BANGKOK
tomgreen

I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea – Looking for general advice and suggestions about buying a CPAP mask

Following on from my original past topic ( Angina – Any one have or had my symptoms ) I have now finally discovered what my symptoms are due to. 

Well after suffering a range of symptoms after I went to sleep at night time with regularly being awoken with a feeling that I could not breathe properly / a sensation like some one was sitting on my chest / the sensation of light tingling down the left hand side of my arm and leg but no where else on my body,  I took Sheryl's advice and went to see a cardiologist at a local private hospital.

The cardiologist recommended carrying out several tests including a treadmill stress test and an ultra scan of the heart ( before the treadmill stress test and after ) . The tests were then carried out later that day by a second different cardiologist . The results from those tests showed no issues or heart problems other than some slight thickening of the hearts left ventricle wall due to my age ( 70 ).

I explained to the second cardiologist that I have had an anxiety and ongoing stress issues over the past few years and I wondered if those anxiety and ongoing stress situation may have some thing to do with my current after going to sleep symptoms. 

The second cardiologist agreed that my anxiety and ongoing stress issues could have some thing to do with my current night time symptoms , but first they wanted to rule out the possibility that Sleep Apnea could be the cause of my night time symptoms.  So an appointment was made for me to undergo an over night sleep test at the same private hospital.  

I have just received the results of that over night sleep test and the hospitals Pulmonologist confirmed that indeed I am suffering from Sleep Apnea and they recommended that I now obtain and start to use a CPAP mask .

So I would be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions or experiences about purchasing / using a CPAP mask and if you too have had experience of Sleep Apnea

Tom

You make no mention of a CPAP machine ?

• Thanks 1

Following on from my original past topic ( Angina – Any one have or had my symptoms ) I have now finally discovered what my symptoms are due to. 

Well after suffering a range of symptoms after I went to sleep at night time with regularly being awoken with a feeling that I could not breathe properly / a sensation like some one was sitting on my chest / the sensation of light tingling down the left hand side of my arm and leg but no where else on my body,  I took Sheryl's advice and went to see a cardiologist at a local private hospital.
The cardiologist recommended carrying out several tests including a treadmill stress test and an ultra scan of the heart ( before the treadmill stress test and after ) . The tests were then carried out later that day by a second different cardiologist . The results from those tests showed no issues or heart problems other than some slight thickening of the hearts left ventricle wall due to my age ( 70 ).

I explained to the second cardiologist that I have had an anxiety and ongoing stress issues over the past few years and I wondered if those anxiety and ongoing stress situation may have some thing to do with my current after going to sleep symptoms. 

The second cardiologist agreed that my anxiety and ongoing stress issues could have some thing to do with my current night time symptoms , but first they wanted to rule out the possibility that Sleep Apnea could be the cause of my night time symptoms.  So an appointment was made for me to undergo an over night sleep test at the same private hospital.  

I have just received the results of that over night sleep test and the hospitals Pulmonologist confirmed that indeed I am suffering from Sleep Apnea and they recommended that I now obtain and start to use a CPAP mask .

So I would be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions or experiences about purchasing / using a CPAP mask and if you too have had experience of Sleep Apnea

Tom

Hi I m Keith american I have sleep apnea. From the states and brought my clap machine with me. My usa insurance paired for it. It cost about 1000dollars. With mask and water holder. Many normally is replaced each day months. I really never got used to it. I would get sensation of drowning when I used it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

I was reading your previous thread about angina symptoms, its good to see the diagnosis is nothing as serious Tom, best of luck with everything.

• Thanks 1

ResMed machines are #1 globally. I know because I work in the business. Respironics and Fisher & Paykel are second in the business, but personally, I think they will all work good for you. All of them work very well. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

After about with AF, I had a sleep test.

Although the result wasn't too clear, the doctor recommended a CPAP. I really got the feeling he was just trying to sell me one. 

Fairly recently, I took the results to Phayathai 2 and saw Dr Viratch Tangsujaritvijit for a second opinion. He confirmed a negative result and saw nothing that would contribute to AF.

He did, however, mention that some people do find more restful sleep with aCPAP, and that I could rent one for a couple weeks to try it out. In my case, I couldn't sleep at all with the thing. I tried a "nose only" mask and it would either keep blocking my nose, or would blow open my mouth. If I ever tried again, I would go for  the nose/mouth mask.

It only cost 700 baht for the two weeks, at Ramathibodi Hospital. You will need to get a referral from Dr. Viratch.

https://www.phyathai.com/doctor_detail/40326/นพ.วิรัช_ตั้งสุจริตวิจิตร

Their machines are quite expensive. But it will give you a "feel" for what you might like.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Thanks 1

It may be that you do need a CPAP machine, but on the other hand doctors seldom offer recommendations that they believe it is unlikely that the patient will follow.  Losing weight for example, which can help with some cases of sleep apnea.  Also, it's worth trying Breathe Right strips (not the cheap Chinese knockoffs, which are useless) at night.  It's like a small, stiff band-aid that you stick on your nose to hold your nostrils open.  Don't know how likely it is to help you, but it might be worth a try.

But losing weight could make a significant difference.

• Thanks 1

Losing weight, if one loses enough, will indeed usually help with sleep apnea but takes time and is much easier said than done.

The suggestion of renting CPAP first before buying is good as they are expensive and not everyone can adjust to thrm.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, madmen said:

You make no mention of a CPAP machine ?

Yes sorry my mistake , I should have said a CPAP mask and machine .

16 hours ago, NightSky said:

I was reading your previous thread about angina symptoms, its good to see the diagnosis is nothing as serious Tom, best of luck with everything.

Thanks for your kind thoughts , I’m hoping that other forum members will be able to put my mind at rest .

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, uhuh said:

Lose weight if you are overweight. 

I know it is not easy.  

People have gotten rid of sleep apnea after losing 10 or 20% of their bodyweight. 

Before these current symptoms I was attempting to loose weight and exerciser, but some how now I have found out that suffering from Sleep Apnea can have serious side effects and could be life threatening , at 70 years old my enthusiasm for loosing weight and exercising has suddenly hit rock bottom. ☹️

15 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

ResMed machines are #1 globally. I know because I work in the business. Respironics and Fisher & Paykel are second in the business, but personally, I think they will all work good for you. All of them work very well. Good luck.

Thanks , the Brand  ResMed I keep seeing as being highly recommended .

9 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

After about with AF, I had a sleep test.

Although the result wasn't too clear, the doctor recommended a CPAP. I really got the feeling he was just trying to sell me one. 

Fairly recently, I took the results to Phayathai 2 and saw Dr Viratch Tangsujaritvijit for a second opinion. He confirmed a negative result and saw nothing that would contribute to AF.

He did, however, mention that some people do find more restful sleep with aCPAP, and that I could rent one for a couple weeks to try it out. In my case, I couldn't sleep at all with the thing. I tried a "nose only" mask and it would either keep blocking my nose, or would blow open my mouth. If I ever tried again, I would go for  the nose/mouth mask.

It only cost 700 baht for the two weeks, at Ramathibodi Hospital. You will need to get a referral from Dr. Viratch.

https://www.phyathai.com/doctor_detail/40326/นพ.วิรัช_ตั้งสุจริตวิจิตร

Their machines are quite expensive. But it will give you a "feel" for what you might like.

Several things are now running through my mind , which I'm about to post :thumbsup: