UK PM Johnson says 39 billion pound divorce bill not due in no-deal Brexit

webfact

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

Brexit, so far, is costing the taxpayer billions already. The whole concept of brexit is a busted flush, or an extreme folly, or a tory party political 'saving face' exercise.

And the tory catfighting goes on as never before, despite Cameron's stupidity 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You're way, way overestimating the UK's importance.

The daftest post of the day......????

The UK is one of 28 countries in the EU yet puts 13% of the cash into it, to me that is important to the other 27...

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Brexit, so far, is costing the taxpayer billions already. The whole concept of brexit is a busted flush, or an extreme folly, or a tory party political 'saving face' exercise.

You have a short memory as to how much a few countries across the channel cost the UK in the 20th century, we bounced back and because of that you are here....

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I think I can trump your newspaper/secondary bank quotes:-

(Note, Deutsche bank is a proper bank and is in the EU)

London and the UK will remain Europe’s top financial centre over the next decade, according to Deutsche Bank’s chief executive John Cryan, despite fears in the City that the vote to leave the EU could be ruinous for the industry.

http://www.hansonlee.com/london-will-remain-the-top-financial-centre-post-brexit-says-deutsche-bank-chief/

Yes of course you can trump me with outdated articles from 2017.

Did you notice that under the new Deutsche Bank CEO, things might have changed a liitle?

Deutsche Bank said it would make Frankfurt rather than London the primary booking hub for its investment banking clients.

According to a report by the Financial Times, Deutsche Bank could over time move about three quarters of its estimated 600 billion euros ($683.76 billion) in assets from London to Frankfurt.

4 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Deutsche Bank said it would make Frankfurt rather than London the primary booking hub for its investment banking clients.

According to a report by the Financial Times, Deutsche Bank could over time move about three quarters of its estimated 600 billion euros ($683.76 billion) in assets from London to Frankfurt.

I though the Deutche bank were drowning in a sea of bad debt, and on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now they have assets?

https://qz.com/1660748/deutsche-bank-shares-sink-as-investors-assess-huge-restructuring/

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I note pioneer has already addressed this, but just to give a helping hand:-

Banks have ALREADY left London, which planet were you on the last 2 years?

Try something simple like google "banks leave london brexit", you'll be able to find out where they have gone/ are going. I'll give you a start- Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam.

or https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/3000398/brexit-banks-moving-out-of-london

Before someone tries to claim that it is all project fear, or MSM remainer bias please note:-

This site is a careers advisory service, providing advice to people working in the banking sector, not a political rag.

You mean like HSBC who said they were leaving..............................then said, oops, no we are not.

12 minutes ago, david555 said:

But her signature as a P.M. of the U.K. on that document  never faded.....????

Interesting point, did TM sign the WAG?  It seems unlikely as she knew that it would have to be passed by parliament?

AFAIK, May and the EU endorsed the agreement rather than signing it.

Not that it matters, as the May/EU agreement was rejected by parliament.

5 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Did you notice that under the new Deutsche Bank CEO, things might have changed a liitle?

I can trump yopu with a more recent Reuters article than your January 2019 offering...................... as you say, things change.

Barclays chairman John McFarlane said he was confident that London would remain a global financial centre able to secure access to Europe after Brexit.

“In the event of a no deal situation, this would hurt the EU very significantly if that was the case, and that would quickly resolve into some form of arrangement,” McFarlane said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks/top-bankers-back-london-as-financial-hub-whatever-brexit-outcome-idUSKCN1R20UE

How did that work out for Germany after WW2?
Did they ever pay?

I'd tell the EU (aka the 4th Reich, a united Europe under German rule) to take their 39B out of the money and interest Germany still owes.
While you are at it, ask France for reparations for the hundred year war.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, webfact said:

UK PM Johnson says 39 billion pound divorce bill not due in no-deal Brexit

As Nigel Farage describes it is "nothing more than a ransom demand plucked out of the air". He refers to the EU as the "Mafia" which he is forced to change to "gangsters".

He goes on to counter that the UK has invested more than 200 billion pounds in the EU and as such are part owners of the EU furniture. 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Well that comment just goes to show your lack of credibility regarding this subject..Sadly..

Your comment just shows your lack of reading comprehension. An answer " It's the 5th largest economy in the world, and the 2nd largest economy in the EU. " is no answer at all to my question 'how do I always underestimate the UK's importance .

From the OP:

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday that if Britain leaves the European Union without a deal, it will no longer legally owe the 39 billion pound ($47.88 billion) divorce bill agreed by his predecessor Theresa May."
"Sky News said the figure was 9 billion pounds, while the Sunday Times reported British government lawyers had concluded the amount Britain was legally obliged to pay could be as low as 7 billion pounds."
Whatever a lawyer concludes is just an opinion. Charles Manson's lawyers concluded that he was innocent...

1 minute ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Interesting point, did TM sign the WAG?  It seems unlikely as she knew that it would have to be passed by parliament?

AFAIK, May and the EU endorsed the agreement rather than signing it.

Not that it matters, as the May/EU agreement was rejected by parliament.

So then also all of those negotiating point who could favor you U.K.  could / can be seen as void …., remember you got several extensions granted on request of same P.M. May ….gosh …. maybe some  are right and you are out already long time....????

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

Boris the clown is even more deluded than we all thought.

Not meeting our legal obligations will get us a long way when making deals with anybody in the future.

They are only legal obligations if this this so-called withdrawal agreement is ratified. So far, it has only been endorsed by the EU and ex PM May. Therefore this terrible agreement is not fully agreed and not yet legal.

A good chunk of this 33 to 39 billion only becomes payable if his this <deleted> agreement is ratified. If we leave abruptly with no deal then then proposed transition period payments do not apply.

Link: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039

18 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Yes, things might have changed a little, their stock went up a bit after cutting 18,000 jobs!

Deutsche Bank are in big trouble, so a primary hub may well become the only hub in the next 3 years.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/deutsche-bank-q2-earnings-bigger-than-expected-loss-shares-plunge-2019-7-1028379541

We owe this money if we like it or not what will happen if we don't pay it who will do business with us? how much harder will those mystical Trade deals be now? and we will be downgraded by all the credit agency's so the interest on government borrowing will go up probably around about the time the world goes into a recession, Even I know this and I know nothing. We will pay for it, in the end, this is just more lies and nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, juice777 said:

We owe this money if we like it or not what will happen if we don't pay it who will do business with us? how much harder will those mystical Trade deals be now? and we will be downgraded by all the credit agency's so the interest on government borrowing will go up probably around about the time the world goes into a recession, Even I know this and I know nothing. We will pay for it, in the end, this is just more lies and nonsense.

It seems not all Brits delusionary ….those 39 b does not came out of nowhere …..

If no agreement on this I just see a very dark economic financial future for U.K with all sanctions coming out of it …..,

Just ask yourselfs on U.K. side ...what you would impose on a country who refuse to pay you a debt like this …?

5 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Rubbish, except for the "I know nothing" bit. See my post 79.

1 minute ago, david555 said:

It seems not all Brits delusionary ….those 39 b does not came out of nowhere …..

If no agreement on this I just see a very dark economic financial future for U.K with all sanctions coming out of it …..,

Just ask yourselfs on U.K. side ...what you would impose on a country who refuse to pay you a debt like this …?

Very mystic.

28 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I would recommend going back and reading earlier posts.

In short, the UK only 'owes' this money if the EU/May deal is agreed - and it has not, and will not be agreed by the UK parliament!

-The real question is, how much is legally owed by the UK?

This appears to be a far more likely figure of 7-9 bn in the event of 'no deal'.  Although the number would obviously increase in the event of yet another bloody extension.....

6 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Item one on agenda of eventual FTA discussions between UK and the EU after the UK crashes and burns out of the EU: Repayment of the 39 billion.
Item two: interest on the 39 billion.

Pay now or pay later. Doesn't really matter.

the guy (BJ) is a pathological liar at his best .... deal or no deal still has to pay, it was agreed upon,

Archived