Advice please from anyone who can read Thai?

zxzoomy

So does "I hah roy" mean "I'm very stupid" as in very short of a full shilling? Talking of miscommunication, once a Thai person was asking me for money, shaking me and saying what sounded like: "Die, die die". I knew no Thai so I was somewhat upset with this. But as you will all know, what was meant was: "Can, can, can". 

Just now, zxzoomy said:

So does "I hah roy" mean "I'm very stupid" as in very short of a full shilling? Talking of miscommunication, once a Thai person was asking me for money, shaking me and saying what sounded like: "Die, die die". I knew no Thai so I was somewhat upset with this. But as you will all know, what was meant was: "Can, can, can". 

If the "I" is English, then it means "I am looking for 100 baht". With Thai script, it is not easy to know exactly what is being said.

OP > I'd say someone is trying to scam you into paying 50,000 baht by adding 00 to the 500. The last two zeros are a different size from the first two. Probably been added later.

As for 'I hah roy' what's the context? "i hah" on its own (ไอ้ห่า) is a bit like saying '<deleted>'. You might say it when amongst friends, but wouldn't say it when in a discussion with a government official (however tempting ...). 'I hah roy' I've never heard. But could be someone was talking about that 500 baht of yours, in which case it would mean something like "that 500". 

1 hour ago, zxzoomy said:

I will not be helping with 50,000. What an excellent forum. And I've learnt something. Mai dtem baht 'not the full baht' or 'a few cents short of a dollar'. But what does "I hah roy" mean? 

i really think you should start from the beginning.    Learning something like  " sawadee krap"  .   Kop khun krap tii chuay krap   "        leave the slang and drunk and disorderly vocabularly till a bit later.  much later ????     Learning to read at the beginning can be helpful for pronunciation...... but can be left till later as well

6 hours ago, timendres said:

If the "I" is English, then it means "I am looking for 100 baht". With Thai script, it is not easy to know exactly what is being said.

I'm sure the "I" is for a male.  An "E" would be for a female.  As in "I heaa" when calling someone a guy a monitor lizard.

6 hours ago, rumak said:

... leave the slang and drunk and disorderly vocabularly till a bit later.  much later ????     ...

Yes.  I ran across a bit of blog about Thai pronouns.  This description made me laugh:

มึง /mueng/
Person: 2nd
Sex: –
Formality: HELL NO
Respectful: HELL NO
Polite: HELL NO Familiar: VERY *VULGAR*

This word is the paired pronoun of กู /guu/ and it is chosen for the same context of use. Only use with very close friends. Do not use with strangers as it will provoke them. You mustn’t use it in the presence of a respected audience. And all that jazz.

When to use: Very limited use. With close friends (only when they initiate it, and only when respected individuals are not around).

When not to use: When you’re not sure you can get out of it alive.  :cheesy:

Paired pronoun: กู /guu/

17 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Anything right of the decimal point would be in satang.    Does Thailand still mint those coins?   The cost of producing a 25 satang coin is probably more than its face value in 2019.   Dunno how that works in the world of macro economics.

Australia ditched its one and two cent coins decades ago, and all cash transactions are rounded up or down to the closest five cent margin.   I understand they are still legal tender, so I guess if some bright entrepeneur collected all those useless bronze coins lost under grandma's couches around the nation, he would be a billionaire.

I got a few satangs on my trip to Thailand last month.  They looked freshly minted to me.  They are cute but useless

14 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

...As for 'I hah roy' what's the context? "i hah" on its own (ไอ้ห่า) is a bit like saying '<deleted>'. You might say it when amongst friends, but wouldn't say it when in a discussion with a government official (however tempting ...). 'I hah roy' I've never heard. ...

Maybe I shouldn't have thrown that in the mix.  I'll ask the all-knowing wife.  I could be one of those Thai play on words, ห่า vs. the number 5 ห้า.  They like to do that. 

18 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm sure the "I" is for a male.  An "E" would be for a female.  As in "I heaa" when calling someone a guy a monitor lizard.

so.... if I have this right , your wife calls you  I heaa !    And you correctly respond    E bah  !

and then the plates start to fly ?

Archived