Electricity going up every month

Kenny202

25 minutes ago, Catoni said:

For the purpose of giving a hint of how to keep electricity bill nice and low. I don’t go to Southeast Asia to sit in my apartment. I can do that in my home country. I only use my apartment when in Cambodia or Thailand to sleep, shower, and make the odd meal if stuck inside during a hard rain. 

Otherwise I’m out and around spending time at temples or visiting Khmer or Thai friends or enjoying good small restaurant and street food. Enjoying the country and city. 

And I never turn the TV on...and I never turn my A/C on. Only a light or two if needed, and fans and open windows for the heat.

Result ???    Very very low Electric bill compared to my neighbors. 

This thread IS about Electric bills. Right ??? 

No. Its not a thread about electric bills. Its about me trying to find pssible solutions for an electricity bill thats doubled in 6 months. Simply going out al the time and not using electricity would be a great solution if I didnt have a missus and 2 kids

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teach everyone to switch off lights and other devices when not in the room or using the devices to save power use. Turn the AC down a degree or two to save power. Conserve on use everywhere you can and get hard core about it. Track your usage daily by reading your meter and show the family how much they use or save daily/weekly. From what I see the Thais leave lights and other appliances on when not needed. You can save just be tough about it. 

11 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Teach everyone to switch off lights and other devices when not in the room or using the devices to save power use. Turn the AC down a degree or two to save power. Conserve on use everywhere you can and get hard core about it. Track your usage daily by reading your meter and show the family how much they use or save daily/weekly. From what I see the Thais leave lights and other appliances on when not needed. You can save just be tough about it. 

No really. We're pretty good like that. Apart ftom air cons very little real usage. All my lights LED. Really my issue is nothing too much has chaned in 3 years, usage and the cost of electricty. 1500 baht cooler months rising to 2000- 2500 in the 3 hotter months. Albeit this year heat has been worse and more prolonged but July wasnt an overly hot month and its the highest its ever been. Theres definitely something wrong. Be interesting to check the meter as it is on one of the estate light poles and they installed new street lights about the same time my bill started climbing. Gonna shut everything off tonight after dark and go and check the meter

Ok. PEA came out this morning (much to my amazement). He put a tong on the load side of the meter and tested it for about 30 mins. He seems to think the meter is reading correct and that the last reading was incorrect by about 800 baht. How he could know what the reading was when the meter was read and can say it was read incorrect I don't know but we are getting a refund.

Unfortunately he seemed to be focussed on why the last months bill was so high as opposed to why the last 6 months have been so high. Put the bedroom Aircon on and draw about 5 amps. It was cycling on and off correctly too. Big Aircon in lounge room draw about 7.8 amps and also cycling on and off correctly. With air cons off and freezer and fridge compressors running draw about 1 amp surprisingly. So no big surprise. Air cons the big consumer but we have had the same air cons for the last 3 years and up until 6 months ago same bills every month. 1500 cooler months up to a max of 2500 hotter months. No doubt this year hotter but not that much. Last year not a hot summer but I remember 2 years ago 40 plus temps every day. Anyway, he has asked me to take meter readings every week for the next 3 weeks. Don't know what that will prove as there is no way he can know what appliances we are using but there you go. I will certainly be more aware of what we are doing. Normally have air cons on about 28 degrees. Rooms are very efficient and keep doors closed etc. I tried setting Air cons on auto but just doesn't seem to remove the humidity. All I can do know is just be more conscious of what we are doing and see what happens. Does the current draw on the air cons sound about right Crossy? I didn't get them to tong the TV.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Does the current draw on the air cons sound about right Crossy?

From your measurements I guess that your bedroom aircon is about 12,000 BTU and the lounge one Is 17,000 BTU. If my guess is correct than your consumptions are OK.

Did the man check your supply voltage?

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It certainly isn't rocket science

the first 150 kWh is 3.2484

the next 250 kWh is 4.2218

over 400kWh is 4.4218

then the service charge 38.22

then the fuel charge (currently negative 

plus VAT & 7%

but if you don't want to bother with that then link for the calculator challenged

Thank you... it was the breakdown for each tier I was wanting.

Going back over my previous bills, it appears the rate calculation was changed in Jan '19, but without the previous "tier" rates, it's not obvious by exactly how much. 

4 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Going back over my previous bills, it appears the rate calculation was changed in Jan '19, but without the previous "tier" rates, it's not obvious by exactly how much. 

As far as I know, the tier rates did not change in Jan 2019. The only change was that the Ft charge increased from -0.159 to -0.116 ie an increase of 0.043 per KWh.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

From your measurements I guess that your bedroom aircon is about 12,000 BTU and the lounge one Is 17,000 BTU. If my guess is correct than your consumptions are OK.

Did the man check your supply voltage?

Sorry Crossy. Forgot to mention voltage 228v. Air con lounge 18000 bedroom 12000

3 hours ago, ThaidDown said:
3 hours ago, steve73 said:

As far as I know, the tier rates did not change in Jan 2019. The only change was that the Ft charge increased from -0.159 to -0.116 ie an increase of 0.043 per KWh.

The average per kWh rates did change in January, a reasonably well publicised change, it was reported as 1.2% I didn't bother to note the exact change as it's not very significant. This report can be found by DASG and looking at the publication that we are not permitted to quote or link to

The average price was increased by the ERC to ฿3.6396 per kWh from ฿3.5966 kWh 

The method used to produce the change is not of much interest.

This produced an increase of about 35 Baht in our bill of about 3000 Baht.

Also the rates I quoted only apply to the 1.1.2 tariff, though this is the one that the vast majority of homes of people here are using. The official BOI information almost certainly contains some rounding as its numbers are slightly different from the actual ones.

IMG_8025.thumb.PNG.5c49678298d651512c6d9dcbfc61d004.PNG

38 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The average per kWh rates did change in January, a reasonably well publicised change, it was reported as 1.2% I didn't bother to note the exact change as it's not very significant. This report can be found by DASG and looking at the publication that we are not permitted to quote or link to

The average price was increased by the ERC to ฿3.6396 per kWh from ฿3.5966 kWh 

The method used to produce the change is not of much interest.

(Snip)

I was saying that the 'tiered' rates did not change ie 1st 150 next 250 etc which was correct. The increase was due to the change in the Ft charge which is applied to all units. As your figures show the average increased from 3.6396 to 3.5966 which equals 0.043 , the figure I quoted as the Ft change.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Kenny202 said:

I set our air cons fairly high at 28 but as I said we rent and they are standard not inverter type air cons. They are fairly newer Samsung units though and regularly cleaned / serviced properly. I will try putting them on auto however before I found them to be less efficient reducing humidity in auto mode. There is no doubt in my mind the air cons are our biggest user. I am not debating that  but when nothing has changed too much over the last 3 years hard to understand how our bills have near doubled last 6 months and continuing to rise even now it's cooler. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Kenny202 said:

I set our air cons fairly high at 28 but as I said we rent and they are standard not inverter type air cons. They are fairly newer Samsung units though and regularly cleaned / serviced properly. I will try putting them on auto however before I found them to be less efficient reducing humidity in auto mode. There is no doubt in my mind the air cons are our biggest user. I am not debating that  but when nothing has changed too much over the last 3 years hard to understand how our bills have near doubled last 6 months and continuing to rise even now it's cooler. 

Maybe an idea to visit your local PEA and ask for someone to check your house and maybe they can give you some answers. I don't think they charge for that service.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, Kenny202 said:

Freezer is full as is the fridge and not opened very much through the day. I think if there was some issue with the TV itself where it was drawing undue power it would not be working right?

Definitely though just going by eye watching the difference in the speed of the meter rotation this morning it was definitely the main power consumer. I couldn't say it was drawing more than the fridge and freezer as they may well have been cycled off when I checked although a fridge or a freezer I would have thought would have used much more power than a TV 

recheck the fridge and freezer with their doors open for a few minutes, to be sure they are running?  You could also check the internet to see how much power the TV is supposed to be using.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:12 AM, timendres said:

While this is a great contribution to the discussion, the OP is clearly attempting to explain the issue and whether or not it is related to usage, which speaks to your "don't use electricity" advice. I would be curious to know what rights or options Thai people have that Farangs do not when it comes to electricity bills.

My point was, Farangs have NO rights here.  It is futile to dispute/argue/or challenge (god forbid that) in Thailand.  I realize the OP situation but my intention is to convey the hopeless circumstances/rights we are subjected to and by.  So much are the extremes that there is very little or nothing one can do, only accept or leave.  Look at it this way, what do you suggest as a solution?  Seek legal counsel, ask for a review of the Statement, etc??  Sure one can do all that and more, but the outcome I doubt, based on experience and TVF submissions will resolve the issue, the result is a hopeless/futile outcome. 

3 hours ago, mike787 said:

My point was, Farangs have NO rights here.  It is futile to dispute/argue/or challenge (god forbid that) in Thailand.  I realize the OP situation but my intention is to convey the hopeless circumstances/rights we are subjected to and by.  So much are the extremes that there is very little or nothing one can do, only accept or leave.  Look at it this way, what do you suggest as a solution?  Seek legal counsel, ask for a review of the Statement, etc??  Sure one can do all that and more, but the outcome I doubt, based on experience and TVF submissions will resolve the issue, the result is a hopeless/futile outcome. 

Absolute negative scare mongering drivel. I am surprised the Thais are so welcoming to us with all of the haters on here

It’s been my experience that people that squeal about how unfair things are, or how poorly they are treated are typically rude cheaters.

“Them what bite, gonna get bit. Them what don’t bite, gonna damn sure get ate up” JDH ‘77

Hi, here are two references, electrical appliances power consumption charts (various) 

https://www.google.com/search?q=electrical+appliances+power+consumption+chart&rlz=1C1GKLB_enAU665AU666&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oPy3g44Uz6lXwM%3A%2CpZo9OQC6stEryM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQEsn1GDHN2sMr2EudqELWOkWhuEg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTyPOUh6zkAhUQ6XMBHYI0D9EQ9QEwCnoECAQQBg#imgrc=Gh71lJ3yyfe6jM:&vet=1

And The Thailand Electricity Tariffs as of Nov 2018 (assume still current) 

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

As a past sparkie I am sure with you known household active appliances and these two references you can calculate what your approximate typical seasonal monthly electricity bills should be based on consumption. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my latest electricity bill and gone from nearly 4000 baht to 1400 baht? <deleted>?

We ended up getting a guy to come out test everything he said it was fine and reckoned the meter was reading ok. We also had to go to PEA and see them because the guy who tested the meter said the last guy who took the reading took the reading too high. Like how would you know after the fact what the reading was the day the guy took it? Like the land of fairy tales here.

Strangely PEA told my girl in the future they "would take care of us because they know farang not like use electric too much" or thats how she translated it anyway. They were going to reduce our bill by 600 baht this time. I can't see that anywhere on the bill but my missus reckons they have reduced the reading by what they over charged last time. I don't even know how the guy could read the meter. It's about 8 feet high and there is no way you could read it or scan it sitting on a motorbike which is what he does. I had to get on a 4' step ladder to see it clearly.

The funny thing is it looks like our Kw consumption hasn't dropped that much.

Last 6 months....

899  808  816  814  837  and this month 780

Buggered if I know?

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Just got my latest electricity bill and gone from nearly 4000 baht to 1400 baht?

Wow your consumption has dropped a lot 

last months bill should be 3,655 

This month should be 3,392

you can check the others your self https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

Archived