PCI HDMI card

wayned

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, wayned said:

I did buy 2 x 2GB of Ram and replaced the 2 x 1GB of RAM that was in the computer so I now have 4GB of RAM. I had 2GB and now have 4GB so  I "added" 2GB of RAM.  It made sense to me!  I can buy 2 x 4GB of RAM for 348 baht and replace the 2 x2GB of RAm that is there now and then I would add another4GB of RAM and have 8GB of RAM.  The questionis will it make it any faster than it is now?

image.png.155230fde9168bb06ed62df379f465fe.png

Yeah... I wanted to see the SPD tab. But it seems you prefer the Memory tab. ???? No need anymore.

A good price for 2 x 4 GB of RAM. It won't make any difference if you have Windows 7 32 bit installed. As a 32 bit operating system cannot address the extra RAM at all.

For that you need a 64 bit OS.

Noticed that I overlooked something else. I took the specs from the Longwell computer website and assumed they were the same as yours;

http://www.longwellcom.com/product/4679/mainboard-775-g31

http://www.longwellcom.com/product/50902/mainboard-775-g31s

So I erred on the side of caution telling you that the Core2Duo E6850 was perhaps the limit for your board. But in fact your board is slightly different and claims to be able to accept a Core2Quad, such as the https://www.lazada.co.th/products/core-2-quad-q6600-i267344736-s417719561.html 

4.png.c15edb20f49eed30c3dcaf1096ffdf3e.png

5.png.39c9c9d551f3292c5c9f470aa706f242.png

Perhaps an upgrade for the future.

You can even ask if it supports https://www.lazada.co.th/products/cpu-775-core-2-quad-q9500-6m-cache-283-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb-i337996036-s654412448.htmlhttps://www.facebook.com/longwellcom/

The specs suggest a max of 4GB of RAM;

Brand :LONGWELL Model :INTEL G31LMS CPU Support :Intel® Celeron Intel® Celeron D Intel® Celeron Dual-Core Intel® Core 2 Duo Intel® Core 2 Quad Intel® Pentium 4 Intel® Pentium D Intel® Pentium Dual Core Socket :775 Memory Support :Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Technology 2 x DDR2 DIMM Slots Support DDR2 667/800 MHz Max.capacity up to 4GB Memory Memory Type :DDR2 Memory Bus :667 / 800 MHz Memory Slot :2 Slots Chipset :Intel G31 Express North Bridge Intel ICH7 South Bridge chipsets Audio :Supports 6 channels sound input( ex: Realtek ALC662) Supports 16-bit ADC (Analog Digital Converter) Supports multipls stereo input mixer FSB :processors with 800/1066/1333 MHz FSB Expansion Slots :1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x16 mode) 1 x PCI Slot Storage :4 x SATA2 Connector Internal I/O Connectors :1 x 24-pin EATX Power Connector 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power Connector 1 x CPU Fan Connector 2 x F USB 2.0 Connector 1 x Front Panel Audio Connector (AAFP) 1 x Speaker Connector 1 x System Panel Connector Back Panel Connectors :1 x PS/2 Mouse Port 1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port 1 x VGA (D-Sub) Port 1 x Serial Port (Com1) 1 x Parallel Port (LPT) 4 x USB 2.0 Port 1 x RJ-45 LAN port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED) 3 x Audio Jacks: Line in / Speaker / Microphone LAN :10/100/1000 Mb/s auto negotiation Half/Full duplex capability Realtek® RTL8105E Form Factor :Micro ATX Form Factor Dimension: 21.2 cm x 17.0cm Operating System Support :Microsoft® Window® XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 Warranty :1Y

5 minutes ago, wayned said:

Gadget's been there for a while.   Currently 56% and have never noticed it over 77%.  Windows 7, 32 bit and I just verified that the max RAM is 4GB.

When you eventually run a clean install, you can install the 64 bit version of whichever operating system. Then you'll note that all 4 GB of RAM will be utilised. 

29 minutes ago, ignis said:

Download the small gadget on your desktop so you can easily monitor your RAM usage.

that way you will know if you need to add more Ram..

eg: I have 16 GB [4 x 4GB] I like to have a few windows open at the same time... it uses about 44 - 56%  if I take 3 out so only have 4 GB it tries to run = slow and keep stopping at 96 - 99%..  [edit: use Windows 10 - 64 Bit]

The main question is are you running 64 Bit ? You said on 1st page you are running 32 bit then NO adding more Ram will do nothing as far as I can remember 4 GB is the Max you can use in Windows 7 - 32 Bit 

No SSD installed?

Actually now that I have the graphics card working properly with sound and a new power supply, that I haven't paid for yet, (whoops, I forgot),  I'm satisfied for now.  Thanks for all of your help!

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

No SSD installed?

I assume that you mean the Toshiba 240GB falsh drive.  I don't see it or the HDD anywhere but it's definitely installed as the computer runs fine with the HDD disconnected.  Heres the SPD display.

image.png.3a7c84bab8a4889fd43a465288ef1a1f.png

Just now, wayned said:

I assume that you mean the Toshiba 240GB falsh drive.  I don't see it or the HDD anywhere but it's definitely installed as the computer runs fine with the HDD disconnected.  Heres the SPD display.

image.png.3a7c84bab8a4889fd43a465288ef1a1f.png

I was asking ignis. I know you have a Toshiba 240 GB SSD.

8 minutes ago, wayned said:

Actually now that I have the graphics card working properly with sound and a new power supply, that I haven't paid for yet, (whoops, I forgot),  I'm satisfied for now.  Thanks for all of your help!

Should be a lot better than it was before.

CPU upgrade is only if your usage changes in the future. At least you know there is a possibility of upgrading the CPU for not much.

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

No SSD installed?

No not yet,  have inside 3 x 1 TB WD HDD's + USB 1 TB + a 2 TB WD My Passport, the one USB HDD is used for constant backup - guess that take some of the Ram as it is always backing up.. have a Full Case so lots of room and can install 4 x SSD, will get around to it one day.

11 hours ago, ignis said:

No not yet,  have inside 3 x 1 TB WD HDD's + USB 1 TB + a 2 TB WD My Passport, the one USB HDD is used for constant backup - guess that take some of the Ram as it is always backing up.. have a Full Case so lots of room and can install 4 x SSD, will get around to it one day.

You should definitely have an SSD for at least the Boot drive. With the others it isn't as important. 

Since I finally have everything working to my likeing, I went out and treated myself to a mew Acer ED 322Q 32"' monitor.  It came yesterday and I hooked it up this morning.  This is the first time that I have used the computer without glasses in a loooooog time.  It's great and I think that the curvature makes it easier to read.

13 hours ago, JamJar said:

You should definitely have an SSD for at least the Boot drive. With the others it isn't as important. 

How much faster for the Boot drive ?  my present 'C' partition in a 1 TB HDD takes 39 - 53 secs every morning............  when I come down I switch on go to the kitchen and put the coffee on, when I come back it is ready to go.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Since I finally have everything working to my likeing, I went out and treated myself to a mew Acer ED 322Q 32"' monitor.  It came yesterday and I hooked it up this morning.  This is the first time that I have used the computer without glasses in a loooooog time.  It's great and I think that the curvature makes it easier to read.

For sure, change to a 32" about 7 years ago..  wear varifocal so had to sit right hold my head right, sit still  or screen blurred if you started moving in the chair

10 hours ago, ignis said:

How much faster for the Boot drive ?  my present 'C' partition in a 1 TB HDD takes 39 - 53 secs every morning............  when I come down I switch on go to the kitchen and put the coffee on, when I come back it is ready to go.

It's not just about start up times, which of course will be a lot quicker than before. Mainly due to the combination of the solid state drive and the large amount of RAM.

Yours start up times are mitigated by the large amount of RAM. But it is still held back by the fact that everything has to be loaded into RAM from the relatively slow HDD. 

Mechanical HDD will almost always be the bottleneck of a computer system. I don't imagine that you have a terrible CPU, as you have chosen to fit 16 GB of RAM.

11 hours ago, wayned said:

There's that budget out of the Window. :)

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

There's that budget out of the Window. ????

I actually tried to get my 32"TV to work as the system monitor but was never sucessful due to the way Radeon processes the picture when they detect that you are using a TV as the system monitor.  Nivida and intel have a manual correction in their menu that you are able to size the picture to the screen without losing data.  The problem is due to normal "overscan" when displaying the picture on a TV.  Radeon used to have this correction method also but eliminated and incorporated an automatic correction.  Unfortunately this automatic correction fits the picture to the screen by "croping" about 6% of the picture on both the right and left side.  What happens is that any data normally displayed there is cutoff and no matter what you do you can't get it to display even if your TV has horizontal picture size adjustments since the picture that Radeon presents is already cropped!  I have discussed this at length with the REp in HK and he agrees.  He sent me an email yesterday that ask me to try a new "beta" driver that has added back a correction method but now that I have the monitor I Okay with what I have.  If I had bought the monitor from Lazada with the TV displayed checout page I would have nebver known how much I paid.

5 hours ago, wayned said:

I actually tried to get my 32"TV to work as the system monitor but was never sucessful due to the way Radeon processes the picture when they detect that you are using a TV as the system monitor.  Nivida and intel have a manual correction in their menu that you are able to size the picture to the screen without losing data.  The problem is due to normal "overscan" when displaying the picture on a TV.  Radeon used to have this correction method also but eliminated and incorporated an automatic correction.  Unfortunately this automatic correction fits the picture to the screen by "croping" about 6% of the picture on both the right and left side.  What happens is that any data normally displayed there is cutoff and no matter what you do you can't get it to display even if your TV has horizontal picture size adjustments since the picture that Radeon presents is already cropped!  I have discussed this at length with the REp in HK and he agrees.  He sent me an email yesterday that ask me to try a new "beta" driver that has added back a correction method but now that I have the monitor I Okay with what I have.  If I had bought the monitor from Lazada with the TV displayed checout page I would have nebver known how much I paid.

I cannot say that I have experienced this at all. I also have an old Radeon card in my PC, HD4350 or some such and use an old 40" Full HD TV to watch Full HD media.

Some TV have a separate port for PC input; https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00030375

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

It's not just about start up times, which of course will be a lot quicker than before. Mainly due to the combination of the solid state drive and the large amount of RAM.

Yours start up times are mitigated by the large amount of RAM. But it is still held back by the fact that everything has to be loaded into RAM from the relatively slow HDD. 

Mechanical HDD will almost always be the bottleneck of a computer system. I don't imagine that you have a terrible CPU, as you have chosen to fit 16 GB of RAM.

have a so so CPU......... getting on in years..  AMD FX-8350 Black Edition with the  AMD R9 290X 4GB Graphics card.

Always had AMD since day 1, many many years and builds ago, same with laptop alway had AMD

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

I cannot say that I have experienced this at all. I also have an old Radeon card in my PC, HD4350 or some such and use an old 40" Full HD TV to watch Full HD media.

Some TV have a separate port for PC input; https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00030375

It seems that the HK Rep agrees with what I said.  Maybe the driver for the older card has the older software that corrected the overscan properly.  Evidently he discussed this problem with their engineering and came back with asking me to try the "beta" driver.  I'm not worried as the 32" Acer monitor works fine and the display is duplicated correctly on my old Samsung 45" plasma TV.

14 hours ago, ignis said:

have a so so CPU......... getting on in years..  AMD FX-8350 Black Edition with the  AMD R9 290X 4GB Graphics card.

Always had AMD since day 1, many many years and builds ago, same with laptop alway had AMD

I would hazard a guess of a start up time to fully loaded and ready for use from pressing the power button, of less than twenty seconds. 

13 hours ago, wayned said:

It seems that the HK Rep agrees with what I said.  Maybe the driver for the older card has the older software that corrected the overscan properly.  Evidently he discussed this problem with their engineering and came back with asking me to try the "beta" driver.  I'm not worried as the 32" Acer monitor works fine and the display is duplicated correctly on my old Samsung 45" plasma TV.

As long as it all works, we can all relax. ????

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

As long as it all works, we can all relax. ????

Windows crashed last night.  I have some old tires and a container of diesel fuel and I noticed that they sell marshmallows at Tesco. it is a 80 kilometre journey to get them so I just might try reloading Windows. Works Okay in safe mode with networking, using it now, but won't start normally keeps emitting a sound like I'm trying to input something when I shouldn't be and finally shuts down and tries to reboot.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

Windows crashed last night.  I have some old tires and a container of diesel fuel and I noticed that they sell marshmallows at Tesco. it is a 80 kilometre journey to get them so I just might try reloading Windows. Works Okay in safe mode with networking, using it now, but won't start normally keeps emitting a sound like I'm trying to input something when I shouldn't be and finally shuts down and tries to reboot.

Does that mean that you are going to have a go with Windows 10 64 bit?

When I got up it booted properly and windows was up and running and still is.  Intermittent problems are a real PITA to find and fix.

I think that it means that I am seriously considering  starting from scratch with a new computer.  There are some parts that I can salvage - hopefully not the one with the intermittent.

Windows still working Okay, the gremlins must be sleeping.

Okay ignis and JamJar if I bite the bullet and start from scratch, I assume that I should start with a CPU with integrated graphics and a motherboard that supports the CPU with a D-sub(VGA) connector and an HDMI connector at the minimum so that I can drive the monitor and the TV..

Knowing my requirements as a casual user who  only wants to watch streamed video on the TV, no gaming, what are your recommendations for a CPU and motherboard at a reasonable price.  Obviously not an Intel1151 Core 17 CPU which would cost as much as I would want to pay for the final beast!  JIB.co.th has a vast selection of components and even a build your own computer App.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

Windows still working Okay, the gremlins must be sleeping.

Okay ignis and JamJar if I bite the bullet and start from scratch, I assume that I should start with a CPU with integrated graphics and a motherboard that supports the CPU with a D-sub(VGA) connector and an HDMI connector at the minimum so that I can drive the monitor and the TV..

Knowing my requirements as a casual user who  only wants to watch streamed video on the TV, no gaming, what are your recommendations for a CPU and motherboard at a reasonable price.  Obviously not an Intel1151 Core 17 CPU which would cost as much as I would want to pay for the final beast!  JIB.co.th has a vast selection of components and even a build your own computer App.

Why don't you just have a go with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the old equipment in the first instance?

The main requirement I would look for in a new Motherboard, would be the ability to accept and boot from PCIe SSD(NVMe SSD).

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

Why don't you just have a go with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the old equipment in the first instance?

The main requirement I would look for in a new Motherboard, would be the ability to accept and boot from PCIe SSD(NVMe SSD).

I've been fighting with this <deleted> for well over a year now.  It had windows XP reloaded a number of times, a new motherboard,  an SSD added, Windows 7 loaded once and reloaded again, a new case a new power supply and even a fan added. I forgot the DVD drive that also failed. And , of course, the graphics card which I am beginning to think is the cause of my latest problems.  When I turn it on I never know if it is going to work.  It work all day yesterday with no problems and when I turned it on this morning it booted but there was a problem with windows with a "beeping" random signal like an illegal input would cause and the picture was reduced in size.  I turned it off, unplugged the HDMI cable anf it booted fine anf now is working.

If I am going to do it I'm going to start from scratch and build a new one, or have the tech build it for me.  I built one on the JIB "spec computer" site  and in the end it would cost 71,000 baht, a little much.  The site is actually nice, you first pick the CPU that you want and next it gives you a selection of motherboards that are compatible and you go from there.

When this one was built around 2006, intel pentium 4 was the Cadillac of CPU's and about all that was available.  Now there's pages and pages of CPUs that do just about everything and I really don't have a clue where to start.

What about something like this?  Price is still a little higher than I want but it's a start.  I gave up trying to find a case to fit the motherboard so I just picked one for grins.

image.png.59c9cf2effeeb39d6a818d668ffab2a0.png

Archived