Lost passport with overstay

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Pretty sure a police report will be needed, it is for almost anything else that is lost / stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Before the British Embassy became a pile of rubble you needed a police report and confirmed details of your travell plans ie flight booked and paid. The journey booked is typed in the ETD and once you complete that journey you will need another ETD for any further journeys if your replacement passport hasn't arrived.

If you use the ETD to fly to UK, your home country, Immigration will keep it when you land and you apply for a new PP in UK.

I had one for a 3 day trip out of Thailand as my replacement PP hadn't arrived and I had a meeting to attend.

You also, if not flying to UK, need to verify your destination country accepts ETD's. Not all countries do.

Photo copies of your passport if you have them help to speed things up.

Thinking that losing your PP and getting an ETD will get around paying for overstay won't work either. It just delays you a couple of days more and you still pay ????????

Thai Imm' has these amazing inventions called computers.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 3:33 AM, Salerno said:

Get to your Embassy asap, get an emergency passport (cross your fingers you don't need a police report to get one), if successful get to airport and get out of dodge after paying the overstay fine at the airport.

Why cross his fingers?  Getting a Police report is not difficult (at least not in Bangkok).   I've done it twice, once for a stolen passport and once for a lost ATM card.  Both times I went to Thong Lor Police station and both times there were actual UK Police there working with the Thai Police.  It was actually a very pleasant experience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Why cross his fingers?  Getting a Police report is not difficult (at least not in Bangkok).   I've done it twice, once for a stolen passport and once for a lost ATM card.  Both times I went to Thong Lor Police station and both times there were actual UK Police there working with the Thai Police.  It was actually a very pleasant experience. 

But, in the case of the stolen passport at least, were the Thong Lor cops willing to provide a report in English or only in Thai?

Seems like you don't want to take our advice to you in your previous post. Immigration will not extend a visa with that long an overstay. The easiest thing to do is go to the airport and pay the fine ( 500 baht per day ) and leave.  If he is caught before getting to the airport he will face fine, deportation and be barred from returning to Thailand for 5 years. Stop making things difficult pay overstay leave and then he can return with either TV or visa exempt depending on his previos record. Can return by land border visa exempt no problem  if he has not done 2 this calendar year.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, G950 said:

Please note: If you falsely claimed you have lost a passport it is a big deal. Criminal offence in most countries. Do not do it!

And keep in mind, cops in any county can easily see that your story is not logical or see that the point you made in the first sentence actually clashes with the last sentence. And if they suspect something like this they know well how to construct another question to catch your inconsistency. Beware. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Cross fingers because he is on overstay , and if you get caught while on overstay you have a big problem . So going to the police getting a report for lost passport will show that you are on overstay making getting caught by the police very easy . Its like robbing  a bank and going to the police telling them you robbed it . How big do YOU think the chance is they will let you walk ? Therefore crossing the fingers .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Cross fingers because he is on overstay , and if you get caught while on overstay you have a big problem . So going to the police getting a report for lost passport will show that you are on overstay making getting caught by the police very easy . Its like robbing  a bank and going to the police telling them you robbed it . How big do YOU think the chance is they will let you walk ? Therefore crossing the fingers .

How would the police know that a random tourist who walked into their station

to make a report about a lost passport know that he/she was overstaying?

I guess they might check the immigration status with the relevant branch of the police,

but I would behave thought that they would just issue the report, I could be wrong, of course.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, seancbk said:

Were you on a 23 day overstay at the time? I'd be avoiding all contact with any police if at all possible.

• Confused 1

• 4 years later...
27 minutes ago, Xahui said:

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. What should I do now or how I can reach to Embassy in Bangkok?

Google your embassy contact details and ask what they need for a new (emergency passport) OR find your passport.

Buy a ticket to leave the country and have 20000 thb ready to pay for your overstay.

You will be banned from Thailand for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tanoshi said:

Different person or the same one who's conveniently lost his Passport now.

You need to find a different bar to hang out at.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Edit, I just noticed this is a 4 year old thread, 555.

Edited by bbko
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:44 AM, Xahui said:

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. What should I do now or how I can reach to Embassy in Bangkok?

and you're just NOW asking about this?
You can get an emergency travel document that lets you go back to where ever it is you come from, when you stamp out of thailand at the airport you will be banned for 3 years.

How about you make your OWN post asking your questions rather than resurrecting an ancient post that has nothing to do with your specific situation? 

5 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

You can get an emergency travel document that lets you go back to where ever it is you come from

Certainly the British consular section does not say that you have to travel back your home country or "where you come from"

"our emergency travel document will usually be ready to collect 2 working days after you apply. Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans, you'll need to apply for a new emergency travel document and pay £100 again."

The USA does not even mention where you are visiting

"Please note: An emergency passport has only 5 pages, 1-year validity, and is issued under special circumstances.  The validity cannot be extended and pages cannot be added."

I would think that most consular sections are the same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xahui said:

ThnQ for letting me know. So, I can visit local police station although I have overstay right?

I would be lying if I said that attending the police station to report your passport lost will be stress free. However, the officers will not be focussed on your immigration status. Be well groomed and polite. It is 99.9% sure that they will just process the police report and give you a copy. Anyway, there is no choice. You will need the report.

• Like 2