12 month condo rent pre paid...any problem?

not a good move at all, if any problems arose during that time,(ie neighbours for one) you are stuck, landlord would not want to know, its bad enough paying, monthly, to try and get jobs done, Thais dont believe in maintenance, they will let a vacant condo got to rack and ruin and still want top money for it.

6 minutes ago, neeray said:

One year prepaid removes all the available leverage if anything goes wrong.

• Agree thats my concern. Does the lease doc protect me if that aspect is mentioned tho? in this case owner is an expat not that means anything in real terms

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:
  • Agree thats my concern. Does the lease doc protect me if that aspect is mentioned tho? in this case owner is an expat not that means anything in real terms

Like you said, "owner is an expat". A jerk around landlord is a jerk around landlord! They come in all colours and stripes.

I used to pay 6 monthly in advance with no issues. All depends on the quality of your landlord and situation with regards the type and location of property. I did it more because i dislike going to the bank to transfer every month rather than any significant discount.

33 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I used to pay 6 monthly in advance with no issues. All depends on the quality of your landlord and situation with regards the type and location of property. I did it more because i dislike going to the bank to transfer every month rather than any significant discount.

The one off transfer is a plus for sure, it removes the monthly budget concern too.Discount in this case equals about 3 months So is tempting!

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Does the lease doc protect me if that aspect is mentioned tho? 

If the OP hasn't done so already, ask for a copy of the lease beforehand and confirm exactly what is covered and not simply mentioned. If the Landlord is unwilling to share beforehand, go elsewhere. If the landlord shares and is agreeable to some inclusions that cover this aspect, then it's a good sign.

Thanks for the very good replies,I will reconsider I think. Apart from the owner needing the cash now I wonder is this price reduction indicative of hard to rent /overpriced problem evident in places like Pattaya?ie 16 k really should be 12 k?

7 hours ago, Olmate said:

Good price drop for paying year in advance but are their any problems with this? Has anyone done so and is money secure ? Not sure of correct forum,thanks.

Yes, have done it...no problems (and have given it)..but every landlord is a separate individual, it depends on his character...no hard and fast scenarios.

PS...the only problem I came across was that I always regretted it afterwards...couldn't move on when a different situation usually came up that "tickled my fancy".

Owner wants it upfront, rings alarm bells for me, liquidity problems, family cash problems,??

Would be concerned that if repairs etc required he may not be able to pay for them.

Lease or no lease he could leave you high and dry without plumbing, and other necessities

7 hours ago, Olmate said:

The one off transfer is a plus for sure, it removes the monthly budget concern too.Discount in this case equals about 3 months So is tempting!

Make sure you have something in place protecting you if the property is sold ? What happens if sold to a relative after 3 months and you are told to get out ! Make sure you are covered.

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Sounds like it is a bit late to ask us now anyway, but good luck

Thanks,no decision yet tho,as I mentioned last post,I’m leaning towards giving it a miss . Who knows exchange for baht may improve too!

I would stay a year. If all is good and they offer no less than 10% go for it.

My apartment offers 10. 5% discount for staying the year which everyone does. 5 for upfront. Bc it's actually only 5% I don't pay forward bc it's such small money. I want 10%.

My landlord is just fine and does TM30

3 hours ago, mrblonde said:

guys, sorry to jump in this thread, we've got a condo booked for 16 nights in November through AirBnB, but since been told its illegal??    Is this right please??

Unless the landlord can show you a hotel license then yes it's illegal. I have also a condo for rent in Pattaya. I can not rent for less than a month.

Den

10 hours ago, neeray said:

Like you said, "owner is an expat". A jerk around landlord is a jerk around landlord! They come in all colours and stripes.

I’m my opinion sure there are some but to put all in one basket doesn’t seem fair. Ask around the complex see what other tenants say, 

Archived