. 

Something like this can be difficult to diagnose. And it will likely take some time to sort it all out. However, I do remember my friend telling me one thing about his sleep apnea that seems to be missing from your description. He stated that every time he woke up in a pool of sweat. That seemed to be one of the symptoms of what was happening, and related to the adrenalin reaction to not getting enough air. If this is sleep apnea, it is serious enough, in my mind, to continue to work with a doctor to nail it down.

Do you smoke and/or drink alcohol?

The treatment of choice for obstructive sleep apnea is continuous positive airway pressure device (CPAP). CPAP is a mask that fits over the nose and/or mouth, and gently blows air into the airway to help keep it open during sleep. OP, when you're using this mask you'll need to know how to keep the machine clean.

There are a few things to look for to ensure your CPAP machine is effective. First, it’s important that the seal over your airways is tight enough to allow for continuous air pressure from your CPAP.

There are several variations of the CPAP mask, including nasal or full face, and they come in many shapes and sizes, so it’s best to try a few and see which style fits your face most comfortably.

Also, look for machines that include a humidifier, as the airflow from the CPAP can dry out your mouth and nose. Some machines now include built-in heaters that warm the moist air first.

If you want to guarantee you’re making the most of your machine, proper care and maintenance is necessary. Using distilled water will prevent any build up from natural minerals found in tap water.

You can clean a CPAP machine in a variety of ways, starting with the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions. You should wash the mask daily or after every use. Headgear can be washed weekly or bi-weekly.

Clean parts by soaking them in a white vinegar solution (use one-part vinegar to three-parts warm water) and then let them air dry.

The CPAP’s humidifier chamber should be washed each day. To clean it, empty the chamber, then gently scrub it with a soft cloth, soap, and warm water.

Alternately, you can use the vinegar solution to soak the chamber, as the acidity is great for removing build up of bacteria. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly after. Clean and replace the filters based on the manufacturer’s instructions.

This method of treatment is highly effective. Using the CPAP as recommended by your doctor is very important.    

Other methods of treating sleep apnea include: dental appliances which reposition the lower jaw and tongue; upper airway surgery to remove tissue in the airway; nasal expiratory positive airway pressure where a disposable valve covers the nostrils; and treatment using hypoglossal nerve stimulation where a stimulator is implanted in the patient’s chest with leads connected to the hypoglossal nerve that controls tongue movement as well as to a breathing sensor.

The sensor monitors breathing patterns during sleep and stimulates the hypoglossal nerve to move the tongue to maintain an open airway.

Lifestyle changes are effective ways of mitigating symptoms of sleep apnea. Here are some tips that may help reduce apnea severity:

• Lose weight. If you are overweight, this is the most important action you can take to cure your sleep apnea (CPAP only treats it; weight loss can cure it in the overweight person).
  • Avoid alcohol; it causes frequent nighttime awakenings, and makes the upper airway breathing muscles relax.
  • Quit smoking. Cigarette smoking worsens swelling in the upper airway, making apnea (and snoring) worse.
  • Some patients with mild sleep apnea or heavy snoring have fewer breathing problems when they are lying on their sides instead of their backs.

Please have a look here: Kind regards. 

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-apnea

And here: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/how-use-cpap-machine-better-sleep

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

Ok this is going to sound like I'm rambling on , but I hope you will stick with me and tell me if I'm missing some thing or just getting unnecessary too worked up ☹️

As suggested by the doctor at the first government hospital I visited .

The cause of my symptoms were possibly due to Prinzmetal's heart variant angina (PVA) or known as Coronary Artery Spasm ( CAS ) . That condition was ruled out after undergoing several tests by the private hospital cardiologists doctor.

Another medical condition that my symptoms may be due to was Nocturnal anxiety attacks ? 

And finally the last medical condition that could be causing my symptoms was Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) . After my in hospital sleep test the results were available they seemed to confirm that my symptoms were in fact due to that condition.

Now below are a few things that I’m still a bit fuzzy about ????

When I told the private hospital cardiologists about my anxiety and stress issues , he then prescribed me a small amount of Lorazepam tablets ( 0.5mg ) and told me to take one tablet before bed time . ( Lorazepam is used for the treatment of anxiety and insomnia )

I took one Lorazepam at bed time and experienced no symptoms and was never woken up all night . I did the same over several of the following nights and the results were the same. 

While listening to the private hospitals Pulmonologist doctor explaining the results of my recent over night sleep test results , the doctor ( who spoke reasonable English ) made the comment that during the sleep test period my oxygen levels indicated that generally they were acceptable and not really of concern  ,but the test also indicated that I awoke at numerous times over the sleep test period ( which I did not remember doing ) . 

Then I happened to mention to the Pulmonologist doctor about my ongoing anxiety and stress issues and I then asked the Pulmonologist doctor if having those current symptoms may in any way relate to / effect / contribute to the final results of my recent sleep apnea test .

The Pulmonologist doctor seemed surprised to hear me describe my current anxiety and stress issues . ( which I think they did not know about ) .  It was at this point I also mentioned that when I previously had described my anxiety and stress issues to the cardiologists who had conducted the past treadmill stress test /heart scan etc , that cardiologists then prescribed to me a small amount of the drug …  Lorazepam ( 0.5mg ) .

I then told the Pulmonologist doctor that in fact I had followed the cardiologists suggestion and had taken over several nights 1 tablet of Lorazepam and that after taking those tablets over a period of several nights the end results were all the same ( experienced no symptoms and was never woken up all night ).

The pulmonologist doctor on hearing that I had all ready been prescribed Lorazepam by the cardiologists and my results after taking the drug seemed to lessen / eliminate my sleep apnea symptoms , I think made the pulmonologist doctor started wonder. 

So if my oxygen levels during the sleep test were generally showing a normal state and the brain did not need to send an alarm signal to wake me up because the oxygen was not being restricted ( like sleep apnea symptoms ) ,what was it that kept waking me up ( possible night time anxiety panic attacks ???? ) .

Then the pulmonologist doctor suggested that I carry on taking the Lorazepam drug , but increase the dose to 1 mg before going to bed , just to see how I felt and what would be my symptoms . So I have now followed the pulmonologist doctor advice and last night I took 1 mg of  Lorazepam at bedtime , and again I slept all throught the night , but when I woke up this morning I could feel a mood change in me, I some how felt a bit disoriented , but I certinally felt less stressed out than normal. To night I am planning to take only 0.5mg of Lorazepam before I go to bed .

The pulmonologist doctor did comment that use of a CAPA mask and machine was in their mind still the best option for my symptoms , were the CPAP considered the gold standard in treating sleep apnea.  If I wanted there was a technician on site that could advise me on which CPAP mask and machine would be the best to treat my condition , after hearing that statement I asked if that technician was employed by the hospital , the answer was no the  technician was a Representative from a local CPAP machine seller.

I declined the invitation to see the technician , but on the way out of the  pulmonologist doctors office I did question them about the cost of  CPAP machine in Thailand being very expensive , the pulmonologist doctors answer with a smile was, try and buy the CPAP machine from out side Thailand.

The cost of the seeing 2 cardiologists + the treadmill stress test + the ultra heart scan + drugs in a private hospital came to 16,200.00  Baht 

The cost of the private overnight sleep test came to 7,900.00 Baht ( including a double room and food ) .

Ive just remember some thing that made me smile ???? when the hospital nurse was attaching endless wires and tubes to my body while preparing for the over night sleep test , the nurse said that if I could not sleep while the sleep test was being conducted , she could give me some sleeping sedative drugs . 

Tom 

You must be very careful with Lorazepam, or any other similar tranquilizers.

The one doctor telling you to take 1 mg must have been an idiot, as your body will sooner or later be so dependent on Lorazepam, or anything else they'll describe you that you can't just stop taking them. 

Most hospitals prescribe this drug under the name "Ativan", with the same ingredients. Unfortunately, are the side effects of Lorazepam very strange and should in your case not necessarily being prescribed.

It might help you for a few days/weeks to sleep through, but one of its side effects is Insomnia ( Sleep problems) 

Common side effects of Lorazepam/ Ativan include:
  • Drowsiness.
  • Dizziness.
  • Tiredness.
  • Muscle weakness.
  • Headache.
  • Blurred vision.
  • Sleep problems (insomnia)
  • Loss of balance or coordination.

With other words, this medication wouldn't be the best for you and it's almost impossible to stop after you've taken it for too long.

If I were you, I'd try not to get hooked up on them. You can take a sleep aid if you have obstructive sleep apnea, but it's not usually recommended. ... Because it is impossible to predict who will respond badly to these drugs they are not recommended for patients with untreated OSA.

I see it this way. When trying to differentiate between Western educated doctors and Asian doctors who didn't study abroad.

The right hand of a Western doctor often doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But the Asian doctor's right hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. 

It wasn't that expensive, if I were you, I'd try to find out if other specialists come to the same results. No idea who the best ones here are, but that's where I'd go to if i could spend that much money. 

Better double checked than........well you understand my point./

22 hours ago, uhuh said:

Lose weight if you are overweight. 

I know it is not easy.  

People have gotten rid of sleep apnea after losing 10 or 20% of their bodyweight. 

You're so right. CPAP helps an overweight patient, but losing enough weight can/will cure it. 

Sometimes simple things are best.

1:  If overweight, there can be a lot of fat and narrowed passages.  Seriously look at losing fat weight.

2:  I have found that sleeping in an reclining chair that keeps my chest and head up helps a lot.  In fact, I almost prefer it.  Presumably this position allows the little bits of fluid to drain downward and not contribute to blocking air passages.

3:  As a kid and growing up I always preferred sleeping on my back, arms to my side, as if I was going into long term suspended animation.  Never liked sleeping on my side.  However as I have aged (now 62) and have a little pot belly and no doubt weigh more than I should, sleeping on my back doesn't seem to work very well.  Obviously the body mass around my stomach is pressing on my innerds and that can't be helping.  So I now pretty much sleep on my side, even though I don't believe that is good for overall circulation, but it seems to keep me from waking up

Many thanks to all who found the time to comment and offer advice on my sleep apnea . That is much appreciated .

So this is today's update :wai:

So last night for the second time in a row I took 1 mg of Lorazepam before going to bed and slept continually all through the night until to day where I awoke at 5.30 am. On waking up the feeling of having an unbroken good nights sleep felt absolutely wonderful ???? .  The general feeling I am now experiencing to day is one of over all calmness and relaxation but all my physical actions and movements seem to feel like they are being carried out in slow motion. 

Its a strange new feeling for me  ????, when I earlier walked around our local out doors market this morning it felt like I was in a wonderful happy dream , smiling and not a care in the world ( which is not normally the way I feel ) but as time went on that euphoric feeling slowly changed to a feeling of being slightly un well . So I returned back home and generally zonked out and I then slept for several hours. 

As suggested by another forum member Ive tried to not Google my symptoms , as I’m sure the vast range of results would only add to my all ready mounting stress level. 

I’m now going through all the suggestions and advice that other posters here have kindly offered and trying to get to the bottom of my symptoms and what course of action I should eventually take .

I am a non smoker and not really that overweight and have no other medical conditions ( apart from stress / anxiety )  I exercise on my home treadmill most days,  and until I was diagnosed with this sleep apnea , I liked the odd bottle of red wine ( which I now really miss ???? ) .

My symptoms which originally commenced on the 23rd of last month have over time slowly changed to these current symptoms .....

The current feelings I experience once I have woken up range from having light heart palpitations / I feel the need to breath in more air / a funny feeling that what I’m experiencing is really a dream / and always a strong thought going through my mind that I’m about to die. These feelings generally continue for around 30 – 60 seconds and then slowly fade away . I normally then get out of bed and have a drink of water and then go back to sleep . My symptoms when being woken up do not include any sweating / headaches / difficulty returning back to sleep / and I do not snore while sleeping . One other intermittent symptom I some times experience when being woken up is a feeling that I have some thing stuck in my throat ( a small lump ) 

So tonight ive decided not to take any Lorazepam before going to bed and I will post tomorrow how things work out .

Again , thanks to every one :wai:

Tom

Archived