UK PM Johnson says 39 billion pound divorce bill not due in no-deal Brexit

webfact

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I don't agree with your agreement.

That is your prerogative, the government position has been laid out.

"The UK Government recognises that it would have outstanding financial commitments to the EU if it were to leave without a deal and not honouring these could see the UK being regarded as an unreliable partner. Ministers have suggested that an alternative settlement would have to be negotiated, which might not necessarily follow the precise terms set out in the financial settlement."

CBP-8039.pdf, BRIEFING PAPER Number 8039, 19 July 2019

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that do not want to acknowledge what is involved.

The settlement sets out that the UK will:

• contribute to and participate in the 2019 and 2020 EU budgets, as part of the transition (or implementation) period;
  • continue to receive EU funding from EU programmes that are part of the 2014 – 2020 budget plan;
  • contribute towards the EU’s outstanding budget commitments at 31 December 2020 (these are budget commitments that have been made, but not yet paid);
  • contribute towards some of the EU’s liabilities – obligations to pay for certain items – incurred before 31 December 2020. EU staff pensions are the main source of such liabilities;
  • remain liable for the EU’s contingent liabilities – potential liabilities that may occur depending on the outcome of an uncertain event – which relate mainly to financial guarantees given and to legal risks;
  • receive back the €3.5 billion of capital it has paid into the European Investment Bank in 12 instalments from 2019, and will receive back the relatively small amount of capital it paid into the ECB on withdrawal;
  • remain liable for EIB liabilities approved before the WA comes into force, and will provide a guarantee to the EIB for its stock of outstanding loans which will decrease as EIB loans associated with it decrease;
  • continue to participate in some of EU’s overseas programmes, such as the European Development Fund, until the current round ends.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039#fullreport

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

• contribute to and participate in the 2019 and 2020 EU budgets, as part of the transition (or implementation) period;
  • continue to receive EU funding from EU programmes that are part of the 2014 – 2020 budget plan;
  • contribute towards the EU’s outstanding budget commitments at 31 December 2020 (these are budget commitments that have been made, but not yet paid);
  • contribute towards some of the EU’s liabilities – obligations to pay for certain items – incurred before 31 December 2020. EU staff pensions are the main source of such liabilities;
  • remain liable for the EU’s contingent liabilities – potential liabilities that may occur depending on the outcome of an uncertain event – which relate mainly to financial guarantees given and to legal risks;
  • receive back the €3.5 billion of capital it has paid into the European Investment Bank in 12 instalments from 2019, and will receive back the relatively small amount of capital it paid into the ECB on withdrawal;
  • remain liable for EIB liabilities approved before the WA comes into force, and will provide a guarantee to the EIB for its stock of outstanding loans which will decrease as EIB loans associated with it decrease;
  • continue to participate in some of EU’s overseas programmes, such as the European Development Fund, until the current round ends.
1 hour ago, sandyf said:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039#fullreport

Yes, but all part of the thus far unratified WA.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That is your prerogative, the government position has been laid out.

"The UK Government recognises that it would have outstanding financial commitments to the EU if it were to leave without a deal and not honouring these could see the UK being regarded as an unreliable partner. Ministers have suggested that an alternative settlement would have to be negotiated, which might not necessarily follow the precise terms set out in the financial settlement."

CBP-8039.pdf, BRIEFING PAPER Number 8039, 19 July 2019

I believe the prime minister has said, they will get 7 Billion or around that figure.

17 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I believe the prime minister has said, they will get 7 Billion or around that figure.

Bojo always has a lot to say, mainly with forked tongue.

At the end of the day it will be what the EU agree to.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Brexit mentality - take the solution away and the problem no longer exists.

If you mean that this WA is a solution then, yes, take it far far away for disposal and burial.

When did I say that the problem no longer exists?

Brexit mentality - take the solution away and the problem no longer exists.

The WAG Merkel/May Surrender Treaty was part of the problem.
Now that it has gone,it is not part of the ongoing problem and would never have been a solution.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, nauseus said:

Yes, but all part of the thus far unratified WA.

Just remember he ended-up voting for May's deal in the end, and is constantly saying the backstop is the problem.

If a time limit was put on the backstop, he could claim that as a victory. Put that back to the Commons, days before a no-deal exist, and the commons will back it. And that Mr nauseus will be your WTO clean flag waving fox well and truly shot. 

I'm Backing BoJo's BRINO WA Mark 2 - are you ? will be my new sig 

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you mean that this WA is a solution then, yes, take it far far away for disposal and burial.

When did I say that the problem no longer exists?

Oh goody that dear Mr johnson really going to smash you up with that one. Farage and Brexit Party oblivion is that way. Don't slam the door on the way out . 

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Just remember he ended-up voting for May's deal in the end, and is constantly saying the backstop is the problem.

If a time limit was put on the backstop, he could claim that as a victory. Put that back to the Commons, days before a no-deal exist, and the commons will back it. And that Mr nauseus will be your WTO clean flag waving fox well and truly shot. 

I'm Backing BoJo's BRINO WA Mark 2 - are you ? will be my new sig 

If you had read what I have written recently, you will see that I have already identified this as a possibility - it may be that Boris has already some kind of tweaked "agreement" verbally agreed after Biarritz. But the WTO route is a still the default in the case that no agreement is reached. I've never waved the WTO flag. Like most, I would prefer a reasonable agreement but the present one offer is bloody awful and not just with regards to the backstop.

Have a nice day.

Archived