Not charging

luckyluke

I have an acer Aspire E5-475, bought at Lazada (maybe not the best idea, but I am 71, and not that mobile anymore). 

It only works with the power cable, shows it is charging but doesn't. 

I am at 50% now, bought it in April. Use it daily. 

Can it still work with the power cable when battery shows 0?

Or will I need another battery or maybe better a new laptop? 

Please be concise and not technical. 

I am Belgian, and English is my 4th language. 

It was mandatory when I was young to first know the 3 National languages (Flemish-French-German) before learning English. 

Thank you. 

You can use the laptop even if the battery is flat or removed.

I use my laptop at home with battery removed.

Bought in April, so only 4 months old!

Normally this would be a case for warranty.

Warranty:1 Years Warranty by Acer 

Acer Call Cente : 02-685-4311 / http://register.acer.co.th/WarrantyCheck/warr_chk.aspx

http://register.acer.co.th/WarrantyCheck/warr_chk.aspx

You can enter the serial number of your device to check.

Thanks KhunBENQ for your concrete answer.

I checked and I have a warranty till 20 march 2020, however I stupidly lost the invoice from Lazada ( If there was one ).

But if it still work after the battery is 0, I am happy enough with this.

Thanks again.

I have a Samsung laptop, the battery life is at best 45 minutes when not plugged in, I have it plugged into the mains when I switch it on and is left like that until I hit the sack at about 23.30 hrs.

I have been using it like this for about 7 years.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Otherwise you have to take laptop and charger to a some repair shop.

Most likely you will have to pay for a battery exchange.

(they can usually exchange even if the battery is built-in)

Give this a try:

1 - unplug the computer, and run it off the battery until the battery goes dead  (be prepared for this, save all necessary stuff etc)

2 - try to boot from the dead battery, and if it does let it run out again.  Keep doing this, the idea is to drain the battery as much as possible

3 - remove battery, leave it out overnight or more.  You can try unplugging the computer, putting the battery in again and booting from it, but DO NOT LET IT CHARGE!  The idea is

to make the battery dead dead dead.  Keep doing #2 as often as necessary.  Of course you can use your computer from the electrical supply in the meantime, just keep the battery out.

4 - Once you are convinced the battery is as dead as possible put it back in the computer, with the computer turned OFF, and let the battery charge.  Best to do this before going to bed, so you give it all night to charge.  Hopefully things will be better the next day, and the battery will be back to 100%.

In order to do #1 you may have to change some of your Windows settings regarding battery use and power; you may want to read about how to do this in a language you are more comfortable with, the idea is that "battery life" is down to 0.

Best of luck.

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Give this a try:

The battery is not easy to take out, inside the laptop with different screws. 

Not something for me, being totally unhandy.

I don't even have any kind of work tools. 

Thanks anyway. 

Lucky Luke, if you are using Windows 10 or windows 8, please try the following. It might seem difficult but take your time with it.

1. left click on the windows Start icon in the bottom left and type "cmd".

2. You will see a highlighted entry called "command prompt". Right click on that and choose "Run as Administrator". I new window with a black screen will open. The is the Command Prompt window.

3. Type the following command in the command prompt window without the "". "powercfg /batteryreport" You can also copy this and right click in the command prompt window to paste it. (Note the space after powercfg).

You should get a message on screen saying a report was saved.

4. Open your internet browser and type or copy and paste this address in the address bar: C:\WINDOWS\system32\battery-report.html and hit enter. You will then see the report.

5. If you can copy the report and paste it here in a message, we can look it it. Or the easier way is to look for three things.

a. Design capacity number

b. Full charge capacity number

c. Cycle count number

If you can tell us those three things, it will be a good starting point.

Sorry if the above is technical. Just work through it slowly and ask questions if you have problems.

Farangwithaplan, with all respect, this is too much for me.

I clicked on the icon and don't even find where to type "cmd".

And that is suppose to be the most easiest part.

I appreciate your input, but please let us keep it simple (for me).

I have now 37% left from 50 a few days ago.

Soon it will be 0 ( I assume )

Will see then.

12 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Farangwithaplan, with all respect, this is too much for me.

I clicked on the icon and don't even find where to type "cmd".

Just start typing after you click the icon. Keep persisting if you can Luke. If not, ask someone to help you.

Or just keep asking questions. I know these things can be difficult.

EDIT: I just found this You Tube video. It is only 3 minutes long. At 2 minutes 15 seconds he does something a little different to me but you will get the same result.

Look here:

You keep trying to help me, and I don't want to do what you tell me.

I assume frustrating for you, sorry.

i have received a concrete answer  to my question, it seems my laptop will still work with a power cable when the battery indicate 0.

I will let it know here if it is the case.

29 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I know these things can be difficult.

Thanks again to everyone, sorry again if I don't do what some expect I should do.

A forum is a place where one can obtain answers to questions, and that is great.

It is up to each one in particular to decide what to do with those answers. 

17 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

wasn't only posting that for your benefit, others might read this post and use the information if they every have issues.

Of course, sorry for my selfishness. 

Let's blame my age for it. 

Only pleasant thing when one is old, one can blame old-age for a lot of things. 

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

Give this a try:

1 - unplug the computer, and run it off the battery until the battery goes dead  (be prepared for this, save all necessary stuff etc)

2 - try to boot from the dead battery, and if it does let it run out again.  Keep doing this, the idea is to drain the battery as much as possible

3 - remove battery, leave it out overnight or more.  You can try unplugging the computer, putting the battery in again and booting from it, but DO NOT LET IT CHARGE!  The idea is

to make the battery dead dead dead.  Keep doing #2 as often as necessary.  Of course you can use your computer from the electrical supply in the meantime, just keep the battery out.

4 - Once you are convinced the battery is as dead as possible put it back in the computer, with the computer turned OFF, and let the battery charge.  Best to do this before going to bed, so you give it all night to charge.  Hopefully things will be better the next day, and the battery will be back to 100%.

In order to do #1 you may have to change some of your Windows settings regarding battery use and power; you may want to read about how to do this in a language you are more comfortable with, the idea is that "battery life" is down to 0.

Best of luck.

The motherboard and battery monitoring chips are the master control and one should not keep cycling the discharge once the monitoring chip has sent its minimum message to the OS. Lithium batteries charge in stages and can permanatly fail stage one if not satified with the voltage level.

Many charge failures are caused by the batteries onboard monitoring chip going faulty or it not being satisfied with monitored values. 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, luckyluke said:

I checked and I have a warranty till 20 march 2020, however I stupidly lost the invoice from Lazada ( If there was one ).

Thanks again.

Log into your Lazada account. Click on account name and Go to "My Orders" There you can display and print a copy of your order.

It's possible that your laptop will not work after the battery reaches "0," if the power adapter/charger is faulty, which is one of the most common causes of a battery not charging. KhunBENQ gave you good advice, call the Acer Service Center. They'll try to fix the problem over the phone, and refer you to a service center if they can't. You shouldn't need a receipt if your laptop was registered by the seller when you purchased it. 

Batteries and power adapters are not cheap, and should be free if your machine is under warranty. Also, have you tried a different wall outlet/ mains to plug your laptop into? Surge protectors and power strips can easily go bad if you're using one. Try connecting directly into a wall outlet and bypass the power strip or surge protector if you're using one, or a different wall outlet if you're plugged directly into a wall outlet.

The battery on my old Acer (or might have been Asus) laptop died completely quite suddenly at about 1 year old.. A replacement was 1500bt (15% of the new laptop cost)... It all worked fine for another 2 or 3 years until the screen failed totally.

I now have a new laptop 'Lenovo ideapad 300".  I usually leave it plugged in and the only time it goes onto battery power is on a power failure (which as we know can be quite frequent). After about 1 year the battery started running out after just a few minutes without power, but i found a "Lenovo Battery Management" options page and changed the battery setting from "optimise battery health" to "maximise battery life".  There is also the option to do a "full discharge" (which I did), and it's been working fine for well over a year now, and it runs for well over an hour with no mains power.

OK.. so for me to find this (your's may be different..)

Click on the battery/power icon in the lower right side of your screen (for me anyway on Win8), then "more power options".  This brings up a "control panel" page of "power options" (you can probably go via the control panel menu to get to the same place...).  in the Choose or customize a power plan, I have selected "Balanced (recommended)", but then "Change plan setting".    At the bottom of this page there's an option to "Change advance power settings".  This brings up a small "power options" window with a tab "Lenovo Energy Management".  This then allows you to "enable Lenovo Energy Management", which brings up a separate window with the battery options (incl deep discharging).

Good luck..

edit.. To add, running without a battery (or a totally flat battery) can potentially cause serious problems if the power goes off whilst the Hard disc is being written to, as it can cause a crash... or so I've been told.)

Thanks again.

Log in to your Lazada account, and go to "My Account". From there click on "My Orders" . From there click on show all orders in 2019... and you can see your order and delivery details. Print that out and it is your invoice.

Firstly, I know we're not talking about Acer.

The new Acer laptop machines have a setting in their "Acer Care" program in the start menu where the battery charge can be limited to 80%.  Then if you want to leave the laptop plugged in for ever more, you can do so without ruining the battery by over-charging it.  When set, the charge level never rises above 80%.  There is also a "Battery conditioning" section that automatically does what previous posters have suggested, but without you having to twiddle anything to get the battery to fully discharge.

Maybe it is worth having a look in your start menu to see if your manufacturer has yet got around to implementing this function?

Totally confused with most of the reactions here. 

Sure it will help others than me, who understands, or want to learn. 

For me at my age and without any technical background, I do not want to learn because I don't want to complicate my life. 

If not work I bring my laptop to a repair shop, or by a new one. 

I don't want to show off here, but a new one cost only about 12-15000 Thb. 

Maybe less, there are always ones in promotion. 

yes @luckyluke you can use the acer laptop with charger, with battery at 0% or removed...

done the same for over 4 years on my Acer laptop.

Try the possible cure;

remove battery

wrap battery in waterproof wrap

put wrapped battery into your freezer, over night

next day, take from freezer, and slowly thaw (in fridge) but keep wrapped.

next morning remove from fridge, and let slowly warm to room temperature (still wrapped)

That next night, unwrap when now at room temperature and insert into laptop.

Turn on Power to the charger, but leave laptop OFF for another few hours.

Finally, turn on laptop, and after a little while remove the charger and note how well the battery level is now... The laptop should be able to stay ON with battery only

22 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am sorry I don't want to be rude, but this become ridiculous in my opinion. 

In a fridge! 

What's next. Sleep with it between yourself and a lady? 

I start to feel sorry to have start this topic. 

yes it sounds weird... but is a valid test for suspected bad Lithium batteries

I put the 'fridge' extra step, as in Thailand; if you removed the battery from the freezer, and open the battery warp immediately - your battery fill be swamped in condensation (not good for all that electronics circuitry found inside a Lithium battery pack) 

the idea is to (slowly) allow the battery to warm back to room temperature

the 'freezer' trick works well for mobile phone lithium batteries too! 

if your battery is still 'bad' after the freezer trick... oh well... at least you got a laugh out of having a dead battery

I have an acer Aspire E5-475, bought at Lazada (maybe not the best idea, but I am 71, and not that mobile anymore). 

It only works with the power cable, shows it is charging but doesn't. 

I am at 50% now, bought it in April. Use it daily. 

Can it still work with the power cable when battery shows 0?

Or will I need another battery or maybe better a new laptop?

Yes you can. I have a Acer laptop with the same problem and have used it

daily like that for four years.

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

You keep trying to help me, and I don't want to do what you tell me.

I assume frustrating for you, sorry.

i have received a concrete answer  to my question, it seems my laptop will still work with a power cable when the battery indicate 0.

I will let it know here if it is the case.

Thanks again to everyone, sorry again if I don't do what some expect I should do.

A forum is a place where one can obtain answers to questions, and that is great.

It is up to each one in particular to decide what to do with those answers. 

mon laptop Dell avait le meme probleme, j'ai enleve la batterie cela fais 4 ans et il travail toujours, ne t'inquiete pas... le seul inconvenient il a fallu enlever la batterie car si la batterie etait connecte parfois le laptop ne detectait pas le courant mais ca parce que c'etait dell d'autres fabricant peut etre pas de problemes, bonne chance

MODS... I know we are not supposed to write on a different language the English, the above text has nothing bad on it besides explaining the same issue I had and the step taken to solve, thus appreciate if let it go in French

Thanks again.

You should be able to access Lazada online for a record of your purchase.

I ran a laptop off the power cable with a defunct battery for several years.

Archived