12 month condo rent pre paid...any problem?

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

Thanks for the very good replies,I will reconsider I think. Apart from the owner needing the cash now I wonder is this price reduction indicative of hard to rent /overpriced problem evident in places like Pattaya?ie 16 k really should be 12 k?

It benefits  the owner since he now has locked you to this condo and he can relax. . Problems arise when theres some repairs to be made like AC. Usually a per month payment makes him forced to fix it. Who pays the service costs etc. A monthly payment would for e him to pay. A contract could state what's in the deal.  

On 8/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, neeray said:

One year prepaid removes all the available leverage if anything goes wrong.

I have used 12 month pre-pay as a negotiating tool for many years with no negative experiences. Those who express the "what ifs" may do so from personal experience or from a fantasy of inexperience.

I have had western landlords (Scottish, English, Israeli and American), and each has been responsive, responsible and fair. I've lived at the Avenue Residence, Hyde Park, Cosy Beach View Condo and the Riviera Wongamat. Each move was a step up for amenities, location and views.

I took time to do careful research, chatting to neighbors, people living there and visits both day and night to see if it becomes a zoo after sundown.

The comments about lost leverage may have merit, but not from my experience. Taking time to meet the owner if possible, can be helpful should problems arise. Otherwise, an established rental company has worked for me as well. A well written contract takes the guesswork out of the equation...again, from personal experience.

I've never rented from a Russian or Thai landlord, so I am unable to comment. Feel free to messege me if you have any questions. Good luck.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, Olmate said:

The one off transfer is a plus for sure, it removes the monthly budget concern too.Discount in this case equals about 3 months So is tempting!

For me, a 25k a month asking, ended up at 18k for 10 months and 19k for two months at a 43 story, one year old, one-bedroom in Wongamat. This is from personal experience and not from some imaginary scenario as is often posted. The landlord was great and I recently moved to a larger place, for less money. My present landlord (UK) and his Thai wife are gems and very nice.

18 hours ago, Benmart said:

For me, a 25k a month asking, ended up at 18k for 10 months and 19k for two months at a 43 story, one year old, one-bedroom in Wongamat. This is from personal experience and not from some imaginary scenario as is often posted. The landlord was great and I recently moved to a larger place, for less money. My present landlord (UK) and his Thai wife are gems and very nice.

Great advice,thanks. I,m moving from Phuket next week so will see how things look in person, rather than email chats. I,m not in your price bracket but all your points are valid anyway, we, ve had three Thai landlords/ladies so far, two great one a real horror. Cheers

Does the lease doc protect me..

Protect you from what?  Imagine the scenario:

You pay 12 months upfront rent.  Your landlord turns out to be a <deleted> and does no repairs etc.  What are you going to do? Do the repairs yourself and send him the bill?  Take the repair cost out of the rent money (oh, you already paid all that for the year).  Decide to leave and ask for your rent balance back?  Pay a lawyer to take your landlord to court for return of that rent money. Win in court and then have to pay more lawyer fees to try to enforce the court decision?

You see what I'm saying.  Your lease document means absolutely nothing!  You might have protection on paper, but in real life you can forget it....  This is Thailand, not cosy Kansas ????

57 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

When in Pattaya I stay at a Condotel. 

1-2 months, same price. 

3 months, 2000 a month cheaper. 

I personally think it is a fair deal. 

Not sure I can mention here the name of the Condotel. 

Is it the white one.

Archived