PCI HDMI card

wayned

Anybody have any experience installig a PCI HDMI card in their desktop to connect to aan HD TV through an HDMI cable?  The price of the cards vary from 800 baht to over 15000 baht on Lazada depending on the video grafic .  I only want to use the output to srtream some news programs and provide a larger display due to my failing eyesight.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given your use case, I'd just go for something like a GT1030 but even an old GT730 or similar would do the job. 

How old is your computer?  If it's relatively new, then you may need to get a PCI-E card, an important difference. (JamJar just beat me to it)

The purists would also say your CPU and graphics card should balance.  What is in your computer?

if you only want to read News etc

Guess  you have 'on board' Graphics? so have a VGA connector on PC ??  if yes then all you need is the VGA to HDMI Connector..  Look on Lazada...  cost from 69 baht.. 

100"s here    

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.search.4.388e6e675QRHJn&q=vga to hdmi adapter&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--9157838533973438244__abId--135803__pvid--63720e9a-e4aa-4e87-b56a-6196c5432f9f&from=suggest_normal&sugg=vga to hdmi adapter_3_1

33 minutes ago, ignis said:

if you only want to read News etc

Guess  you have 'on board' Graphics? so have a VGA connector on PC ??  if yes then all you need is the VGA to HDMI Connector..  Look on Lazada...  cost from 69 baht.. 

100"s here    

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.search.4.388e6e675QRHJn&q=vga to hdmi adapter&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--9157838533973438244__abId--135803__pvid--63720e9a-e4aa-4e87-b56a-6196c5432f9f&from=suggest_normal&sugg=vga to hdmi adapter_3_1

Erm...no.

Be careful with that. The ones for 69 baht are actually HDMI to VGA.

The OP needs VGA+Audio to HDMI. Those are there, though a little more expensive.

My system is a very old 32 vbit system, Intel pentium 4 3.00GHZ, 200GB RAM, Windows 7, 500GB Kingston  HDD and 240GB Toshiba flash drive (just installed and really speeds up the system).  As JamJar said the 69 baht units are HDMI to VGA.  I found a VGA to HDMI unit on Lazada for about 300 baht, they need to be connected not only to the VGA oitput plug but also to the audio output plug and a USB port for power.  If I use the converter route I would not be able to connect my normal monitor to the VGA output which I want to do.  The PCI HDMI cards have both VGA and HDMI plugs so I can use both.  Laxada has cards for around 800 baht from China.  The thing that I am worried about i s whether they will work with a 32 bit system and there is very little technical information provided on the Lazada site.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

My system is a very old 32 vbit system, Intel pentium 4 3.00GHZ, 200GB RAM, Windows 7, 500GB Kingston  HDD and 240GB Toshiba flash drive (just installed and really speeds up the system).  As JamJar said the 69 baht units are HDMI to VGA.  I found a VGA to HDMI unit on Lazada for about 300 baht, they need to be connected not only to the VGA oitput plug but also to the audio output plug and a USB port for power.  If I use the converter route I would not be able to connect my normal monitor to the VGA output which I want to do.  The PCI HDMI cards have both VGA and HDMI plugs so I can use both.  Laxada has cards for around 800 baht from China.  The thing that I am worried about i s whether they will work with a 32 bit system and there is very little technical information provided on the Lazada site.

Does your system have a brand name and model number? One needs to know what Motherboard is within.

One way to find out is to install and run CPU-Z; http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.89-en.exe

236_01_new1.gif

Once you have installed and run the program and the interface has opened, click on the Mainboard/Motherboard tab and post the information produced by your report. A screenshot is best, if you know how.

That way we can see what kind of Graphics card you can fit.

You really should think about upgrading your system.

In the UK, you can get a much upgraded specification for perhaps 2000 baht, for the whole tower. Typical CPU Pentium G3220 which is perhaps nine times more powerful than you current CPU in conjunction with 4 GB of faster RAM. All this for 2000 baht. I don't know how much the equivalent in Thailand.

If it turns out that your PC doesn't even have a PCIe x16 port, I would not bother to go further with it.

Better to spend the money on another PC, as AGP x8 Graphics cards aren't great and can be relatively expensive.

Here's an example of what you could get in Thailand; https://www.thailandallit.com/product/8/dell-optiplex-7010-รุ่น-top-pc-dell-มือสอง-pc-dell-ราคาถูก

The CPU is more than ten times as power as your current Processor. You could pop your new SSD in as the Boot drive.

You'll be amazed at the difference between your PC and the Optiplex 7010 with it's Intel® Core™ i3-3210 processor.

For a start the PC will be able to play and output Full HD 1080 H.264 video without the need for any graphics card. So probably any video that you will download and play.

Your up to fifteen year old PC might not be able to do that, even with a graphics card. 

You might find it cheaper elsewhere or something else entirely. I just ran a cursory search.

Let's see what Motherboard you have currently, before proceeding.

Yeah, the motherboard is not that old, less than 1 year, and I still have the box..  It says Socket 775 SVL. PCI-E, PCI, DDR2, SATA.

It's a LONGWELL LWC G31LMs. 

The computer was custom built in 2006, when floppy disks were the thing, and has been upgraded and changed since then, new motherboard twice, added a second dvd, canned the floppy drive, upgraded the HDD and added the flash drive.  The brand is "Trash Picker 1".:stoner:

Will a card with a

PCI Express 3.0 x16 (uses x4) work? 

The specs on the cheapd ones from china are impossible to find.  I,m looking at this one from Lazada:  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/msi-geforce-gt-1030-aero-itx-2g-oc-advice-exp-31-05-2563-i386648458-s751338818.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.1b676108flztEH

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Will a card with a

PCI Express 3.0 x16 (uses x4) work? 

The specs on the cheapd ones from china are impossible to find.  I,m looking at this one from Lazada:  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/msi-geforce-gt-1030-aero-itx-2g-oc-advice-exp-31-05-2563-i386648458-s751338818.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.1b676108flztEH

No, I would not choose that one. It's a double height card and we don't know anything about the power supply fitted.

This is the slot you have for Graphics: 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

The first thing that you should do is to change the CPU. It is dire. That is what is holding your system back.

They are cheap enough.

Example: https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Intel+Core+2+Duo+E6850+&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.pdp.search.go.4502748elpKtqP

You'll see a significant difference in performance once you've changed the CPU. Especially now you have fitted an SSD. But your processor is really holding it back.

Once you upgrade the CPU, something as simple as this; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ati-radeontmhd-5450-1gb-i401586055-s780334887.html will do for Full HD on your TV. Though it's overpriced for what it is.

THanks!  I ordered the processor, the card and a 10 meter cable today.  All are supposed to be here by Saturday so we'll see how it goes.  The card was therlast one in stock, I hope that the small company that supies it has kept the Lazada stock system up to date.

4 hours ago, wayned said:

THanks!  I ordered the processor, the card and a 10 meter cable today.  All are supposed to be here by Saturday so we'll see how it goes.  The card was therlast one in stock, I hope that the small company that supies it has kept the Lazada stock system up to date.

You don't procrastinate. ????

I was motivated by the fact that the website said "only one left".  I ordered  and paid for something from Lazada in early July that showed in stock and the next day they cancelled the order because the vendor did noy have the part.  Even though their website says that the refund will be made in 7 days, I have been fighting wuth them ever since to get my money back.  I receved an email from them two days ago asking for a copy of my passport and the first page of my bankbook "for security reasons" due to the THai goverment restricting refunds due to a new anti money laundering act passed in May.  I sent them the documents and recieved and email from them yesterday stating that my account would ne credited within 7 days.  Right, money laundering, I t was only 450 baht!!!  TIT!

Their website says that all of the parts have been shipped, however, I only recieved a Kerry Expresss tracking number for one of them!

Lazada everything I buy always use Cash on delivery.. likewise always click 'local' = is already in Thailand..

Bought lots of different stuff......... monthly buy both 20 kg sacks of Dog food and Fish food.. cheaper than supermarkets and delivered to the door.

15 hours ago, wayned said:

I was motivated by the fact that the website said "only one left".  I ordered  and paid for something from Lazada in early July that showed in stock and the next day they cancelled the order because the vendor did noy have the part.  Even though their website says that the refund will be made in 7 days, I have been fighting wuth them ever since to get my money back.  I receved an email from them two days ago asking for a copy of my passport and the first page of my bankbook "for security reasons" due to the THai goverment restricting refunds due to a new anti money laundering act passed in May.  I sent them the documents and recieved and email from them yesterday stating that my account would ne credited within 7 days.  Right, money laundering, I t was only 450 baht!!!  TIT!

Their website says that all of the parts have been shipped, however, I only recieved a Kerry Expresss tracking number for one of them!

I've just received my HDMI to VGA with a sound cable ( VGA doesn't deliver sound). I need it for my DELL notebook that only has a VGA connection and there's no way to change the card.

It was 300 something baht from China. Is that something for you?

I still gotta test it. 

HDMI to WGA.jpg

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've just received my HDMI to VGA with a sound cable ( VGA doesn't deliver sound). I need it for my DELL notebook that only has a VGA connection and there's no way to change the card.

It was 300 something baht from China. Is that something for you?

I still gotta test it. 

HDMI to WGA.jpg

No, I I just recieved the PCI HDMI card that fits into thePCI slot in my desktop.  Cost 590 baht from Lazada, avaiable locally.  I want use the VGA output to drive the monitor whem I am not watching TV and with the adapter that you bought you can't do that without changining cables.  I also got a new processor to speed things up.  I plan to install it today and see if it works.  I doubt that it is "plug and play" so the next event will be finding the right driver but I think that I have located one.  This is not an option for a laptop.

5 hours ago, wayned said:

No, I I just recieved the PCI HDMI card that fits into thePCI slot in my desktop.  Cost 590 baht from Lazada, avaiable locally.  I want use the VGA output to drive the monitor whem I am not watching TV and with the adapter that you bought you can't do that without changining cables.  I also got a new processor to speed things up.  I plan to install it today and see if it works.  I doubt that it is "plug and play" so the next event will be finding the right driver but I think that I have located one.  This is not an option for a laptop.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5450

You really should have 4GB of RAM installed; DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DIMM example.

As is usual, more expensive to buy from Thailand;

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/desktop-memory-2gb-2g-800mhz-pc2-6400-ddr2-pc-ram-wide-version-chip-800-6400-2g-240-pin-kvr800d2n62g-ykq-store-i358704059-s703724556.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/desktop-memory-4gb-2pcsx2gb-4g-800mhz-pc2-6400-ddr2-pc-ram-wide-version-chip-800-6400-240-pin-ykq-store-i358696374-s703742132.html

With Windows 10, there is usually no need to look for Drivers at all.

CPU will just work. But do you have thermal paste at hand? You will need that and alcohol wipes in order to clean away the old and to reapply new thermal paste.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

With Windows 10, there is usually no need to look for Drivers at all.

CPU will just work. But do you have thermal paste at hand? You will need that and alcohol wipes in order to clean away the old and to reapply new thermal paste.

I don't have any thermal paste on hand but the localcomputer guy in the village 12 kilometers away should have it even if I have to "steal" a bit from his workshop.  He owns the local phone shop and I wouldn't take anything to him for repair more complicated than my calculator which needs new batteries.  I've got to go to the village this afternoon anyway., isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China and might take a while.

As most things that I do on a "whim", it ends up costing me more than I expected and when it's done I often wonder if I really needed to do it.  I have a brand new gas powered "weed wacker" that hasn't been started I 8 years.  The day after I bought it I took a nose dive off a ladder, broke my hip and had a hip replacement.  It's kinda hard to use the freaking thing while holding a cane!!!

Windows 10, you got to be kidding!  I was just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP  which is the system that most have here in the "boonies". This isn't Bangkok, I spent the other night harvesting corn driving one of the John Deere combines that I imported from the US.

39 minutes ago, wayned said:

I don't have any thermal paste on hand but the localcomputer guy in the village 12 kilometers away should have it even if I have to "steal" a bit from his workshop.  He owns the local phone shop and I wouldn't take anything to him for repair more complicated than my calculator which needs new batteries.  I've got to go to the village this afternoon anyway., isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China and might take a while.

As most things that I do on a "whim", it ends up costing me more than I expected and when it's done I often wonder if I really needed to do it.  I have a brand new gas powered "weed wacker" that hasn't been started I 8 years.  The day after I bought it I took a nose dive off a ladder, broke my hip and had a hip replacement.  It's kinda hard to use the freaking thing while holding a cane!!!

Windows 10, you got to be kidding!  I was just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP  which is the system that most have here in the "boonies". This isn't Bangkok, I spent the other night harvesting corn driving one of the John Deere combines that I imported from the US.

isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China   

Why ??

is 15 baht + p&p to expensive ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/heatsink-silicone-thermal-grease-compound-paste-cpu-gpu-1-hy510-i386440997-s751042356.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.9.35404b24HjupJG&search=1

44 minutes ago, ignis said:

isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China   

Why ??

is 15 baht + p&p to expensive ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/heatsink-silicone-thermal-grease-compound-paste-cpu-gpu-1-hy510-i386440997-s751042356.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.9.35404b24HjupJG&search=1

Part of the post got left oiut and I didn't read it before I posted it.  I was talking about buying 2GB or 4GB ram.  It's avaiable through Lazada but comes from China.  I found the same on Advice and can get it here  in a couple of days.

Archived