Probation Department’s rented EMs for paroled prisoners are useless

webfact

Probation Department’s rented EMs for paroled prisoners are useless

Capture3.png

The electronic monitoring (EM) bracelets, rented from a private company by the Department of Probation to keep track of prisoners on parole, have been found to be ineffective.

Deputy justice permanent secretary Thawatchai Khaikhaeo and the spokesman of the Justice Ministry told a media conference Monday that the investigating committee, set up on August 9th to probe the Chinese-made bracelets, completed its investigation last Friday.

The committee ruled the EM bracelets useless, because the devices could be easily removed from the wrist, without the need to cut the strap, and returned to the wrist just as easily.

Some of the paroled prisoners were found to be allergic to the bracelets, which allegedly caused itchy or infected rashes on their arms. The probe team noted that this fails to meet the terms of reference because the devices must be approved by a reliable institution to ensure that they are safe and will not cause an allergic reaction.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/probation-departments-rented-ems-for-paroled-prisoners-are-useless/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-27

Some countries ( like mostly ) have 100% working and good devices, but of course it's again to much for Thailand to admit that and they will try to make or find the good Thai ones. what  will result in "lost" of a lot of money.

I wonder how they found out that they were easy to take off ??? Some scoundrel takes it off, leaves in his apartment ... takes off for a weekends worth of punch ups, rapes and the drug scene then returns Monday morning placing the device back on again .... meanwhile ... "Hey Ltn., this guy on the screen hasn't moved for 48 hours ... do you think he maybe dead ???"

12 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

I wonder how they found out that they were easy to take off ??? Some scoundrel takes it off, leaves in his apartment ... takes off for a weekends worth of punch ups, rapes and the drug scene then returns Monday morning placing the device back on again .... meanwhile ... "Hey Ltn., this guy on the screen hasn't moved for 48 hours ... do you think he maybe dead ???"

If you followed the news they tried it on the justice minister assistant or something and tried to get it off.. it went off easy (this was a test after some complaints)

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Chinese-made bracelets

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Nothing New here, buying or renting defective goods, but surely someone will have gained financially ????

Usual Chinese sub-standard goods... hope you still go the receipt !

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The electronic monitoring (EM) bracelets, rented from a private company by the Department of Probation to keep track of prisoners on parole, have been found to be ineffective.

Which doesn't mean they won't continue to be used.

When it was proven to the Police and Military that the GT200 bomb detectors were fake, they continued to use them because they were better than nothing. While the Military wanted to share in the foreign compensation lawsuits against the dealer, it wouldn't testify in criminal court against the dealer.

I see the same happening with the fake tracking bracelets.

8 hours ago, Credo said:

I suspect a lot of people have a reaction to having to wear one, but I didn't know allergic reactions were so common.   

The hot and humid environment may be a factor, as well as the chemical composition of the plastics used in the EMDs. If manufactured in China, there may be a quality control issue on many levels.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Some of the paroled prisoners were found to be allergic to the bracelets, which allegedly caused itchy or infected rashes on their arms

I can believe that. Whether I wear a plastic strap or a leather one, after a few days in Thailand my wrist gets red and itchy under the strap. I wear the same watches in the UK and nothing. 

Archived