Electricity going up every month

Kenny202

I would doubt very much that it is the TV is a major consumer, a TV as per yours would consume about 80 watts per hour, so if on for 12 hours a day it would only use just less than 1 unit, on standby it will be mW of power needed.

For those that didn't know, electricity prices have risen progressively this year

Current pricing here (PEA same prices) - http://www.mea.or.th/en/profile/109/111

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I too am surprised that your TV appears to be a big consumer. What does the rating plate on the TV say?

Get the feeling his freezer and refrigerator were not cooling when unplugged as am sure they would be drawing more.  Of course those units also probably have a timer to prevent starting for a few minutes after electric cut to prevent liquid in compressor so if plugged in and checked immediately would not show any draw.  So TV might be a big draw compared to normal almost nothing.  As it is a spinning wheel can get quite scary.  

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I too am surprised that your TV appears to be a big consumer. What does the rating plate on the TV say?

I would have thought so too but I saw the meter spinning. I mean it wasn't flying around but about 1 revolution per minute with only the TV on. I had a look at the TV and googled the details but couldn't find much. It is a Samsung UA48H5141AK Backlit LED 48". I even downloaded the manual but no specs. 2014 model. 

Other than that I know it's been hotter and all that but life hasn't changed pretty much and I can think of no reason why the power consumption should double, and be getting worse in the last month when it was cooler. As I said we do leave the TV on most of the day even though we're not watching it so I will be making sure thats one thing we can correct. I believe electricity has gone up but apparently just about nothing

Do they sell the equivalent of a kill-a-watt in Thailand?  (Plug-integrates energy meter.)  If not, how about the figure-8 plug splitters that let you clamp each conductor?

I have trouble believing it is the TV; I would suggest turning it off and on during the afternoon to see if it makes as much difference in speed of the dial. In essence you are describing a 300W, 24x7 load increase. Easily possible, but without something new it is a little hard to explain away. 

The only other simple possibility is that is that you have lower voltage and something runs much more inefficiently with low voltage. Might want to pull out your fridge and clean things. 

Formula to calculate power usage using Kwh meter:

P(Watt)= (1000 * Revs/n) * 3600/t(sec)

n is the dedicated number for each type of Kwh meter, means number of revolutions needed for 1 Kwh (1 unit). It's displayed on the meter.

Mine is 400 for example.

Let the meter make a few revolutions (the more the better for accuracy), note the time in seconds and feed the formula.

15 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Anyone who could invent a magnet that works on aluminum, would make millions.

The only magnets that attract aluminum are machinists.  Ask a machinist's wife about the chips on on his clothing and about the house. ????

First thing to do is check what rate you pay for power, are you being stiffed by management, has the rate changed if you pay yourself? The TV on standby will consume little power, an LCD TV when used is not a huge consumer of power either so it is the aircon and or fridge / freezers using the most power. Be conscious appliances all add up so many small amounts become large. 

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't need to be convinced. It's a fact. My bill has gone from 2500 to 4000 in 6 months and all things being equal apart from an extremely hot summer this year can't understand why. Particularly last month as the temperature back to 32-35 degrees most days and Air con and every other thing usage no different than normal.

..i think what 'colinneil' is saying..the rate per unit has not increased.

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

The air cons would be the main power users no doubt. They are no inverter but are serviced properly regularly. I rent so I wont be replacing them. Hot water systems we have are the instantaneous on the wall type and we don't use them a lot. They are turned off when not in use.

When you say rent that might be the problem since you haven't done too much different?  My cousins lives and rents at a place for near ten years his behavior pattern is very set and discipline. A few months back it was hot he rarely turns on the A/C when he does he cools his room then turn it off and fan running only. His electricity bill was like 600 baht tops but last two months it just went to 1500 plus, he did pretty much what you did including tracking the meter whenever the A/C went on.

Thereafter he went to the manager and they were will aware of his bill numbers so they tracked the meter and did noticed the speed it was running so it was changed thereafter the bill drop back to 600 he also noticed even when he does turn the A/C on now the bill is still low compare to prior. Have the meter changed even if you offer to pay for it , it runs like 600-900 baht for a good one that would be a good start?

18 hours ago, CGW said:

Each to their own, after 40 years in SEA I'm pretty well acclimatised, though much prefer to be in a AC house set at 28c which keeps low humidity levels & stops mould and <deleted> growing in the house, keeps bedding and clothing fresh. Bedroom I like cool - 23c is about perfect, fact is the body gets a lot better quality sleep in cooler temperatures.

I never get sick! as I live in a healthy clean environment (hope I'm not tempting fate!) 

Sure you can get acclimatised to some extent but you can't change simple thermodynamics, the body don't like stinking hot weather as it can't cool down, just like an engine is able to cool more efficiently in cooler weather.

I do get out of the house a lot during the daytime, so nice to come back into a cool place and not sit around dripping with sweat, I reckon I have sweated enough for one lifetime having spent many years in stinking hot shipyards & offshore MODU, now is the time to be comfortable ???? 

So yes - I do moan when the weather is "hot" ???? really don't know why it needs to be so hot at times - ridiculously uncomfortable!

Ya, i'm one of those weird ones that annoy my Thai family.

I like to drive the car with the air off and the windows open.

I like to sit at the outside tables and chairs at a restaurant, rather than inside in the air con cold bit.

Opposite to the Thais who want the air all the time.

Weird innit?

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

All electrical devices draw electricity when plugged

No they do not. I turn off my PC at night and it does not then take any power. If I plug my vaccuum cleaner in it does not take any power until I press the on switch. TVs and PC monitor can take a minute amount when on standby, and the clock on my microwave also, but nothing serious. 

I know this because I have a power monitor meter I got in UK. A sensor goes round the main cables coming into my house and shows up on a display. I can see when an a/c or shower goes on...up by 1kWh it goes, I can see when my fridge cycles on and off.

I don't know if you can buy here, but it is very useful. I also read my mains meter every morning and put the reading into an app called ECAS which shows daily and monthly usage.

My daily usage is around 10 units per day at the moment, but goes up to 12 if I have had the oven on for an hour to make a pizza!

Air con is our biggest user of power, stop using them for a couple of weeks when on holidays and power bill drops dramatically.

If you have old air cons they will definitely use more power than new inverter models. 

Also depends on what setting and temp you have your aircon. If you have auto try setting it to that at your desired temp, my preference is 24 c. 

My air cons are all inverters and I have found that setting them to AI is the most efficient for power. Setting the air con on the cool cycle makes the outside air con unit run more, as well as, the unit fan inside.

I have two fridges, a water cooler, pressure pump, tv on stand-bye running all the time, use air sometimes during the day and have our bedroom air con on most nights. Average power for 12 months is about 1700B.

24 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Are you paying less than 4 Baht per kilowatt hour? 

The total bill was 3940 baht, consumption 899 so that would be about 4.4 baht per unit. I can't see on the bill where it gives a unit / Kw rate? It is standard PEA house meter on the street. It's not the landlords meter.

Our consumption in 6 months has risen from 500 to 899 and I can see no good reason for it apart from the hot weather. Unfortunately I don't have any old bills to go back and check our usage past the last 6 months. I got my missus to ring up just then and insist they come and replace the meter and they have agreed to do it. I have her well trained now dealing with government departments etc. Before she was quite timid and they would give their usual throw away excuse, talk down to her and give her that "now go away" look. I think she enjoys her new found power lol.

2 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Air con is our biggest user of power, stop using them for a couple of weeks when on holidays and power bill drops dramatically.

If you have old air cons they will definitely use more power than new inverter models. 

Also depends on what setting and temp you have your aircon. If you have auto try setting it to that at your desired temp, my preference is 24 c. 

My air cons are all inverters and I have found that setting them to AI is the most efficient for power. Setting the air con on the cool cycle makes the outside air con unit run more, as well as, the unit fan inside.

I have two fridges, a water cooler, pressure pump, tv on stand-bye running all the time, use air sometimes during the day and have our bedroom air con on most nights. Average power for 12 months is about 1700B.

I set our air cons fairly high at 28 but as I said we rent and they are standard not inverter type air cons. They are fairly newer Samsung units though and regularly cleaned / serviced properly. I will try putting them on auto however before I found them to be less efficient reducing humidity in auto mode. There is no doubt in my mind the air cons are our biggest user. I am not debating that  but when nothing has changed too much over the last 3 years hard to understand how our bills have near doubled last 6 months and continuing to rise even now it's cooler. 

I do recall my wife telling me a few months ago that power prices were set to increase. Ours has gone up but I think that’s because we’ve had additional people in the house last few months. Maybe there has been a rate increase too. I’ll check the bills.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Ya, i'm one of those weird ones that annoy my Thai family.

I like to drive the car with the air off and the windows open.

I like to sit at the outside tables and chairs at a restaurant, rather than inside in the air con cold bit.

Opposite to the Thais who want the air all the time.

Weird innit?

I'm the same. Grew up in tropical Australia without aircon. I'm perfectly happy sitting on the porch/verandah with a fan in 40 degrees while the mrs is inside sometimes with the air con going but more often with the back door and front doors open as we tend to get a nice breeze.

The only ill effects I've ever had is driving with the window down and my elbow on the window sill. Had a couple of skin cancers cut out over the years but no big deal.

Our power bill varies from 1000-1400 depending on the time of year, two aircons, fridge, tv's etc etc all the normal stuff.

I have lived in In CM for thirty years and have never had air-con.  I did buy a small water cooler this past April which I used for two months because it got so hot.  I do use fans when I am inside and I keep the windows open both day and night.  If you spend all of your time in air-con your body will never adjust to the climate of the tropics.  I do admit that living in BKK might be difficult without air-con, especially at night, but I feel better when I use just a fan and open windows.

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are some members convinced electric is going up?

Not the case at all, this months bill 657 baht, same time period last year 698 baht, 2 years ago 628 baht.

Also the amount per unit has not increased.

You mean the cost/unit?

That has increased. Recently. Nationwide.

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Missed that first read - more than one day and night?  Indeed as said above they eat the electric - especially if older models or in need to cleaning.

Do u get your bill direct from electric company or via landlord

Archived