Electricity going up every month

Kenny202

The Electricity bills are by no means transparent or easy to understand.

The units used bears little relation to the cost of this (although a higher usage does result in a higher per/unit cost).  There is then a fixed 38.22 bt monthly fee added. Then a "Fuel Surcharge" (which is currently a 0.116 bt/u reduction).  This gives a subtotal, to which VAT is added at 7%.  If you then calculate a net cost per until it is rarely the same, but it always a little higher the more units used.

In July, my meter was read incorrectly (100u low) and my net cost was 3.75bt/u (a little lower than my typical 3.8-3.9 bt/u).  This month they corrected the reading, and so my net cost was significantly higher at 4.1 bt/u (although if there has been a price increase this could account for some of this extra).

fwiw, my usual usage is 150-200 u/mon.  No A/C's, a couple of fridges, kettle, microwave, etc, TV occasionally, but lots of fans...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Thai neighbour has the answer. He lifts the meter off the mounting for a few hours each day and lets it hang at 90 degrees - front facing the ground - and this stops it turning. He has a large 8 room house with 5 Air con units and his bill last month was just over 1000 baht. He is savy enough to always replace the meter on the day it is read.

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are some members convinced electric is going up?

Not the case at all, this months bill 657 baht, same time period last year 698 baht, 2 years ago 628 baht.

Also the amount per unit has not increased.

Yep, agree with you on that colinneil

This months 1,711.07 baht, last year same month 1,660.05 baht.

Consumption for same periods:

This month 415, last year 408, so the slight increase in our price of 50 odd baht this month vs the same period last year, would be for the extra 7 units we used this month vs same period last year.

I don't think it would be his TV, as for his freezer, YES, as I was looking to get one, I was told by 3 people who own shops, not too, get a 2nd fridge instead I was told as the freezers chew a lot juice so to speak, and as he mentioned its relatively new, he should if he could, disconnect it for a month and see how his next bill come in for the test. 

My power bill is about 9,000 THB, but I have a home office, so in business hours we're running about 12 computers, all the networking gear like switches, routers, printers, 2x 27k BTU aircons, then in my home portion i have an 83" telly, which is on from about 7pm-10pm, and from 6pm - 9am i'm running an 18k BTU aircon unit. I have 3 refrigerators, washing machine.

Maybe you're getting fitted up with the rate if the power consumption is the same as before.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

You mean the cost/unit?

That has increased. Recently. Nationwide.

Such a low increase that it's nearly unnoticeable. :wink:

My August bills:

2018: 430.96 B for 118 U -> 3.652 Baht/Unit

2019: 429.69 B for 116 U -> 3.704 Baht/Unit  (1.4% increase, far less than inflation)

The title of this thread seems though fully exaggerated :cool:

52 minutes ago, steve73 said:

The Electricity bills are by no means transparent or easy to understand.

The units used bears little relation to the cost of this (although a higher usage does result in a higher per/unit cost).  There is then a fixed 38.22 bt monthly fee added. Then a "Fuel Surcharge" (which is currently a 0.116 bt/u reduction).  This gives a subtotal, to which VAT is added at 7%.  If you then calculate a net cost per until it is rarely the same, but it always a little higher the more units used.

In July, my meter was read incorrectly (100u low) and my net cost was 3.75bt/u (a little lower than my typical 3.8-3.9 bt/u).  This month they corrected the reading, and so my net cost was significantly higher at 4.1 bt/u (although if there has been a price increase this could account for some of this extra).

fwiw, my usual usage is 150-200 u/mon.  No A/C's, a couple of fridges, kettle, microwave, etc, TV occasionally, but lots of fans...

It certainly isn't rocket science

the first 150 kWh is 3.2484

the next 250 kWh is 4.2218

over 400kWh is 4.4218

then the service charge 38.22

then the fuel charge (currently negative 

plus VAT & 7%

but if you don't want to bother with that then link for the calculator challenged

"From what I saw this morning the TV is needlessly consuming a lot of energy but on the other hand had the same TV 5 years and I don't think we leave it on any more now than we did before. I will certainly be turning it off when not in use from now on but I thought the LED TV's where pretty cheap to run? Should I turn it off at the point or standby ok?"

I don't think that the TV will be the problem. But whatever is in standby (everything that you can switch on with a remote. So also aircons.) are in the end partially switch on. This might degrade some electronic parts in the long run and you also risk damage at lightning etc. So I switch such things off completely if I don't use them. Only at OLED TVs you should read the instructions - some do regeneration work at the screen for a while when not in use. Here it is not a good idea to cut the power immediately. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Such a low increase that it's nearly unnoticeable. :wink:

My August bills:

2018: 430.96 B for 118 U -> 3.652 Baht/Unit

2019: 429.69 B for 116 U -> 3.704 Baht/Unit  (1.4% increase, far less than inflation)

The title of this thread seems though fully exaggerated :cool:

How is it exaggerated? I mean my electricity is going up. Usage and overall cost. Not necessarily the cost per unit. You sound like Scooby Doo trying to break the Miss Marples mystery?

What I have stated is a factual.  

On 8/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Off topic, but people like this are the people who cannot aclimatise to SE Asian weather and humidity.

And get ill & sick.

And moan its too hot...

Bar the hot season, Mar-May, there is no need to run aircon day & night.

In fact we live in one of the hottest provinces in Thailand, the only aircon is in the 3 bedrooms and they are only on night time all night in Mar-May, and hardly at all at this time of year.

And daytime is for getting out of the house, not stuck inside in an air con room.

Sorry, carry on.......

Off topic perhaps, but are you actually gatekeeping air con use? 

Perhaps you are just a superior human, though one would think such an evolved being would make allowances for us lesser folk who enjoy a cool room. 

Put a clamp on energy meter on each circuit for a day if you want answers. Everything else is speculation. 

One possibility though is your ACs are undersized and for the load with higher temperatures and humidities keeps the compressor running significantly longer. 

Surprised how low many people’s bills are; we have a 2010 47m2 condo in Bangkok that we spend 10-14 days a month in and the bill is 1000-1500B/month. We keep the bedroom at 24 at night and everything at 27 during the day. Air con is shut off when we are out, and we even unplug all the phone chargers and stuff. 

6 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Surprised how low many people’s bills are; we have a 2010 47m2 condo in Bangkok that we spend 10-14 days a month in and the bill is 1000-1500B/month. We keep the bedroom at 24 at night and everything at 27 during the day. Air con is shut off when we are out, and we even unplug all the phone chargers and stuff. 

So you have a tiny room You don't spend much time in and it doesn't cost much. Cool. 

On 8/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, Kenny202 said:

From what I saw this morning the TV is needlessly consuming a lot of energy but on the other hand had the same TV 5 years and I don't think we leave it on any more now than we did before.

Some Samsung models are known for having power supply problems by aging, which could be the cause. Might, or might not, be worth changing the power supply module (borard), compared to buying a new TV.

Only 5 years old should not be a big power-user, but I had Samsung TV with failing PSU in 5-years, and also an engineer friend had same problem (he ordered and changed the PSU himself). Try a Google-search and see if others have problems with same or similar Samsung-model.

Newer electronics in general use less power. My combined Samsung fridge/freezer began to die half a year ago, one of the two compressors began to fail, and I changed to an "linear inverter" LG – I have had good experience from before by changing electronics to LG – and my electric bill, which have been steady in use and money for 8 years, dropped more than 1,000 baht a month. Looked over an 8-year life-cycle that means 96 month of 1,000+ baht, or about 100,000 baht, which is more than the price of my combined fridge/freezer.

Buying electronics at bargain price for older price-reduced models, might not be worth it, compared to electric use; however, it can be difficult to know, as it might be more than just looking at the specs and calculate the time when a TV is in watch-use.

In you case I would consider replacing the TV – which seems to cost you 12k baht to 18k baht a year – a newer 42" flat screen TV can be probably be bought for one year's electrical surcharge, or less.

????

How old are your air con units and they need to be cleaned / serviced every year I can only conclude that this is the biggest user of your electric pull the TV plug out when not in use . I have all low voltage lighting , inverter wash machine and dryer and all my 18 btu aircon units are inverter which give me hot water throughout the house also I have 2 smart TVs a double door fridge a 21” Mac computer 2 iPads and phones I have a swimming pool on 8 hours a day and a turtle pond filter pump running 8 hours a day  my cctv 24/7 . My outdoor lights are all 4 watt each I have 20 of them which totals 80 watt  I have Mr Ken AC to DC ceiling fans which are super efficient and super quiet  I run my inverter air con units in lounge and bedroom between 6pm and midnight , my electric bill which includes a 300 baht service charge for my 30 KVA single phase transformer has never been above 3,000 baht my electricity works out at 5 baht per KW which includes the VAT . I only make these saving due to having modern efficient fittings that’s the only way to go these days , most of my stuff came directly from China even paying taxes worked out cheaper than what you pay in the Thai stores. Enclosed is copy of my last PEA bill 2,509.22 bht 

image.jpg

On August 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM, BritManToo said:

Aircon uses most electricity.

It's been hot this year, so the aircons will have been running full on, last year they would have been just ticking over most of the time. Stop using your aircon in the day, and just use a fan and open windows if you want to save money.

Fridge, freezer and tv cost almost nothing.

Yes, our bill for August was down Baht 2000 from the peak during the preceding few months when the heat was brutal.

I didn't read all the posts so maybe this suggestion was already made - you determined that on a given time of the day there was no electricity theft. Is it possible the theft takes place during a different time of the day? like in the evening when your neighbor turns on his AC? Or the streetlights have been hooked into your circuit?

The other source could certainly be in the meter. We have one electricity meter that we manage for the sub-divison street lights - it varies by factor 2 (!) over the time of the year, and the timer for the lights is at the same setting year round.........go figure.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:02 AM, BritManToo said:

Aircon uses most electricity.

It's been hot this year, so the aircons will have been running full on, last year they would have been just ticking over most of the time. Stop using your aircon in the day, and just use a fan and open windows if you want to save money.

Fridge, freezer and tv cost almost nothing.

That’s what I do. When spending months in Cambodia or Thailand I rent a decent apartment and never use a TV or A/C. I just use fans and open windows for air circulation, no matter the heat. 

My neighbors have commented and are shocked at how low my electricity bill is compared to theirs. I just smile and say “Yeah”.  And then explain why. I’m only in my apartment to sleep, shower and make the odd meal anyways. Otherwise I’m not there. 

Why would you make a post that you have an apartment, your barely there and your electricity bill is low?

That’s what I do. When spending months in Cambodia or Thailand I rent a decent apartment and never use a TV or A/C. I just use fans and open windows for air circulation, no matter the heat. 
   My neighbors have commented and are shocked at how low my electricity bill is compared to theirs. I just smile and say “Yeah”.  And then explain why. I’m only in my apartment to sleep, shower and make the odd meal anyways. Otherwise I’m not there. 

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, Kenny202 said:

We have a pump but do not use it as pressure here good. Did just have an over the top water bill though due to a faulty ball valve cock in the tank

Do you have not enough pressure to fill a tank without a pump?

What are you talking about? The tank fills from the mains side...up through the ball valve. The pump is on the outlet side of the tank, and as stated we dont use it as mains pressure enough. The ball cock was not shutting off and water spilling over the top of the tank. Nothing to do with my electricity bill?

Do you have not enough pressure to fill a tank without a pump?

On 8/26/2019 at 2:32 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

My electrical bill last month in Malaysia was 17 Ringit = 130 THB (without air-con) . House owner told me his aircon cost 2 Ringit per day per room = 16 THB, seems like the cost for electricity is much higher in Thailand than in Malaysia (My water bill was 3 Ringit for last month, think I use the same amount of water that I was charged around 300 THB for when living in Thailand)!  

Malaysia's Electrical cost is 50% of Thailand.  Malaysia is $0.06 per Kwh Thailand is $0.12 Kwh. 

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Why would you make a post that you have an apartment, your barely there and your electricity bill is low?

For the purpose of giving a hint of how to keep electricity bill nice and low. I don’t go to Southeast Asia to sit in my apartment. I can do that in my home country. I only use my apartment when in Cambodia or Thailand to sleep, shower, and make the odd meal if stuck inside during a hard rain. 

Otherwise I’m out and around spending time at temples or visiting Khmer or Thai friends or enjoying good small restaurant and street food. Enjoying the country and city. 

And I never turn the TV on...and I never turn my A/C on. Only a light or two if needed, and fans and open windows for the heat.

Result ???    Very very low Electric bill compared to my neighbors. 

This thread IS about Electric bills. Right ??? 

Archived