TVF "reactions" at the bottom of a post

sirineou

Someone posted a "Confused" reaction to my  reply.  I don't like these TVF reactions, they mean litle. A "Like" and perhaps a "don't like I can understand . But a " "confused" or a "Sad" what are you confused about? Why are you sad?

We are here about to have a conversation about a particular subject. I can understand a "reaction" that expresses Opinion so that a member don't have to go through the trouble of typing it, but a confused "reaction" is not an opinion it is a condition, and there is litle anyone else can do for such condition unless the confused engages confugee.

Rather than enhance the conversation and this forum IMO they limit it.

Anyway sorry you are confused, There are medical and nutritional remedies that might help alleviate that condition.:tongue:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, there are a small group of posters who use reaction emoticons to troll other posters. I believe that the mods take a dim view of posters using confused and sad emoticons in this way, so now they use smiley emoticons in the same way.

As to be expected, they occur primarily in the Brexit and Trump threads. Very childish and says much more about the person carrying out these childish acts than it does about your posts.

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

To me confused means the post is nonsensical or indecipherable, sad means the post is just plain stupid.

Either way, it is the end of a conversation not the beginning and IMO it diminishes this forum. If it is stupid  why not simply say "hey this is stupid" and  then go on to show why in your opinion it is stupid.

This IMO is what forums are all about, and these reactions which I confess I am also guilty of using on occasions , is contributing the dumbing down, and decline of this forum. 

I remember we used to have lively ,  humorous , conversations , with subjects like "why aren't there goats in Thailand" or "how to cool a house with a swamp cooler".  Conversations that I might add were never fully resolved. Now we just argue about tramp , Brexit, and post confused and sad "reactions"

By the way  below is screen shot of the post that got a confused "reaction". I am willing to entertain the idea that it is stupid and confusing , but I am not sure how.

image.png.ca067c47d92f39732745a94b3c917dd0.png

Anyway I expressed my opinion concerning sad. and confused  'Reactions" But if we are to have them, How about we ad a new one a "Sad and Confused" reaction. it could look something like this :shock1:

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Very childish and says much more about the person carrying out these childish acts than it does about your posts.

Could be a generational thing ... or it could just be people voicing an opinion but not wishing to to waste time getting into a debate or tell the person they are reacting to what they really think as it's a waste of pixels and could lead to sanctions.

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Unfortunately, there are a small group of posters who use reaction emoticons to troll other posters. I believe that the mods take a dim view of posters using confused and sad emoticons in this way, so now they use smiley emoticons in the same way.

As to be expected, they occur primarily in the Brexit and Trump threads. Very childish and says much more about the person carrying out these childish acts than it does about your posts.

Well I avoid those threads these days. Life's too short.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Could be a generational thing ... or it could just be people voicing an opinion but not wishing to to waste time getting into a debate or tell the person they are reacting to what they really think as it's a waste of pixels and could lead to sanctions.

Not a generational thing, some of the most senior posters on the forum. It's just trolling, pure and simple. Would youuse a smiley face for the purpose you suggested? Usually used when they disagree with your post but haven't the wherewithall to construct a reasoned reply.

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Funny you would say that about the trump and Brexit  threads. in the post below yours I also said,

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Now we just argue about tramp , Brexit, and post confused and sad "reactions"

I guess "brilliant minds think alike" why we do i would never know LOL

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If it is stupid  why not simply say "hey this is stupid" and  then go on to show why in your opinion it is stupid.

I use it because the post is by someone who is clearly incapable of mounting a rational argument, let alone understanding an argued response

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Would you use a smiley face for that purpose?

Problem is the Smiley's (other than the like and trophy) are kind of nebulous. Like the laughing on could be laughing at a funny post or laughing at an idiot post or poster. The sad one could be the situation recited is sad, the posters post is a sad example or the poster is a sad sack. And so on.

Only jet lag would have me up all night posting about emojis. Note to self: self, when you arrive in Thailand all jet lagged out after 21 hours in the air don't immediately hurl yourself into the filthy, perverted, deranged cesspool of lower suk till all hours of the day and night like a hideous priapic satyr, and at your age, you shouldn't be at mixx till 4:30 a.m. two nights in a row.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Problem is the Smiley's (other than the like and trophy) are kind of nebulous. Like the laughing on could be laughing at a funny post or laughing at an idiot post or poster. The sad one could be the situation recited is sad, the posters post is a sad example or the poster is a sad sack. And so on.

Only jet lag would have me up all night posting about emojis. Note to self: self, when you arrive in Thailand all jet lagged out after 21 hours in the air don't immediately hurl yourself into the filthy, perverted, deranged cesspool of lower suk till all hours of the day and night like a hideous priapic satyr, and at your age, you shouldn't be at mixx till 4:30 a.m. two nights in a row.

Glad I could provide some entertainment, especially while the Mods are sleeping LOL

Most of as traveling back and forth to Thailand appreciate what you are going through. You deserve a  Sad "reaction". To keep this reply on topic. LOL

To be 21hrs in the air you must be traveling from the US, I live in Florida where the family is, but work in NY . Just drove 16 hrs straight last night to get back to NY. We usually fly from NY (much easier to find uncomplicated flights) but when I retire in a few months, we will fly from either Orlando or Jacksonville which is a two connections flight and usually over 24 hrs. 

Hung in there.

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Glad I could provide some entertainment, especially while the Mods are sleeping LOL

Most of as traveling back and forth to Thailand appreciate what you are going through. You deserve a  Sad "reaction". To keep this reply on topic. LOL

To be 21hrs in the air you must be traveling from the US, I live in Florida where the family is, but work in NY . Just drove 16 hrs straight last night to get back to NY. We usually fly from NY (much easier to find uncomplicated flights) but when I retire in a few months, we will fly from either Orlando or Jacksonville which is a two connections flight and usually over 24 hrs. 

Hung in there.

Yeah dude you will probably go out of Atlanta. It's the shortest first leg connection. I use Korea air as I find the seaoul airport far more efficient for transfer than Taipei. Emoji that one

32 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's not like you "Big S" to get so hot under the collar though I do agree that the "sad" and "confused" emojis do seem to get a rigourous workout on the political topics.

Did you mean Big Ass?  LOL

Not hot under the collar, simply sad to see this forum decline to this point, and IMO these 'reactions" are contributing, but perhaps there are other dynamics out of everyone's control that contribute more to the decline..  

You have being around for a few years and I am sure you must have noticed a decline in the quality of the discourse. I have being here a litle longer and I notice many of the posters I used to have fun with not bothering to engage anymore. Some have got older, but others I see have retreated to  sub forums such  as the Gardening subforum. but no longer in general discussion,I guess I am slowly joining their ranks also . 

Anyway , I have always enjoyed you contributions in this forum. There are still a few avatars that when ever I see them  I make sure to click on, knowing that even if I disagree with the opinion, at the very least my assumptions will be challenged.   

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Did you mean Big Ass?  LOL

Not hot under the collar, simply sad to see this forum decline to this point, and IMO these 'reactions" are contributing, but perhaps there are other dynamics out of everyone's control that contribute more to the decline..  

You have being around for a few years and I am sure you must have noticed a decline in the quality of the discourse. I have being here a litle longer and I notice many of the posters I used to have fun with not bothering to engage anymore. Some have got older, but others I see have retreated to  sub forums such  as the Gardening subforum. but no longer in general discussion,I guess I am slowly joining their ranks also . 

Anyway , I have always enjoyed you contributions in this forum. There are still a few avatars that when ever I see them  I make sure to click on, knowing that even if I disagree with the opinion, at the very least my assumptions will be challenged.   

Nope....I was not actually having a go at you because I have always enjoyed your posts.

I too look for some of the older posters for some banter and a bit of a laugh.There does seem to be a lot of turnover with posters in the last few years

I guess social media is getting more binary (black/white) everyday.The sense of "outrage" appears to be off the scale.However the most vicious forum I ever participated in was-wait for it-a CLASSICAL MUSIC forum ????.

The amount of foul deeds and skulduggery performed in the names of Bach,Beethoven,Bruckner and Brahms was way off the Richter scale!

I take the sad emoji and the confused emoji to mean: I don't like what you say, but I don't have a good argument so I am just going to stick out my tongue and put my fingers in my ears.

I do use the heart emoji but it doesn't mean I love you (even if I do). It means I agree or well said. The trophy one is like a double heart emoji I guess.

I would prefer to see different choices such as, the word 'like' or a thumbs up, something that intonates ' What the fudge', One that says dislike, and one that says 'that is funny (haha not weird funny). 

It would also be interesting to see stats on the breakdown of the different response received. Currently the reputation score is hard to quantify. Do you not get a plus for making folks laugh?

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I take the sad emoji and the confused emoji to mean: I don't like what you say, but I don't have a good argument so I am just going to stick out my tongue and put my fingers in my ears.

I do use the heart emoji but it doesn't mean I love you (even if I do). It means I agree or well said. The trophy one is like a double heart emoji I guess.

I would prefer to see different choices such as, the word 'like' or a thumbs up, something that intonates ' What the fudge', One that says dislike, and one that says 'that is funny (haha not weird funny). 

It would also be interesting to see stats on the breakdown of the different response received. Currently the reputation score is hard to quantify. Do you not get a plus for making folks laugh?

You always in good humor and make me laugh old friend, IMO humor is the only true measure of intelligence.  I guess there is a good reason why you have 15,542 posts and 24,960 likes, this achievement is multiplied when one considers that most of your posts were made back then where likes were not available to be awarded. 

If it wasn't for that tiny hat of yours restricting the blood flow to your brain and causing you to disagree with some of my obviously well thought and extremely intelligent posts i would say you are always spot on. 

i think the "like" graphic should be a thumbs up, not a heart. a heart implies something else.

sometimes people react "sad" to a comment and it is directed towards the subject matter, like a horrible car crash, not the TV member's comment. that causes misunderstanding and possible regional warfare. 

i have one member here who reacts sad to everything i comment on, no matter how funny it is. i will have 87 "Hahas" and one sad. I will think: "Oh there he is, right on time." 

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i think the "like" graphic should be a thumbs up, not a heart. a heart implies something else.

sometimes people react "sad" to a comment and it is directed towards the subject matter, like a horrible car crash, not the TV member's comment. that causes misunderstanding and possible regional warfare. 

i have one member here who reacts sad to everything i comment on, no matter how funny it is. i will have 87 "Hahas" and one sad. I will think: "Oh there he is, right on time." 

I guess an introvert wall flower ,sitting in the corner rather than dancing ,  sadly (pun intended)thinking that that is contributing.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am confused and sad that you think this is important enough to start a new thread about this.If you don't understand or don't want to understand the reactions then just ignore them. Problem solved.

depressed-emoticon-sad-hands-face-560949

I think I explained why I think it is important in my Op and subsequent replies so please don't attribute your sadness and confusion to me. 

one day i was making coffee in the morning and i was really angry. i am thinking "who am i angry at, there is no one here except my cats." Then I realized I had just read someone dare question my genius here on TV. Can you imagine?   

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Now you have 2. How was Pattaya? Get your shots after?

59 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nope....I was not actually having a go at you because I have always enjoyed your posts.

I too look for some of the older posters for some banter and a bit of a laugh.There does seem to be a lot of turnover with posters in the last few years

I guess social media is getting more binary (black/white) everyday.The sense of "outrage" appears to be off the scale.However the most vicious forum I ever participated in was-wait for it-a CLASSICAL MUSIC forum ????.

The amount of foul deeds and skulduggery performed in the names of Bach,Beethoven,Bruckner and Brahms was way off the Richter scale!

Try a Photography forum. We are talking some serious posturing and lack of humour. My lens is better than yours douchebag type stuff.

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i got away clean this time. :clap2:

Then you weren't doing it properly. You do realise that, in Pattaya, condoms are the preserve of LDOPs.

Every year I get a free supply of condoms when visiting the UK. I give them out to the girls in lieu of a tip. They use them with visiting LDOPs.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Does it really matter ?

What ? that NCC1701A got away clean , without the need for antibiotics from Pattaya? 

I am sure it matters to NCC1701A, why do you think he wears the dark sunglasses?

Archived