THAI boss upbeat on reviving

webfact

I find it hard to understand why they are under utilising their fleet so heavily. Take a look at any low cost operator in the world and a/c utilising is a lot higher. The Southwest model is only over 35 years old.

I have to agree on the number of THAI a/c one always sees parked up at BKK. 

One big question is how has Bangkok Airways lasted for over 50 years and grown. It couldn't possibly be down to good planning and management.

There’s a balance in that respect. You can’t just outright just add flights - thus adding capacity - as that *tends* to drive down fares.

That’s what US carriers have tended to do- they don’t reign in capacity growth and end up hurting themselves in the RASM (revenue per available seat mile)

I think any capacity increase from Smile will have to be planned conjunction with either TG mainline or other codeshare carriers as either O(rigin) or D(estination) feeder volume.

Smile *does* have a quasi-business cabin, which is essentially what tends to be common on intra-Euro business class with a standard Y cabin seat in a 3-3 config, but with the middle seat blocked out. Not traditional C-cabin by along shot, but given Smiles typical stage length for domestic is probably in the 60-75 minute range and their intra-Asia stage length probably in the mid- 2hour range, I think it’s pretty competitive against what you’d find in C-class intro-Euro on similar stage lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just landed at U-Tapao airport yesterday afternoon coming in from the North. To the left of the runway, behind a boulder, there is an entire fleet of TG aircraft (A340? DC10-10? Etc.) idly parked there for YEARS. 
Selling off those old planes, overdue for - as said - for YEARS would bring in some urgently needed cash. Forget the book value, these planes are worth scrap meanwhile but get rid of them even if you have to sell them as Aluminium to be recycled. The engines though, the most valuable asset on a plane, have all been removed. Maybe some external survey would shed some light into that shady corner of Thai aviation. 

Archived