PCI HDMI card

wayned

2 hours ago, wayned said:

Part of the post got left oiut and I didn't read it before I posted it.  I was talking about buying 2GB or 4GB ram.  It's avaiable through Lazada but comes from China.  I found the same on Advice and can get it here  in a couple of days.

Yes also found often Advise is as cheap + if you are going anyplace and pass an Advice shop it is often even cheaper than there website price...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, wayned said:

Part of the post got left oiut and I didn't read it before I posted it.  I was talking about buying 2GB or 4GB ram.  It's avaiable through Lazada but comes from China.  I found the same on Advice and can get it here  in a couple of days.

What do you have in there currently?

CPU-Z will tell you without you needing to open her up. Under SPD and Memory.

10 hours ago, wayned said:

I don't have any thermal paste on hand but the localcomputer guy in the village 12 kilometers away should have it even if I have to "steal" a bit from his workshop.  He owns the local phone shop and I wouldn't take anything to him for repair more complicated than my calculator which needs new batteries.  I've got to go to the village this afternoon anyway., isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China and might take a while.

As most things that I do on a "whim", it ends up costing me more than I expected and when it's done I often wonder if I really needed to do it.  I have a brand new gas powered "weed wacker" that hasn't been started I 8 years.  The day after I bought it I took a nose dive off a ladder, broke my hip and had a hip replacement.  It's kinda hard to use the freaking thing while holding a cane!!!

Windows 10, you got to be kidding!  I was just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP  which is the system that most have here in the "boonies". This isn't Bangkok, I spent the other night harvesting corn driving one of the John Deere combines that I imported from the US.

When it's done, the PC will be a lot more versatile. You can have YouTube or your own music playing whilst surfing with multiple pages at the same time(though you should use a browser that gets rid of most of the clutter). Project HD/Full HD media to your TV without stuttering.

Windows 7 soon to become unsupported, so perhaps best to take the leap before you are pushed.

With 4GB you should install the 64 bit version of whichever you choose.

12 hours ago, wayned said:

I don't have any thermal paste on hand but the localcomputer guy in the village 12 kilometers away should have it even if I have to "steal" a bit from his workshop.  He owns the local phone shop and I wouldn't take anything to him for repair more complicated than my calculator which needs new batteries.  I've got to go to the village this afternoon anyway., isf I can't find it "locally" I'll order it from Lazada but it's shipped from China and might take a while.

As most things that I do on a "whim", it ends up costing me more than I expected and when it's done I often wonder if I really needed to do it.  I have a brand new gas powered "weed wacker" that hasn't been started I 8 years.  The day after I bought it I took a nose dive off a ladder, broke my hip and had a hip replacement.  It's kinda hard to use the freaking thing while holding a cane!!!

Windows 10, you got to be kidding!  I was just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP  which is the system that most have here in the "boonies". This isn't Bangkok, I spent the other night harvesting corn driving one of the John Deere combines that I imported from the US.

You can still upgrade for free! I'm totally happy with W 10 pro.

But you need to have W 7 Ultimate and it has to be activated at the time of the upgrade.

If that doesn't work, I'll send you a W 10 Pro key for free. I've bought a bunch of them from ebay and wouldn't mind to help you out. 

40 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You can still upgrade for free! I'm totally happy with W 10 pro.

But you need to have W 7 Ultimate and it has to be activated at the time of the upgrade.

If that doesn't work, I'll send you a W 10 Pro key for free. I've bought a bunch of them from ebay and wouldn't mind to help you out. 

7 Ultimate or 7 Professional will do for a 10 Pro upgrade.

But nice of you to offer the free key. A clean install to the SSD is recommended.

Nothing of which to be afraid with the move to Windows 10 Pro; https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1903.frag

I recommend following that guide up to the point before LET IT DOWNLOAD ALL THE UPDATES.

Then to install https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/ free version.

I went and got the gell, I really didn't need it as there was still a "wad" on the old processor that was put there a couple of months ago.  I nstalled the card and downloaded the driver.  All was working well when connected to the monitor with VGA.  I then connected the HDMI to the TV and  and the displays on both screens were unusablejust pdifferent pictures.  I unplugged the HDMI and the monitoior was back to normal.  I then unplugged the VGA to the monitor and plugeged in The HDMI to the TV, it worked fine.  I plugged the vga back in and the signal was "loaded down".  I also tried another TV with the HDMI and it was the same.  So I can watch HD on either the TV or the Monitor but not both at the same time.  Brown out, UPS is beeping going off line for now!

Viltage back up to 232VAC so I'm back on line:  In summary the VGA works to the MOnitor.  The HDMI works to the tV.  When the VGA and HDMI are connected at the same time the signal is loaded down and neither display is correct.

The XFX website says that the card is "dual monitor ready". but unless I have one of the settings wrong on the driver insrtallation this card isn't.  I tried to send XFX Customer Support a message but the site requires you to register and requires the serial number of the card before you can submit your request.  It's not displayed on CPUID so I'll have to pull the card and see if I can find it!

Before I upgrade to Windows 10, I'll start a new build from scratch.  Currently have Windos7 Ultimate.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Viltage back up to 232VAC so I'm back on line:  In summary the VGA works to the MOnitor.  The HDMI works to the tV.  When the VGA and HDMI are connected at the same time the signal is loaded down and neither display is correct.

The XFX website says that the card is "dual monitor ready". but unless I have one of the settings wrong on the driver insrtallation this card isn't.  I tried to send XFX Customer Support a message but the site requires you to register and requires the serial number of the card before you can submit your request.  It's not displayed on CPUID so I'll have to pull the card and see if I can find it!

Before I upgrade to Windows 10, I'll start a new build from scratch.  Currently have Windos7 Ultimate.

You can clean install and activate, by using the gatherosstate method; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

Can talk you through it if it doesn't make sense.

Will take a look at the card to see if it can do what is needed. Need to eat first.

Before I go....have you connected both monitors to the Graphics card?

I imagine that you may still have one connected to the internal graphics. You'll need to connect both to the graphics card if you want to control them with the AMD software.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

I went and got the gell, I really didn't need it as there was still a "wad" on the old processor that was put there a couple of months ago.  I nstalled the card and downloaded the driver.  All was working well when connected to the monitor with VGA.  I then connected the HDMI to the TV and  and the displays on both screens were unusablejust pdifferent pictures.  I unplugged the HDMI and the monitoior was back to normal.  I then unplugged the VGA to the monitor and plugeged in The HDMI to the TV, it worked fine.  I plugged the vga back in and the signal was "loaded down".  I also tried another TV with the HDMI and it was the same.  So I can watch HD on either the TV or the Monitor but not both at the same time.  Brown out, UPS is beeping going off line for now!

I'm guessing that you have the display settings set to "extend" which is designed for people to have "different" apps on both display whern working with multiple different programs.  Somewhere in the display settings there will be  a setting for multiple displays that you need to set to "clone" or "duplicate". Do you have a green Nvidia Icon in the bottom right of the screen next to (or near) the clock?

28 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I'm guessing that you have the display settings set to "extend" which is designed for people to have "different" apps on both display whern working with multiple different programs.  Somewhere in the display settings there will be  a setting for multiple displays that you need to set to "clone" or "duplicate". Do you have a green Nvidia Icon in the bottom right of the screen next to (or near) the clock?

I have the AMD Radeon icon at the bottom.  When I click on it I get multiple settings but only for the monitor currently plugged into the card, currently VGA.  I assume that I will get the same screen for the TV plugged into the HDMI output.  However' I can not  get the menu when both devices are installed since the system freezes and I expect that the settings you asked me to check would be on that menu.

JAMJAR:  I am only using the connectors on the graphics card.  The internal graphics plug has no output.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

I have the AMD Radeon icon at the bottom.  When I click on it I get multiple settings but only for the monitor currently plugged into the card, currently VGA.  I assume that I will get the same screen for the TV plugged into the HDMI output.  However' I can not  get the menu when both devices are installed since the system freezes and I expect that the settings you asked me to check would be on that menu.

JAMJAR:  I am only using the connectors on the graphics card.  The internal graphics plug has no output.

https://community.amd.com/thread/230948

Thanks, disabling HDCP worked for me!

I went to Display in the Radeon Setting. Selected my TV, which is connected via HDMI, and clicked on 'Specs'.

Even though it said Disabled under 'Current HDCP Status' you need to go to 'Override' and select to disable 'HDCP Support' and restart.

After that, the freezes disappeared.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

The two monitor problem is solved the AMD Rep from HK emailed me, even though my message to them didn't indicate that it was sent.  He knew exactly what the problem was.  I was changing/installing the HDMI connector without powering down the system.  I connected a TV and the monitor and powered it up, both screens came on . The monitor was OK but the TV was magnified so that it cut off all of the icons.  I screwed around with the AMD menu items and finally solved the problem, I don't have a clue what I did but it's OK now.  Now the only problem is getting audio through the HDMI cable.  I have audion to the external speakers but when I switch the sound to AMD HDMI I get nothing on the TV speakers.  (yes, the TV does have speakers)  I'll continue tomorrow.  It's time to walk the dogs, SSS and eat something and then take a long nap until about 2300.  Up and back at'm when it's cool and the US CNN USA daily news is on which I can stream, see who Trump trashed this time and continue my adventure!

1 hour ago, wayned said:

The two monitor problem is solved the AMD Rep from HK emailed me, even though my message to them didn't indicate that it was sent.  He knew exactly what the problem was.  I was changing/installing the HDMI connector without powering down the system.  I connected a TV and the monitor and powered it up, both screens came on . The monitor was OK but the TV was magnified so that it cut off all of the icons.  I screwed around with the AMD menu items and finally solved the problem, I don't have a clue what I did but it's OK now.  Now the only problem is getting audio through the HDMI cable.  I have audion to the external speakers but when I switch the sound to AMD HDMI I get nothing on the TV speakers.  (yes, the TV does have speakers)  I'll continue tomorrow.  It's time to walk the dogs, SSS and eat something and then take a long nap until about 2300.  Up and back at'm when it's cool and the US CNN USA daily news is on which I can stream, see who Trump trashed this time and continue my adventure!

That's one of the annoyances of Windows that I haven't found a way round yet.  When you want to use sound through the TV, click on the speaker icon in the task bar.  You then should be able to access a drop-down menu and select the TV as the sound device.  You'll need to change it back again when you want to use the speakers.

9 hours ago, wayned said:

You just made sure that the resolution of the TV matched with the output of the graphics card. Dependent on whether an HD resolution or Full HD resolution; 1280p x 720p or 1920p x 1080p respectively. Your PC monitor possibly has slightly different resolution if not Full HD.

Right-click the volume control icon on the bottom taskbar and click on Playback Devices to open the pop-up window for sound options. In the Playback tab, select Digital Output Device or HDMI as the default device, click Set Default and click OK to save the changes. 

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

You just made sure that the resolution of the TV matched with the output of the graphics card. Dependent on whether an HD resolution or Full HD resolution; 1280p x 720p or 1920p x 1080p respectively. Your PC monitor possibly has slightly different resolution if not Full HD.

I screwed with resolution until I was blue in the face and nothing changed,. I really don't know what I did to get the picture the right size and fully expected that when I powered it down and back up the problem would be back.  As far as the audio psoblem I'mm well aware of the sound output control selection menu and tried it many times.  The HK rep said that I should select AMD before I started the application as many finctions are not "dynamic"  I tried that but no luck.  The next thing that I wiill try is to select AMD as the default power down and back up.

Time to go get a bottle of compressed air and some electrical cleaner spray (from the shop outside).  I have a compressor and bought a SS spray bottle that can be filled with air- also any liquid.  Best thing that I bought since I got here other than food and beer.  The unused HDMI connector on ther TV is really dirty!

20 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

That's one of the annoyances of Windows that I haven't found a way round yet.  When you want to use sound through the TV, click on the speaker icon in the task bar.  You then should be able to access a drop-down menu and select the TV as the sound device.  You'll need to change it back again when you want to use the speakers.

Not at my PC with W 10 Pro. When the TV is connected via HDMI the start up takes a bit longer, but sound and picture is working flawlessly.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer W 10 to W 7. 

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

When the TV is connected via HDMI the start up takes a bit

How much is a bit?  Mine is taking minutes.  I syus[ect that  my pwr supply is too small for the card.  I'll check the next time that I open the case next week when I install more RAM.  The Users manal states.  The user's manual states that if there is insufficent power it is detected and the clock speed is dlowed down to keep from overloading the supply making the computer slower.  The initial start up s very long but after that, if I turn it off and back on afew minutes later, it's much faster.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

How much is a bit?  Mine is taking minutes.  I syus[ect that  my pwr supply is too small for the card.  I'll check the next time that I open the case next week when I install more RAM.  The Users manal states.  The user's manual states that if there is insufficent power it is detected and the clock speed is dlowed down to keep from overloading the supply making the computer slower.  The initial start up s very long but after that, if I turn it off and back on afew minutes later, it's much faster.

Without the TV, an "intelligent" Samsung that isn't very wise, the PC boots within a minute.

When HDMI is connected, it takes up to two minutes, or more. Even the via VGA connected screen takes much longer to show anything.

First, I thought I had a PC problem, but it seem to be normal with older PC's. 

You could boot it without the PC attached then connect the HDMI.

But that's with W 10 Pro, no idea how good W 7 is. I've never tried that before.

Considering that W 7 isn't much longer supported, if I were you, I'd upgrade it to 10.

My offer stands, I can send you a free W 10 Pro activation key, if you don't wanna go the W 7 upgrade way. 

Once you've more DDR RAM, it should be faster. 

Yeah, two ,imutes seems like a lifetime. With Windows 7 the HDMI connector must be connected, at least with an XFX 5450 card.  If you connect tit afterit's booted both the VGA and HDMI displays are bad. My old Samsung plasma unit says no signal until the booting is complete and then the picture comes on.  My 32" Sony dshows the same display as the VGA monitor during boot "windows is starting"

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Yeah, two ,imutes seems like a lifetime. With Windows 7 the HDMI connector must be connected, at least with an XFX 5450 card.  If you connect tit afterit's booted both the VGA and HDMI displays are bad. My old Samsung plasma unit says no signal until the booting is complete and then the picture comes on.  My 32" Sony dshows the same display as the VGA monitor during boot "windows is starting"

Honestly, now so used to W 10, I wouldn't want to go back to 7 and download drivers that don't work,etc..

Things would be quite different if you upgrade to the new 1903 version of W 10 Pro. ( Key will be free for you)

https://www.itechtics.com/windows-10-download-iso/

Or you upgrade: 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Have a good one! 

17 hours ago, wayned said:

Your start up time should be around 30 seconds. Did you clean install the operating system to the SSD when you obtained it?

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Your start up time should be around 30 seconds. Did you clean install the operating system to the SSD when you obtained it?

Mt older PC I've attached to our Super Intelligent Samsung TV needs much longer to start up when the HDMI cable is attached. I'd have thought it's also about the processor speed and of course the memory.

W 10 Pro usually 42 seconds without and 1.5 minutes with HDMI....

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Mt older PC I've attached to our Super Intelligent Samsung TV needs much longer to start up when the HDMI cable is attached. I'd have thought it's also about the processor speed and of course the memory.

W 10 Pro usually 42 seconds without and 1.5 minutes with HDMI....

My nine year old laptop with Pentium Dual Core CPU, 4GB of RAM and an SSD takes around 30 seconds.

Doesn't have an HDMI output.

The OP's start up time is already too long.

With 4GB of RAM and a clean install of Windows 10 64 bit, that should go down to closer to 30 seconds.

Finally fixed my boot time problem.  The only thing that was left was the HDD or the power supply, so I unhoked the HDD and used it for a couple of days with no change.  I "borrowed" a new power supply from the local guy and now everything is fine.  I also installed another 2GB of RAM.  Now my boot time is repeatable at around 30 seconds and everytin is much faster.

I put Windows 10 upgrade on hold until I replace the whole mess, or it outlives me:stoner:

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Finally fixed my boot time problem.  The only thing that was left was the HDD or the power supply, so I unhoked the HDD and used it for a couple of days with no change.  I "borrowed" a new power supply from the local guy and now everything is fine.  I also installed another 2GB of RAM.  Now my boot time is repeatable at around 30 seconds and everytin is much faster.

I put Windows 10 upgrade on hold until I replace the whole mess, or it outlives me:stoner:

Confused. I thought you bought 2 x 2 GB of RAM. It seemed you had 2 x 1 GB on-board. You didn't show the SPD screenshot, but it looked that way. So just 3GB of RAM installed?

8 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Confused. I thought you bought 2 x 2 GB of RAM. It seemed you had 2 x 1 GB on-board. You didn't show the SPD screenshot, but it looked that way. So just 3GB of RAM installed?

I did buy 2 x 2GB of Ram and replaced the 2 x 1GB of RAM that was in the computer so I now have 4GB of RAM. I had 2GB and now have 4GB so  I "added" 2GB of RAM.  It made sense to me!  I can buy 2 x 4GB of RAM for 348 baht and replace the 2 x2GB of RAm that is there now and then I would add another4GB of RAM and have 8GB of RAM.  The questionis will it make it any faster than it is now?

image.png.155230fde9168bb06ed62df379f465fe.png

Download the small gadget on your desktop so you can easily monitor your RAM usage.

that way you will know if you need to add more Ram..

eg: I have 16 GB [4 x 4GB] I like to have a few windows open at the same time... it uses about 44 - 56%  if I take 3 out so only have 4 GB it tries to run = slow and keep stopping at 96 - 99%..  [edit: use Windows 10 - 64 Bit]

The main question is are you running 64 Bit ? You said on 1st page you are running 32 bit then NO adding more Ram will do nothing as far as I can remember 4 GB is the Max you can use in Windows 7 - 32 Bit 

Archived