What is TM30?

On 8/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, White Christmas13 said:

So I will be staying in my friends place for a couple of weeks I am a tourist and i don't

live in Los anymore does he has to fill a TM30 for me I guess he would not know how

to do that if he has to do that where does he has to report me or just ignore it but

I need to fill in a TM6 form when I arrive will that get him in to trouble if he does not

report me?

Probably wont get him into trouble, but you could always put the name and address of a hotel.

Then they will never know.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, Tanoshi said:

The TM30 is required when arriving, not leaving.

Is the hospital in another Province?

You can't extend a Non O for 30 days.

You can extend a non O 'VISA' for 60 days if you're married for 1900 babt. However I reckon the OP is probably on an extension not a visa.

1  visa

2  extension/permission to stay.

images (43).jpeg

images (42).jpeg

Edited by overherebc

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You can extend a non O 'VISA' for 60 days if you're married for 1900 babt.

You can't extend a Visa, you can extend your permission of stay from a 90 day entry of an O Visa by 60 days if married to a Thai, but not 30 days as the OP stated.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can't extend a Visa, you can extend your permission of stay from a 90 day entry of an O Visa by 60 days if married to a Thai, but not 30 days as the OP stated.

Spirit of the answer is to show the difference between a visa and an extension/permission to stay without getting too complicated. ????

Edited by overherebc

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Topics about TM30.  ????

I know ???? but going for an extension if you don't know about a 30 or do and haven't done one could, depending on your local Imm' office, cause some hassle for you. On the other hand, it might not ???? and on the other hand I've got a thumb and 4 fingers. ????

On 8/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, White Christmas13 said:

So I will be staying in my friends place for a couple of weeks I am a tourist and i don't

live in Los anymore does he has to fill a TM30 for me I guess he would not know how

to do that if he has to do that where does he has to report me or just ignore it but

I need to fill in a TM6 form when I arrive will that get him in to trouble if he does not

report me?

By law he should report you even if you’re only staying one night.

If he doesn’t make a report, and gets caught, the only “trouble” is a fine that’s a maximum of 2,000 baht, but typically 800 or 1,600 baht.

Most people wouldn’t know to report in the past, many still don’t, and many in his situation wouldn’t bother even with the clampdown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The TM6 only asks for a proposed address, and many tourists arrive in the country without pre-booked accommodation.

It doesn’t. It asks for the address you a staying at on arrival.

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

You should be fine putting a hotel address on there as people have done for years. 

As long as it’s a legitimate hotel and address.

In years gone by you could get away with writing anything but that’s no longer guaranteed, especially for serial tourists that might be asked for proof of a booking/where they are staying.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Countless people still arrive here without having prearranged bookings, often a proposed address is the the only real option.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You should be fine putting a hotel address on there as people have done for years. 

As long as it’s a legitimate hotel and address.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting a fake one. Several hotels also allow bookings to be made without prepayment.

As far as I'm aware TM6 is not connected up with TM30 reporting anyway, so I'd guess that the friend's address could be put on the TM6 and there would be no repercussions later if no one filed an address report? 

27 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Countless people still arrive here without having prearranged bookings, often a proposed address is the the only real option.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting a fake one. Several hotels also allow bookings to be made without prepayment.

As far as I'm aware TM6 is not connected up with TM30 reporting anyway, so I'd guess that the friend's address could be put on the TM6 and there would be no repercussions later if no one filed an address report? 

Actually I did make a booking at a hotel in Jomtien I did book without prepaying but cancelled

a week ago since my friend told me I can stay in his place and yes my friend is Thai he wouldn't

have a clue about TM30

16 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:
27 minutes ago, elviajero said:

555, “Countless”. So you’ve tried counting then. That must keep you busy.

You said the TM6 is asking for a proposed address. I’m simply advising others that it doesn’t.

The fact that a small fraction of people arrive without knowing where they are staying and make up an address is irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It is connected. The address you give on the TM.6 goes in the immigration database as the place you’re staying at. The TM.30 then confirms you’ve arrived at that address. Subsequent TM.30’s track your whereabouts.

If the police where to go looking for you — and a TM.30 report hadn’t been made for another address — they would start at the friends address that you gave on the TM.6.

The address reporting laws are to track where we are staying for the duration of our stay and starts with the TM.6.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'd suggest otherwise.

When entering Thailand you inform Immigration via TM6 of your intended place of residence, then on arrival at that residence the 'house master' files a TM30 to confirm your arrival.

That appears a simple enough procedure.

From Immigrations point of view if a foreigner completes a TM6 notifying his intended place of residence, but then didn't receive a TM30 confirming his arrival, those are the foreigners I'd have concerns about and try to trace. Fortunately as of yet, they neither have the resources or manpower to trace or check up on such foreigners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

From Immigrations point of view if a foreigner completes a TM6 notifying his intended place of residence, but then didn't receive a TM30 confirming his arrival, those are the foreigners I'd have concerns about and try to trace. Fortunately as of yet, they neither have the resources or manpower to trace or check up on such foreigners.

This is the point I'm making. They have neither the resources or manpower, and at the present time appear not to be linking up the TM6 with the TM30. For a two week tourist I can't believe they ever could with a manual system. 

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

555, “Countless”. So you’ve tried counting then. That must keep you busy.

You said the TM6 is asking for a proposed address. I’m simply advising others that it doesn’t.

The fact that a small fraction of people arrive without knowing where they are staying and make up an address is irrelevant.

Are you being flippant? You can no more disprove that countless people arrive without knowing where they are staying, than you can prove your contention a few lines later that only a "small fraction" of arrivals don't have bookings. Have you counted the small fraction?

For those without bookings what else would the TM6 register other than a proposed address? I even observed an IO advising a tourist in front of me in the queue to do this back in May, when they were unclear about what to write in for their address. 

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Are you being flippant? You can no more disprove that countless people arrive without knowing where they are staying, than you can prove your contention a few lines later that only a "small fraction" of arrivals don't have bookings. Have you counted the small fraction?

I’m going by 24 years experience and using common sense. You are making a wild exaggeration.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

For those without bookings what else would the TM6 register other than a proposed address? I even observed an IO advising a tourist in front of me in the queue to do this back in May, when they were unclear about what to write in for their address. 

Thai immigration expect every visitor to provide them with the actual address they are staying at following entry to the country. FACT.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Thai immigration expect every visitor to provide them with the actual address they are staying at following entry to the country. FACT.

Perhaps you can point to a single instance of a denial of entry when someone didn't have a genuine place booked, or a subsequent problem where the place they ended up staying turned out to be different to that which they wrote on the form? If this is a rule it's a completely unenforceable one which bears no relation to how a lot of people choose to travel. The same applies to everywhere else in the region too - the landing card requires an address, but in many cases only a proposed address is possible. If you're seriously contesting this, you've got much less real life experience than your 24 years suggests. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Perhaps you can point to a single instance of a denial of entry when someone didn't have a genuine place booked, or a subsequent problem where the place they ended up staying turned out to be different to that which they wrote on the form?

Why? I didn’t say any of those things have happen.

I am refuting your claim that they are asking for or accepting a “proposed” address.

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

If this is a rule it's a completely unenforceable one which bears no relation to how a lot of people choose to travel. The same applies to everywhere else in the region too - the landing card requires an address, but in many cases only a proposed address is possible. If you're seriously contesting this, you've got much less real life experience than your 24 years suggests. 

Why would any country ask a visitor to provide a “proposed” address? Answer; they wouldn’t and don’t.

The fact that the address written on the TM.6 is rarely checked or challenged is irrelevant to your claim that I refute. You are deflecting the conversation instead of simply admitting you’re wrong.

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Why would any country ask a visitor to provide a “proposed” address? Answer; they wouldn’t and don’t.

They don't ask for a proposed address, they ask for an address. But they're well aware of the fact that many people who arrive don't yet have one organised, and therefore can only write down the place they're expecting to stay. Many people (especially those without a prearranged visa) wouldn't be aware of such a rule anyway until they're in the immigration queue filling out the landing card. As already mentioned, I recently saw an immigration officer tell someone in the queue to fill in a hotel they thought they'd be staying at, as they didn't have anything booked. I've also often arrived in country and headed to the beach for a few days before the city - in those circumstances I won't yet have a hotel booked, done this plenty of times. And for regional countries more often than not I'll sort out accommodation when I arrive, just like many people do. Surely you've heard of walk-in rates and last minute deals? 

11 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

They don't ask for a proposed address, they ask for an address.

Glad you now agree.

But they're well aware of the fact that many people who arrive don't yet have one organised, and therefore can only write down the place they're expecting to stay.

They expect every visitor to know where they are staying and to provide the address. Very simple.

And if you don't stay where indicated on the TM.6 you're supposed to inform immigration of the new address (not enforced in most cases).

Many people (especially those without a prearranged visa) wouldn't be aware of such a rule anyway until they're in the immigration queue filling out the landing card. As already mentioned, I recently saw an immigration officer tell someone in the queue to fill in a hotel they thought they'd be staying at, as they didn't have anything booked. I've also often arrived in country and headed to the beach for a few days before the city - in those circumstances I won't yet have a hotel booked, done this plenty of times. And for regional countries more often than not I'll sort out accommodation when I arrive, just like many people do. Surely you've heard of walk-in rates and last minute deals? 

Again you are writing about complete irrelevancies. What people think, don't know or do is irrelevant. They should be giving immigration the actual address they will be staying at, not a proposed address. Those have been the rules for 40 years regardless of how they are enforced.

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

They should be giving immigration the actual address they will be staying at, not a proposed address. Those have been the rules for 40 years regardless of how they are enforced.

I should've got a pony for my 9th birthday, that didn't happen either.

You're sounding a lot like that muffle-eared immigration official in the FCCT meeting who kept on insisting the law is still the law. It's obvious to anyone with real experience of travelling that a fair number of arrivals in any country will not already have accommodation booked in advance. In the majority of countries (including Thailand) this does not constitute a real problem for the authorities, hence the relevance of my comment that no punitive action has ever been taken against someone for not being able to guarantee an intended address. Even where someone does have a hotel booked there's nothing preventing them from changing their minds when they arrive and travelling on somewhere else.

There's usually a bit more common sense in your replies than you're demonstrating here. With regard to the TM30 in post #6 you make the (sensible) suggestion that someone visiting a friend needn't bother filing a report since there's no practical way of the authorities finding out about the trip. If it's equally true that there's no practical system in place that connects up a TM6 address with a TM30 report for a short term tourist, how is this any different?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, Tanoshi said:

The TM30 is required when arriving, not leaving.

So, explain the second pane here..... Page 2 of the TM30 does have a column for "expire stay date." But does the landlord have a requirement to real time actual "check out" date? Or, in my case, does the wife (landlord) need to report my 48 hour golf outings? Reality, of course, says no. But this graphic depiction of just more incompetence at the top should drive a thorough investigation -- by someone bright and unconnected -- of the whole TM30 mess.

I'm just surprised this "When to File -- when foreigner leaves the residence for more than 24 hours" hasn't drawn more attention on this forum........ Guess we've finally reached TM30 overload. Was this "Big Joke's" departing big joke?

1716564675_Screenshot(3).png.b1d92ecd2eae786d3eebfb55040fb240.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So, explain the second pane here..... Page 2 of the TM30 does have a column for "expire stay date."

In the case of staying in a private residence, which I pertain to state is my permanent residence, I have never filled the 'expire stay date', I leave it blank.

Some enter the expiry date of Visa or extension.

Hotels will typically enter the dates of the bookings.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JimGant said:

So, explain the second pane here..... Page 2 of the TM30 does have a column for "expire stay date." But does the landlord have a requirement to real time actual "check out" date? Or, in my case, does the wife (landlord) need to report my 48 hour golf outings? Reality, of course, says no. But this graphic depiction of just more incompetence at the top should drive a thorough investigation -- by someone bright and unconnected -- of the whole TM30 mess.

I'm just surprised this "When to File -- when foreigner leaves the residence for more than 24 hours" hasn't drawn more attention on this forum........ Guess we've finally reached TM30 overload. Was this "Big Joke's" departing big joke?

1716564675_Screenshot(3).png.b1d92ecd2eae786d3eebfb55040fb240.png

It’s misleading, but they mean that if you return to a property having stayed overnight elsewhere a new TM.30 is required.