Not charging

luckyluke

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am sorry I don't want to be rude, but this become ridiculous in my opinion. 

In a fridge! 

What's next. Sleep with it between yourself and a lady? 

I start to feel sorry to have start this topic. 

I feel your pain LL. Just be careful not to insert a frozen fish finger from the freezer into the laptop by mistake - the old eyesight isn't what it used to be!!

3 hours ago, tifino said:

yes @luckyluke you can use the acer laptop with charger, with battery at 0% or removed...

done the same for over 4 years on my Acer laptop.

Try the possible cure;

remove battery

wrap battery in waterproof wrap

put wrapped battery into your freezer, over night

next day, take from freezer, and slowly thaw (in fridge) but keep wrapped.

next morning remove from fridge, and let slowly warm to room temperature (still wrapped)

That next night, unwrap when now at room temperature and insert into laptop.

Turn on Power to the charger, but leave laptop OFF for another few hours.

Finally, turn on laptop, and after a little while remove the charger and note how well the battery level is now... The laptop should be able to stay ON with battery only

This is mostly an unknown trick that works is many cases, particularly lithium photographic and phone batteries.. The ice forming causes a bridge between cells in the battery..

It is known as a way of conditioning a battery giving poor performance.. But is is crucial that after overnight to 24 hrs in the freezer, that it then reaches room temp without any remaining condensation in the battery.. Then unwrap and leave for a further 12 hours before charging.. 

I was formerly a photographic service manager in Oz, and can attest to it working in many cases.. A great way to rejuvenate old cells..

I would also suggest putting battery afterwards into a zip seal bag with 3 TS of RICE for a further 12 hrs to draw out any remaining moisture.. 

3 minutes ago, owenm said:

This is mostly an unknown trick that works is many cases, particularly lithium photographic and phone batteries.. The ice forming causes a bridge between cells in the battery..

It is known as a way of conditioning a battery giving poor performance.. But is is crucial that after overnight to 24 hrs in the freezer, that it then reaches room temp without any remaining condensation in the battery.. Then unwrap and leave for a further 12 hours before charging.. 

I was formerly a photographic service manager in Oz, and can attest to it working in many cases.. A great way to rejuvenate old cells..

I would also suggest putting battery afterwards into a zip seal bag with 3 TS of RICE for a further 12 hrs to draw out any remaining moisture.. 

I would have thought forming a bridge between cells was the last thing you want. That was the cause of the battery fires in the Samsung phones that were banned on aircraft worldwide a couple of years ago. A short circuit between cells is not a good thing in any battery.

Not doubting that freezing a li-ion battery might work, I have no knowledge in that area, but it won't be reconditioned because of bridging between cells., quite the opposite.

On August 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM, luckyluke said:

Thanks KhunBENQ for your concrete answer.

I checked and I have a warranty till 20 march 2020, however I stupidly lost the invoice from Lazada ( If there was one ).

But if it still work after the battery is 0, I am happy enough with this.

Thanks again.

You do not need any invoice or any paper, simply go to your Acer Service center and they will replace the battery for you.  If they want to charge anything simply keep it this way and use it connected to wall power.   

1. YES it will work fine on a power cable. But be aware if the power goes out you have no back up and may lose work. Same as a PC.

2 . You could take it to authorised shop and have the battery issue addressed under warranty.

3. Take it to a computer repair and just tell them you want the battery replaced.

Three simple options or choices for you. ????

You definitely wouldn't need to get another laptop based on what you have said.

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I would have thought forming a bridge between cells was the last thing you want. That was the cause of the battery fires in the Samsung phones that were banned on aircraft worldwide a couple of years ago. A short circuit between cells is not a good thing in any battery.

Not doubting that freezing a li-ion battery might work, I have no knowledge in that area, but it won't be reconditioned because of bridging between cells., quite the opposite.

He had been referring to the 'bridge' formed by the ice, but moreso the wet shorts,  from condensation if allowed to warm/thaw too quickly 

Re-reading the OP, it's not totally clear whether there is actually any problem....

You say you are at 50% charged & not charging - this is quite normal.  Often it doesn't attempt to try to charge until the battery starts to get more flat.   If you unplug it does the laptop immediately switch off, or does it simply switch over to battery power and then for how long does it work?

Battery life is usually determined by the number of cycles, but it makes little differencs whether it's a full discharge - recharge  cycle of just a partial cycle...  It's still one cycle less life left.

So if you normally operate on mains power, the battery should never get to be used (apart from the odd power cut or voltage dip), although it will slowly discharge (leak) over time....  But the system should recognise the battery is dropping in charge and only fully recharge it when it NEEDS it, rather than keeping it topped up (since this uses up recharge cycles).  If you do often use it standalone, then it may change its management to keep it more fully charged.

So try running it not plugged into mains power - down to say 20% (where it should prompt you to save any work).  If you then plug it in it SHOULD recharge fully.

I hope this is clear enough for you... I can't make it any simpler I'm sorry... 

15 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Steve73, my laptop doesn't work at all when the power cable is removed. 

But when plugged in it shows 50% charged, not recharging.....right?

So your battery is either totally u/s, or, the laptop is incorrectly seeing it as not fully discharged, and so doesn't want to try to recharge it (to save cycles).  You need to get into the "battery management system" (as per my post yesterday), and force it to do a "conditioning" cycle, which will also allow it to update it's charge parameters.. (the voltage drops fractionally from full to empty, and the laptop use this to determine its state of charge, but it may be a little off).  

2 minutes ago, steve73 said:

You need to get into

Again I don't want to offend anyone, and appreciate everyone's help, but I don't want to get into nothing. 

Unless someone tell me something simple for me as : " you press  F1 and that's it." 

35 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Steve73 it may be sad for you, fair enough. 

Try to understand that there are people who have an aversion on everything which is technical. 

I am one of those. 

Thanks again. 

Surely you know someone who has perhaps slightly better English ability and can follow simple instruction..?  If not then I am genuinely sad fr you..

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

Surely you know someone who has perhaps slightly better English ability and can follow simple instruction.

I got a few good advices here, one of them was :

"If it doesn't work, go to a repair shop". 

This was my primary idea too, before posting here. 

And that's what I will finally do. 

I have to make a post on this topic. The OP opened this on a DIY type of forum here and now says he does not want to do anything more complicated than push an F1 button or something as simple,,,,,,,,,,he says the laptop is new,,,,,,,,,I think the mods need to step in here and close this topic as there is no longer a reason to try to help this person. He should take the machine to a shop for possible warranty repair or pay to fix it as he cannot or will not do what others have tried to help him. This back and forth at this point is a waste of time. As is my posting here.

44 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

his back and forth at this point is a waste of time

I am happy with the (some) reactions I received here.

A wise poster let me know that it wasn't all about me, and if I didn't want to do all the things I was told, it could be very interesting for others, the more technical designed.

So indeed up to moderation to decide what will further happen with this topic.

At 36% now, so apparently a while before O, and before I will know what will concretely happen.

• 1 month later...

Battery 0 now since Saturday,

still working when power cable plugged in, not without.

Battery icon constantly mention :

"0% available ( plugged in, charging),

but apparently it doesn't.

Just for info,

I don't need to know why, or what can be done about it.

I still can use my laptop, I am happy.

57 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Battery icon constantly mention :

"0% available ( plugged in, charging),

but apparently it doesn't.

Welcome to the future of electric mobility with Li-ion batteries :tongue:

The battery is irrecoverably dead.

1) If you switch off all protection mechanisms of Windows (or some kind of a glitch) and let a Li-ion battery run down to 0, it is dead as a dodo.

2) Buy a cheap torchlight with a 3.7V Li-Ion battery and forget to switch if off: battery dead.

I experienced both 1) and 2) :dry:

I bought a new Lenovo notebook recently and of course it has a built-in fixed battery.

But Lenovo SW has nice feature that allows to stop charging the battery at about 50% for use on AC.

It's considered to improve battery life because 100% full at all time is another state that the delicate Li-Ion batteries don't like.

• 2 weeks later...

For info :

Laptop still not work when power cable unplugged.

But now :

Battery icon : " No battery is detected "

Settings : Battery / Overview = 100 %

But as I can use my laptop, these signals are not important for me.

It may be for the experts.

Archived