DLT teaching students how to ride motorcycles as number without licences revealed

webfact

DLT teaching students how to ride motorcycles as number without licences revealed

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the Department of Land Transport are spending 26.5 million baht to train 51,000 high school students to ride motorcycles properly and get licences. 

However, this is just a small proportion of people who ride motorcycles who do not have a licence. 

DLT chief Theeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen was commenting about a project called "Modern Day Students Have Licences".

So far 21,900 students from M4-M6 (the last three years of secondary school aged about 16 - 18) have been trained and have got their licences. 

A total of 9.2 million baht has been spent so far but 26.5 million in total will be spent over the next year to train up a total of 51,150 students. 

Students have been shown to be most at risk on the roads and it is felt that training them and getting them licences will help to lower the death toll on Thailand's roads. 

Daily News said that 2019 figures showed that there are just over 21 million motorcycles registered nationwide. 

But there are only 13.3 million people with bike licences. 

This means that 7.7 million people - many of them students - ride motorcycles without a licence. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-26

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Department of Land Transport are spending 26.5 million baht to train 51,000 high school students to ride motorcycles properly..."

Does the term "The blind leading the blind" come to mind?

Once they get their licenses, they will forego the use of helmets and safe driving practices. The strongest message they will receive will be from the police, in front of the schools, who do nothing as hundreds of students pass by them wearing no helmets, and have 2 or more passengers on one bike.

i would like to bet 99% of the middle to older generation do not have a licence or any insurance, ( i know of 3 in my local bar) now multiply that be a few thousand, they come to the big city after riding for years in their village and think, no have, not need. never have accident, me Thai have amulet, and that my friend leads to 25,000 dead people, just imagine that figure in your home country.

Went to get my wifes license and when she was doing the test the male instructor was giving her a hard time for some reason.  Had her do parts of the test over.  Telling her if she can not do she not pass.  Even though she was not making any mistakes.  The next rider was a young Thai guy.  He did the whole test without a helmet.  And passed the test.  Well  almost passed, untill I asked the instructor why he passed without wearing a helmet.  555. 

18 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"Department of Land Transport are spending 26.5 million baht to train 51,000 high school students to ride motorcycles properly..."

Does the term "The blind leading the blind" come to mind?

Once they get their licenses, they will forego the use of helmets and safe driving practices. The strongest message they will receive will be from the police, in front of the schools, who do nothing as hundreds of students pass by them wearing no helmets, and have 2 or more passengers on one bike.

All negative comments and not one positive thing to say with predictions of doom and gloom.Well I say from little things big things grow.It's a start and a step in the right direction even if it is only a baby step.

This means that 7.7 million people - many of them students - ride motorcycles without a licence

50% of them are underage,

This has been said many times before, What parents let their underage kids, No license, no helmet ,leave the house?

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

All negative comments and not one positive thing to say with predictions of doom and gloom.Well I say from little things big things grow.It's a start and a step in the right direction even if it is only a baby step.

At the moment it seems you're on your own

All I can suggest is make sure you have your license,or at least a few hundred baht in your wallet. It’s Thailand their rules and laws the blind leading the blind.

My wife’s mother and father and cousins don’t have licenses they all ride bikes. Yes if we the Falang community could impose our common sense regarding traffic laws,Thailand would be a much safer place on the roads,but we can’t.

Lets just stick to being Buffalo and enjoy what we came here for.

47 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

5pm.jpg

Why did he remove the mirrors?

Not only the guy in the front, but the guy behind him as well (it also looks like both don't have the straps of their helmets closed)

Aerodynamics, you know...

I also doubt that the guy on the PCX is 18 years old.

Actually quite interesting, the picture to show how they teach them shows five infringements. Maybe they should get proper teachers first.

Like they teach you anything about road safety that helps during DLT lol. Those kids control their bike / drive better than their instructors most times.
Real problem is about driving drunk, bars always alongside big roads and the only way to go and get back is by own transport.

Almost all the local bars in my area alone are alongside 80-100KMH roads. Actually a miracle there is not more often a accident.

Lots of (expected and some humorous) negative comments, and many repeating what others have said. The thread isn't even two pages yet, so why can't some members read first?

It is a step in the right direction and it will save at least one life. And yes, there's no point in expecting Farang mentality to have any effect. But hey, things do filter through (such as the plastic bag/single-use plastic concept). It just takes time.  In fact, with the helmet straps, mirrors etc this picture & story is more likely to go viral (as much as it could) and they say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Saying all this, I do agree with almost every post so far! ????

2 hours ago, stereolab said:

Rides past instructor with chin strap undone.

thats how they pass the driving test !!!

absolute dumbos these so called examiners !!

Disgraceful.

Do they tell these so called drivers THAT UNDERTAKING IS ILLEGAL on ALL roads here??

Answer is a BIG BIG NO NO NO they do not..

when one is turning LEFT just how many times does some idiot UNDERTAKE....they do not understand that there is A blind SPOT.....dumbos ....

Archived