Using Paypal in Thailand?

21 hours ago, SteveK said:
21 hours ago, Beggar said:

You should be able to link a Thai bank account to it. The only problem was to transfer money from this account to PayPal. But the other way round it should work. 

You can't, I contacted Paypal about it.

I have 3 PayPal accounts.  One linked to a Hong Kong bank account, one linked to a UK credit card and one linked to my Thai bank account.  I've transferred funds between all 3 with no problem.

I can move funds from my Thai account to PayPal (do it at least once a week paying for Saas fees) and I've withdrawn funds from my PayPal account to my Thai bank account.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I can move funds from my Thai account to PayPal (do it at least once a week paying for Saas fees) and I've withdrawn funds from my PayPal account to my Thai bank account.

It did not work before. Now you can transfer the money from your Thai bank accounts to your Thai PayPal account? Just a normal transfer without detours?

21 hours ago, SteveK said:

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I have quite a bit of money in my Paypal account. I don't want to withdraw it to my UK bank (so don't advise that please) and cannot link my Thai bank to it.

So I want to use the money to buy things, but I can't find any websites in Thailand which accept it. Does anyone know of any?

Which sites have you tried so far apart from Lazada

Be advised, Steve, that PayPal will soon be charging a fee (about 4%) for transactions that require a currency exchange. I just received a notice from PayPal on that a few days ago. So if your balance is in British Pounds, and you purchase something that will be paid for in Thai baht, you will pay a fee for that exchange. Check with PayPal for the details. 

18 hours ago, SteveK said:

Paypal specifically told me that I can't have another account - maybe the rules have changed I don't know. The money is money owed from the sale of a DSLR camera lens, so not a huge amount but quite a bit to me. I think I've figured out an option though, can transfer to a friend's Paypal who can wire the money to my Thai bank (I can't do that from here as I have lost the code generating security device which is required to make a transfer). The other option is to keep the money in the Paypal until I need to stay at a hotel or take a flight because I can use a website like Expedia and pay with Paypal so issue is solved.

Thanks for all the advice.

For starters PayPal is giving you incorrect advice.
Maybe you didn't properly explain your scenario.

I have personally set up multiple PayPal accounts as follows.
Make this easy.

Open a new PayPal account using a different email address.
Link it to a Thai bank account.
Add that Thai bank account's ATM card to the new PayPal account.

The you can transfer funds from your current PayPal account to your new PayPal account.
You cannot fund your PayPal account with funds from your bank account but you don't have to.

Any payments you make with the new PayPal account will default to your bank account for payment if you don't have a PayPal balance.

For any online businesses that don't accept payment from PayPal, you can use your new ATM card for payment.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, NonthaburiBear said:

Not many people understand paypal.  The best way is to withdraw to your Thai Bank account and pay base on your Thai Bank acoount

Not if your funds originate in another currency. The exchange rate (or exchange rate surcharge) PayPal applies is quite bad.

I have thai and USA PayPal accounts, the thai one  linked to thai bank account. Lazada wallet no longer lets foreigners use it, doe to their money laundering paranoia, they dud let me spend down 

If you can convert your account into a business account, you can get a debit card, and pull cash from the ATM's. I have been doing that for years. I can also transfer funds to my linked bank account in the US, and pull funds from there too. I love using paypal. I buy products with it on Lazada (using it as a credit card, not a paypal card, as it is the same thing), ebay, amazon, and pay for hotels, groceries, etc. Very convenient to have. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You could open a second PayPal account with a Thai bank and transfer your money from A to B to bank.

There are lots of websites which accept PayPay. I am pretty sure the majority of pages accept it.

Lazada.co.th is one of them

Not quite. Lazada used to but no longer accepts PayPal. However, you are right in saying that many other websites accept PayPal

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

Not quite. Lazada used to but no longer accepts PayPal. However, you are right in saying that many other websites accept PayPal

i has used lazada last 4 year ewery month orden klittle and my homecountry bank account has accept and work fine whit lazada, if orden somethink money go to my home bank account to lazada traight no need thai account anywere. better lot than thai account, thai bank account have lot hassle alltime, no good newer, paypal have world biggest <deleted>, i have 300$ in paypal account last 3 year and no can take out, no can closed account no can buy or do anythjink whit my paypal account, big <deleted>, because before my account say have closed, my 2500$ limti is full and no can use account before send document, bank,home bill,elektric bill,etc, but i no have anythink bill at my home country, i no have house or elektric or anythink hometown, idiot want my papers but no have any bill or other, i has send my bank account numbers,passport copy etc but no open my account, idiot all paypal. 3 year closed my account only has 2500$ little limi8t full, this must open or full closed my account but no can, say only need confirm papers and card. i has do many many time confirm my bank card but no help. big idiot and no can take out my money. 300$ have lot for me.

23 minutes ago, finnishmen said:

i has used lazada last 4 year ewery month orden klittle and my homecountry bank account has accept and work fine whit lazada, if orden somethink money go to my home bank account to lazada traight no need thai account anywere. better lot than thai account, thai bank account have lot hassle alltime, no good newer, paypal have world biggest <deleted>, i have 300$ in paypal account last 3 year and no can take out, no can closed account no can buy or do anythjink whit my paypal account, big <deleted>, because before my account say have closed, my 2500$ limti is full and no can use account before send document, bank,home bill,elektric bill,etc, but i no have anythink bill at my home country, i no have house or elektric or anythink hometown, idiot want my papers but no have any bill or other, i has send my bank account numbers,passport copy etc but no open my account, idiot all paypal. 3 year closed my account only has 2500$ little limi8t full, this must open or full closed my account but no can, say only need confirm papers and card. i has do many many time confirm my bank card but no help. big idiot and no can take out my money. 300$ have lot for me.

I has the same experience a few years ago, and have also that time about $2000 on my PP account. After get very angry, I emphatically said that it is my own money, they eventually refunded the money to my bankaccount. But it took quite some effort. Sometimes it is easy to have PP, but at the time being, not now.

4 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I has the same experience a few years ago, and have also that time about $2000 on my PP account. After get very angry, I emphatically said that it is my own money, they eventually refunded the money to my bankaccount. But it took quite some effort. Sometimes it is easy to have PP, but at the time being, not now.

I gave up using PayPal several years ago. The adjectives "smug", "self-righteous" and "moralistic" seem particularly appropriate

On 8/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, SteveK said:

Yes, that's what Paypal said, but you can't have 2 Paypal accounts so I would have to close my UK one and don't really want to do that as I use it to pay for things online fairly regularly, but not often enough to make use of this balance. Really if I could just find an online Thai company that would accept it and actually sells something that I want, that would be the easiest option. Computer parts or meat would be ideal, but no dice with either of those so far.

Really ?

I opened a Thai paypal account last week and had no issue.... no mention of needing to close my Aus one).

On 8/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, SteveK said:

You can't, I contacted Paypal about it.

Yes you can. I have 2 PayPal accounts, BUT they MUST have different email addresses. PayPal do not allow more than 1 account per email address. One is for Australia and the 2nd for Thailand. My Thai bank account is linked to the 2nd PayPal account. If/when you transfer funds to your Thai PayPal account you CAN move those funds to your Thai bank account. I do that on a regular basis from money I earn from doing online surveys, which is credited to my aussie bank account. However, you CANNOT purchase online and have the funds deducted from your Thai bank account. To purchase online using the Thai PayPal account either a debit card that can be used online ( not all banks allow their debit cards to be used online ) or a credit card MUST be linked to the Thai PayPal account.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You could open a second PayPal account with a Thai bank and transfer your money from A to B to bank.

There are lots of websites which accept PayPay. I am pretty sure the majority of pages accept it.

Lazada.co.th is one of them.

I think PayPal is gone as payment method at Lazada. 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, SteveK said:

Paypal specifically told me that I can't have another account - maybe the rules have changed I don't know. The money is money owed from the sale of a DSLR camera lens, so not a huge amount but quite a bit to me. I think I've figured out an option though, can transfer to a friend's Paypal who can wire the money to my Thai bank (I can't do that from here as I have lost the code generating security device which is required to make a transfer). The other option is to keep the money in the Paypal until I need to stay at a hotel or take a flight because I can use a website like Expedia and pay with Paypal so issue is solved.

Thanks for all the advice.

As you say if you look around there are options. My Paypal is UK and I use it fairly regularly, I often buy stuff on ebay to be delivered in Thailand. 

I have Kodi and use Real Drebrid with it, pay for that with Paypal. Whatever suits your needs.

12 hours ago, sefty said:

My problem seems to be the routing number on zoom is 9 digits. So the thai swift codes are are only 8 digits so for example kasikorn bank is KASITHBK. Any suggestions how I can get over this problem.

Sent from my DUB-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Banks Swift codes are an international standard = 8 digits. 

Archived