Lost passport with overstay

I understand your message clearly & I appreciate your help once again. I also wanted to inform you that I've received news from someone who recently arrived safely in their country. However, they faced a situation where they overstayed by 10/11 days despite having their passport. When they inquired at Maesot's Airport ticket counter about my situation, they were informed that "even if someone doesn't have their passport, they can still travel by air from Maesot to Bangkok. In this case, they need to provide a document such as a passport image or photocopy. Regarding the overstay, the person was told they could go to Maesot immigration office, pay a fine of 20k baht, and if they pay an extra 1,900 baht, they will be issued a permit to stay in Thailand for a week, along with a travel pass." Can you confirm if this info is correct?

On 8/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, Salerno said:

Get to your Embassy asap, get an emergency passport (cross your fingers you don't need a police report to get one), if successful get to airport and get out of dodge after paying the overstay fine at the airport.

Edited by Captain Monday

On a related topic, which countries around Thailand will admit someone with an ETD, and can you use an ETD to re-enter Thailand if your overstay is short enough that there's no timewise ban?

I guess the equivalent question would be "can you use an ETD to make a visa run and come back to Thailand?"  If so, which nearby countries would be friendly and which won't allow it?

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. I've received news from someone who recently arrived safely in their country. However, they faced a situation where they overstayed by 10/11 days despite having their passport. When they inquired at Maesot's Airport ticket counter about my situation, they were informed that "even if someone doesn't have their passport, they can still travel by air from Maesot to Bangkok. In this case, they need to provide a document such as a passport image or photocopy. Regarding the overstay, the person was told they could go to Maesot immigration office, pay a fine of 20k baht, and if they pay an extra 1,900 baht, they will be issued a permit to stay in Thailand for a week, along with a travel pass." If this info is correct?

On 10/5/2023 at 3:25 AM, Xahui said:

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. I've received news from someone who recently arrived safely in their country. However, they faced a situation where they overstayed by 10/11 days despite having their passport. When they inquired at Maesot's Airport ticket counter about my situation, they were informed that "even if someone doesn't have their passport, they can still travel by air from Maesot to Bangkok. In this case, they need to provide a document such as a passport image or photocopy. Regarding the overstay, the person was told they could go to Maesot immigration office, pay a fine of 20k baht, and if they pay an extra 1,900 baht, they will be issued a permit to stay in Thailand for a week, along with a travel pass." If this info is correct?

First, do not think of visiting the Immigration office in Maesot with an overstay of over a year. You have a good chance of ending up in the Immigration Detention Centre.

With an overstay of less than a week, it is likely they would allow you to pay the fine and give you seven days to leave the country. It would still not be 100% risk free.

It is true that you can travel on a domestic flight without your passport if you can provide another form of identity that the airline will accept. Some airlines would likely accept a high quality copy of your passport data page.

As already stated, your plan of action (assuming you are not willing to pay a large sum of money to a "fixer") is

1. Get a police report concerning your lost passport.
  2. Travel to your embassy in Bangkok with the intention of getting an emergency travel document. Normally, without a passport, you would do this by bus. However, if you have a proof of identity acceptable to the airline, by all means do it by air.
  3. Once you have an emergency travel document issued by your embassy, leave Thailand by air. You will be fined 20,000 baht and blacklisted from returning to Thailand for, probably, three years. Most often your flight will be to your home country. However, depending on your embassy and the immigration policy of another country, you might be able to use an emergency travel document to go elsewhere. If intending to remain outside your home country, you must also immediately apply for a replacement standard passport.
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 8:44 AM, Xahui said:

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. What should I do now or how I can reach to Embassy in Bangkok?

Are you taking the piss? A month ago you posted you were in Mae Sot on 1 year overstay with lost passport. Despite advice given one month later you're still in Mae Sot with a lost passport (so 13 months overstay now, not 1 year)

On 10/5/2023 at 3:25 AM, Xahui said:

I'm in Mae sot now overstaying 1 year and lost passport. 

Edited by Pattaya57

• 4 weeks later...

ThnQ for the better suggestion. I'll apply your guideline as per you said. 
I found another guy from a different country and he has embassy here in Bangkok but he also lost his passport and overstay more than a year like 1.5 years. What will he do? The process is same as like mine or something different? Please let me know

9 minutes ago, Xahui said:

ThnQ for the better suggestion. I'll apply your guideline as per you said. 
I found another guy from a different country and he has embassy here in Bangkok but he also lost his passport and overstay more than a year like 1.5 years. What will he do? The process is same as like mine or something different? Please let me know

For some strange reason, you don't seem to be in any hurry to resolve your situation.

Now about that other guy, it doesn't matter if it's 1 year or 1.5 years, the advice would be the same. 

• Like 1