Using Paypal in Thailand?

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I have quite a bit of money in my Paypal account. I don't want to withdraw it to my UK bank (so don't advise that please) and cannot link my Thai bank to it.

So I want to use the money to buy things, but I can't find any websites in Thailand which accept it. Does anyone know of any?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your comment. When I read that, I though "how could I have missed that?", so I double checked again, and they don't accept it, they accept the following payments only:

• Cash on Delivery

• Credit Card

• Debit Card

• Counter Service

• ATM

• Online Banking Payment

• Credit Card Installments

• Lazada Wallet

• TrueMoney Wallet

1 minute ago, Beggar said:

You should be able to link a Thai bank account to it. The only problem was to transfer money from this account to PayPal. But the other way round it should work. 

You can't, I contacted Paypal about it.

9 minutes ago, elcaro said:

Maybe your british account. But try opening a new account and transfer it to there?

Yes, that's what Paypal said, but you can't have 2 Paypal accounts so I would have to close my UK one and don't really want to do that as I use it to pay for things online fairly regularly, but not often enough to make use of this balance. Really if I could just find an online Thai company that would accept it and actually sells something that I want, that would be the easiest option. Computer parts or meat would be ideal, but no dice with either of those so far.

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If you set up a Thai Paypal then yes no problem. I can't do that.

Why can't you set up a Thai PayPal account? I have a US one and later I set up an additional Thai account. Then I moved funds from the US to the Thai PayPal account. 

Nonsense, you can have multiple PP accounts as well link a Thai bank account. 
I even have my Dutch and Thai account linked into it. Otherwise just transfer the funds to a local PP account, doesn't get easier than they offer already.

Unless your money is fraud money, then you will be given a hard time to move or use it.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could open a second PayPal account with a Thai bank and transfer your money from A to B to bank.

There are lots of websites which accept PayPay. I am pretty sure the majority of pages accept it.

Lazada.co.th is one of them

quite sometime Lazada stopped receiving paypal payments....

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could open a second PayPal account with a Thai bank and transfer your money from A to B to bank.

There are lots of websites which accept PayPay. I am pretty sure the majority of pages accept it.

Lazada does not accept PayPal.

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Transferring money to yourself can cause red flags with Paypal

10 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

I tried to deposit money from my Thai bank acc to my paypal acc but was informed you can't do this from a Thai bank. I know this won't help.

I have two PayPal accounts. One is connected to my Thai credit card.

I can easily transfer money from that account (which will be deducted from my CC) to my other account.

And obviously I can transfer is also back into the first account.

14 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Why can't you set up a Thai PayPal account? I have a US one and later I set up an additional Thai account. Then I moved funds from the US to the Thai PayPal account. 

Can confirm that I have also done this. You just need two different email addresses.

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lazada WAS one of them, but no longer for a few months already.

Depends how much money is in the account. PayPal locked up a couple of thousand usd from friday until tuesday while doing verifications on my merchant account. Our business is all above board but I still was a bit fearful.

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can easily transfer money from that account (which will be deducted from my CC) to my other account.

Sorry, over my head that.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems I don't use that very often.

Another one (not in Thailand but delivery to Thailand) is banggood.com

I used to pay with Paypal then one day the logo just disappeared.

On the other hand I use Paypal on some flights and on Agoda. Ebay always accepted it. That's about all I use it for.

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, continue to pay with cash.

That is perfectly ok.

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, continue to pay with cash.

That is perfectly ok.

Sorry, do we know each other? and where did I say I don't use paypal? i said I can't transfer money into the account, not that I can't use it at all. Not hard to follow, surely.

22 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Sorry, do we know each other? and where did I say I don't use paypal? i said I can't transfer money into the account, not that I can't use it at all. Not hard to follow, surely.

Ok, let me try again by adding some details to my original post

As far as I know you can't transfer money from any bank account into your own PayPal account.

But anybody can transfer from any other PayPal account money into your PayPal account.

So what you can do and what I did is the following:

a) Setup a second PayPal account. It just needs a different email address. You can make up a name, it does not need a bank account. Let's call this new account "2ndAccount"

b) Login to your normal PayPal account which is likely connected to a credit card or bank account. Transfer money from your 1stAccount to your 2ndAccount. That works. When you do it money will be deducted from your bank account or credit card and then it will be transferred to your 2ndAccount.

c) Now the money is in your 2ndAccount

d) It's up to you if you keep it there and use it for payments or if you transfer your money from your 2ndAccount back to your 1stAccount.

e) If you transfer money from your 2ndAccount to your 1stAccount then you have money in your 1stAccount - just as if you would have transferred money from your bank to your 1stAccount.

qed

Paypal specifically told me that I can't have another account - maybe the rules have changed I don't know. The money is money owed from the sale of a DSLR camera lens, so not a huge amount but quite a bit to me. I think I've figured out an option though, can transfer to a friend's Paypal who can wire the money to my Thai bank (I can't do that from here as I have lost the code generating security device which is required to make a transfer). The other option is to keep the money in the Paypal until I need to stay at a hotel or take a flight because I can use a website like Expedia and pay with Paypal so issue is solved.

Thanks for all the advice.

Paypal specifically told me that I can't have another account - maybe the rules have changed I don't know. The money is money owed from the sale of a DSLR camera lens, so not a huge amount but quite a bit to me. I think I've figured out an option though, can transfer to a friend's Paypal who can wire the money to my Thai bank (I can't do that from here as I have lost the code generating security device which is required to make a transfer). The other option is to keep the money in the Paypal until I need to stay at a hotel or take a flight because I can use a website like Expedia and pay with Paypal so issue is solved.

Thanks for all the advice.
I have a UK PayPal account and a Thai PayPal account. You just have to use different email addresses to open more than one PayPal account. My Thai PayPal account is linked to Kasikorn bank and the virtual Visa K-Shopping card. That's the way you have to do it which is very easy. So I can receive money into my PayPal account in a different currency, convert to Thai baht and transfer in cash to my account and then take that cash out with my ATM card. Job done. The only downside is that PayPal exchange rates are not great.

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

You can't, I contacted Paypal about it.

Correct, but you already know this.

PayPal has become such a dinosaur these days, the only thing you can do with the cash is spend it on eBay (but it’s better to use aliexpress these days). I used to receive wages through PayPal, and lost 000’s in charges and <deleted> exchange rate. 

Glad you found a solution.

Archived